The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Pawlett sent off in a pre-season friendly.

Aberdeen were ok today it finished 4-1 but bad mistakes by us and basically our second string, your under 20s mixed with fringe players too mind you, but your good players that were on just punished us every time we made a mistake, Storey/Stockley and Pawlett with the goals.

Storey looks ace. Last time I seen him in the flesh he took the piss out of United at tannadice.

Pawlett reacted stupidly to being hassled by slapping Martin Scott, who in return decked him with a head butt... :lol:

A lot more info on the new stadium on the website now ahead of the public consultation.

Main points I noticed:

• Training pitches have been altered from the original press release 
  • Stadium will be single-tiered with 20,000 capacity 
  • No mention of a supporter's bar like in Loirston plans but there is going to be a "fan zone" whatever that entails
  • No interior plans yet or mention of safe standing
  • The council are limiting it to 1300 parking spaces which will be nowhere near enough even with shuttle buses

Also saw on Twitter that the No to Kingsford Campaign had a FOI request relating to the stadium which revealed that the club have already found £18 million worth of funding (in addition to £18 million from the sale of Pittodrie) leaving just around £5 million to find to reach the £43 million cost which is now being stated. 

More details released in The Times tomorrow apparently.

http://www.afc.co.uk/8157

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just watching the press conference on red tv re the new stadium site.

Hadn't realised Pittodrie was operating under special dispensation from UEFA to be a suitable ground to hold European games.

Must be bullshit if you see some of the grounds. Look at Ventspils last week for example!

1 minute ago, shootingboots said:

Must be bullshit if you see some of the grounds. Look at Ventspils last week for example!

I was sceptical.  It does feel like the club is putting forward a bit of propaganda on how crucial this move is.

Yule just said it will cost £45-46m in total for the new site.  Call me pessimistic but I struggle to see how we will raise that sort of money.

8 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

No, it's true. The case for a lot of clubs though (Hearts being one with Tynecastle).

Ventspils' stadium is actually more UEFA 'friendly' than Pittodrie despite being not much more than a running track. Had a wee nosey back down there on Friday morning after the game. Plenty of offices in the clubhouse type building you saw the players walk out of that UEFA will probably use for delegates, doping rooms etc (currently at Pittodrie, there are many rooms which have to be cleared for the arrival of UEFA officials). Obviously they have the 5m run off around the pitch too.

Whilst there's no set date as to when a club must meet the guidelines from UEFA as things stand, the club are keen to be in a position where they don't have to apply season by season. Who knows what UEFA might demand of smaller teams in the future, what with the idea of closed shop Champions League, third European competition etc being talked about. The biggest concern is that, if the club is to advance to the group stages for example, then UEFA will become more aware of how Pittodrie fails to meet their demands.

Fair enough.

I'm all for the move but sceptical about financing it too. 

They expect £18m from sale of Pittodrie too - a lot more than I would have guessed it's worth being. 

The No for kingsford NIMBY group hopefully nothing more than a mild nuisance than anything substantial. Does seem to be just a vocal handful. 

Edited by shootingboots

Hello Dons. There's a wee pile of books about your club in the Alloa British Heart Foundation shop; see the spoiler below. 75p each, or two for a pound. As usual, I'm happy to post them if you can't make it in. Send me a PM if you're interested.

9i9q0x.jpg

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave
Duplicate pictures, for some reason.

On 14/07/2016 at 14:34, shootingboots said:

So we've signed so far:

Lewis (GK)
Alexander (GK)
O'Connor
Morris
Storey
Stockley
Burns (loan)

Still need a bit of strength added at CB/CM (depending on where O'Connor will play).

Going forward we have what we didn't have last season - options.

Hayes, McGinn, Storey, Stockley, Rooney, Burns. Wouldn't be surprised if Pawlett was now away.

What's Pawlett's contract situation like, would he be available on loan?

I think he could be the direct wide player we could do with at Victoria Park.

10 minutes ago, d31 said:

Pawlett will leave on loan before the deadline.

Will wait till replacement signed first though

Tord,

we're two players away from an excellent squad.

centre half

centre mid

not sure whether the rumours of Aucho signing are true.

Sadly I can't see a centre half coming in.

we have 5 if you count O'Connor as a centre half.

Morris was a ridiculous signing.

Edited by Thenorthernlight

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Tord,

we're two players away from an excellent squad.

centre half

centre mid

not sure whether the rumours of Aucho signing are true.

Sadly I can't see a centre half coming in.

we have 5 if you count O'Connor as a centre half.

Morris was a ridiculous signing.

Together with keeper those two positions were the highest priority this summer.

Agree, it seems like he won't be signing another defender and if he does likely be a young benchwarmer on loan from england to allow McKenna to go out and play a full season for someone in the championship.

Seems like a long way away from O'Connor and Morris proving their worth.

Confident we'll get in a centre mid yet to come in as first pick. 

If Aucho signs I'd imagine he's a bonus ball only

12 minutes ago, d31 said:

Together with keeper those two positions were the highest priority this summer.

Agree, it seems like he won't be signing another defender and if he does likely be a young benchwarmer on loan from england to allow McKenna to go out and play a full season for someone in the championship.

Seems like a long way away from O'Connor and Morris proving their worth.

Confident we'll get in a centre mid yet to come in as first pick. 

If Aucho signs I'd imagine he's a bonus ball only

If Aucho signs, I'd rather a central defender was signed.

Who knows, maybe a player will be sold (Pawlett)? 

We'll possibly see what O'Connor is about next week as big Ash is suspended I think for McDiarmid.

that'll be a good test at a ground where we've had trouble recently & against one of the better strikers in the league (McLean).

Imagine injuries permitting it'll be O'Connor & Reynolds  

Edited by Thenorthernlight