The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Aberdeen can this afternoon confirm that midfielder Peter Pawlett suffered a broken arm during the 1-0 victory over Dundee United at Tannadice on Wednesday night. Peter, who was making his 191st appearance for the club, was substituted during the game after 62 minutes. He is likely to be out of action for some time.

Aberdeen can also confirm that they are to appeal the yellow card given to Graeme Shinnie during the same match against Dundee United on Wednesday. The Dons left back was booked in the 36th minute for simulation.

Simulation is the only offence for which the awarding of a yellow card can be appealed against.

bugger, I was hoping pee-paw would come good.

I don't completely blame the season ticket holders in the RDL. It's a much better stand than the Merkland in terms of facilities and view and a lot of people will have had their seat their for several years. I can also understand why the club doesn't want to upset a block of fans which is worth hundreds of thousands of pounds every season.

I do think that some kind of "best of both worlds" solution could have been found with a family section in the main stand side of the RDL with "normal" season ticket holders in the side towards the away end with those who have had ST's the longest there being given priority. Keeps the kids away from the big bad away fans and lets them see the players up close as they come out the tunnel. One side of the Merkland could be the singing section, with plenty of space for expansion, and season ticket holders from the RDL can get the pick of the seats with plenty available for general sale tickets.

The solution they chose will end in tears when mums and dads complain about the singing sections boys saying a few bad words. I don't think there is an ideal scenario for the numbers they are getting but I don't think this is the answer.

Also noticed our game vs Hamilton is now £15 for adults and £5 for under 18's. Hamilton fans also being moved to Section A of the Main Stand which I haven't seen for a league game before.

I remember it happening once before. Gretna got that section for this game - http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=4860&season=2007-08&squad=Senior

At the recent Pittodrie Q & A, DM stated that he felt there was a real practical benefit to teams with a partisan vocal support at each end of the park.

He reckons referees are influenced by noisy crowds behind the goals when giving corner and penalty decisions. He did also state that any singing at all would help the team in home games and referred to the difference in noise from our home and away support.

So, I think the push from the club to try and turn the merkland stand into a Shed type atmosphere generating area has come from the management team for footballing reasons. Unfortunately, this is very unlikely to happen. Getting enough people to agree to anything is difficult, for an issue as complex as moving various groups of fans around the stadium, it's pretty much impossible.

Regarding the Singing Section, has something happened to it? At the St Johnstone game, there seemed to be much less of them and they were less noisy. I had felt prior to that match they had been helping generate noise and atmosphere. To be fair though, the support from all the stands that day was piss poor, even by our own low standards.

I sat in the singing section at the Utd home game we won 2-0. It was a weird atmosphere. You're so far from the pitch you can barely hear any singing from the South or lower deck, and the bunch of young lads in Stone Island trying to get songs going were a little intimidating to the casual punters around them. The reason a lot of folk end up in the upper deck is because they can't get a big group of tickets together elsewhere, or they're buying tickets last minute and aren't massive fans.

I understand that folk might not like moving but objectively (and as a fan who has largely attended away games over home ones the last 4 years due to living in Edinburgh) it seems obvious that it would benefit the team.

I think Faroese fans got section A in the main for when Scotland played a qualifer up at Pittodrie. The only time I remember a dons game as having a Main Stand away was Bohemian fans in section E.

That's a shame for Pawlett, it's time for Cammy Smith to show what he's made of. No Rooney, no Pawlett, no Hayes......I doubt he will have a better opportunity TBH.

Cammy Smith doesn't play out wide though - think for the lad it is better he goes on loan or leave at the end of the season to get first team fitba.