The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I couldn’t agree more with AOC. We’re fine when things are going well, but the second things go against us, the fans turn on the team. Happens time and time again. 

It's a long time since I've been a Pittodrie regular, but it looks like some things haven't changed since 1963...

37 minutes ago, Swello said:

1980's playground-style mongo and spastic stuff aside - I was pretty taken aback by the level of booing after about 25 mins on Saturday. I know things were going as bad as possible but it wasn't something I've really related to Aberdeen supporters over the years - but in any case, I know (because a 'Well player mentioned it) that it was music to our teams' ears. 

Its a frustrating year for Aberdeen fans. Had a few nice years of comfortably being 2nd best and getting used to winning a lot of games (but with no big satisfying payoff/trophy anywhere). This year we've taken a bit of a step back (but not much really) and the league have improved around us. Suddenly its harder to maintain the good years we've had and the squad has more than a few issues needing sorted this summer.

We're a fairly fickle bunch anyway, but a frustrating year and then a poor performance in the biggest remaining game of the season is an easy trigger for the boo-boys.

10 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Sometimes we only need backup though - McLaughlin was only going to be a backup for Logan and Monakana was a cheap punt to cover for Hayes and McGinn. No harm done really.

If our default was to have the youth as backup then there’s the potential for them to be pitched in when it may not be the best thing for them.

Still practically no youth players that we’ve let go who’ve proved us wrong, including players who won the youth league. Shagnasty would’ve been good backup for Logan, granted.

I'd rather pitch in a youth prospect of our own ahead of a loanee 'prospect' like Monakana (he was 20/21 when he was here).  

I don't agree with your last sentence, it's all circumstantial. McKenna by all accounts bombed at Ayr and, if we'd released him instead of him being chucked in, we'd probably all say 'well it was the right decision as he couldn't even do it for Ayr'. Fast forward 6 months and he's a Scotland international. I'm not saying that any of the players we've let go would've been Scotland class, but I'm sure some of them could've made an impact. More so than some of the dross we've loaned in anyway.

Aye the progress of McKenna has made me think about some of the other players.

If we'd shown the same level of faith in Shaughnessy or Cammy Smith, could they have developed to a similar level?

Well Shaughnessy has developed into the captain of a team which regularly finished top 6 and played in Europe. And is a very competent right and centreback in his own right. He’d be similar to Considine I suspect within the Aberdeen squad, maybe a little better, but he’ll never play international football or progress much higher I wouldn’t imagine, unless he somehow raises another level.

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Well Shaughnessy has developed into the captain of a team which regularly finished top 6 and played in Europe. And is a very competent right and centreback in his own right. He’d be similar to Considine I suspect within the Aberdeen squad, maybe a little better, but he’ll never play international football or progress much higher I wouldn’t imagine, unless he somehow raises another level.

Aye he's done really well at Saints, but players will develop differently if they are at different teams. At a slightly higher level, he may have become a different player, who knows? 

Cammy Smith is the one I really wanted to do well, because he's a Dandy and he loves the goddamn Dons. 

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 07:26, DrewDon said:

How do Motherwell end up getting the likes of Moult and Main on the cheap whilst we are pissing around with jobbers like Cosgrove and Maynard and spent £400K on a half-fit May? 

Our scouting is shite. 

There were plenty who were delighted when May's signing was announced.  

1 minute ago, The_Judge said:

There were plenty who were delighted when May's signing was announced.  

That is true, and I still hold out hope that he will come onto a game with a full pre-season under his belt, but £400K and a four-year contract is currently not looking like it is going to represent particularly good value.

Signings like Ball, Cosgrove, Maynard and Nwakali, however, are looking like lazy additions, and have brought very little to the table. Sure, every manager makes the odd mistake in recruitment, and McInnes has had some notable successes in the transfer market, such as Shinnie, McLean, Lewis and Rooney, but I would like to see us becoming a little bit smarter, starting this summer.  With McLean and Christie leaving and one or two first team regulars becoming another year older (and slower), there will not be significant margin for error. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 15/04/2018 at 08:26, DrewDon said:

How do Motherwell end up getting the likes of Moult and Main on the cheap whilst we are pissing around with jobbers like Cosgrove and Maynard and spent £400K on a half-fit May? 

Our scouting is shite. 

Maybe so, but Motherwell are well behind us in the league. Obviously their scouting isn't all that great, and they've got plenty of absolute dross in their squad. If a player happens to be half decent for them he'll stand out because their overall expectations are lower.

By the way, Main is absolute shite. One semi-decent performance against the headless chickens in the Aberdeen defence doesn't suddenly make him a great find.

Guest Bob Mahelp
24 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

That is true, and I still hold out hope that he will come onto a game with a full pre-season under his belt, but £400K and a four-year contract is currently not looking like it is going to represent particularly good value.

Signings like Ball, Cosgrove, Maynard and Nwakali, however, are looking like lazy additions, and have brought very little to the table. Sure, every manager makes the odd mistake in recruitment, and McInnes has had some notable successes in the transfer market, such as Shinnie, McLean, Lewis and Rooney, but I would like to see us becoming a little bit smarter, starting this summer.  With McLean and Christie leaving and one or two first team regulars becoming another year older (and slower), there will not be significant margin for error. 

We need to be sharp off the mark in the summer. 10 players need to come in....5 first teamers and 5 (good) squad players.

Celtic look like they're not interested in selling Christie, so why not step in and start making moves on Scott Allan ? Celtic will let him go, and he seems to have matured enough that he's beginning to become the player that he always thought he was.

He'd fit in well at Aberdeen.

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We need to be sharp off the mark in the summer. 10 players need to come in....5 first teamers and 5 (good) squad players.

Celtic look like they're not interested in selling Christie, so why not step in and start making moves on Scott Allan ? Celtic will let him go, and he seems to have matured enough that he's beginning to become the player that he always thought he was.

He'd fit in well at Aberdeen.

I rate Allan, but I'd imagine we will be well behind Hibs in the queue for him.

McInnes needs to work out what formation and style he is wanting us to play next season, and then try to recruit around that blueprint. Too often this season we have resembled a patchwork of individuals rather than a coherent team with a clear understanding of their respective tasks and roles, which isn't something you could have said of us in previous seasons under McInnes. 

I'd quite like Glen Kamara from Dundee, but I doubt he will be without other suitors come the end of the season. I think Jason Naismith at Ross County would be the perfect replacement for Shay Logan going forward, but, again, he is another who I'd imagine will have options, including potentially in England, and would likely want the guarantee of first team football if he were to come to us. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

McInnes linked with West Brom again today. I assume now you would rather get rid now and have some extra pennies for the stadium build?

Linked by who ?

I doubt if anything official will come out of west Brom, and anyway I suspect their fans will be after a more high-profile figure than McInnes.

Away from the knee-jerk reactions from Saturday, I suppose that there may be a general feeling amongst Dons fans that while we're grateful for the work that Derek has done at the club, this could be a natural point for us all to part ways.

We seem to be pushing against the same glass ceiling time and time again, and McInnes has had ample time to break through it but seems unable to get that extra 10% out of the whole team that will enable that to happen.

I have no doubt at all that he will never be sacked by Aberdeen....certainly not at this point....but he may feel himself that the time is right for a new challenge.

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Linked by who ?

I doubt if anything official will come out of west Brom, and anyway I suspect their fans will be after a more high-profile figure than McInnes.

I have no doubt at all that he will never be sacked by Aberdeen....certainly not at this point....but he may feel himself that the time is right for a new challenge.

It was on bbc gossip column thingy, the other was Tony Mowbray :unsure2:

I agree he wont be sacked and nor should he, given the medicority of Aberdeen before him I wouldnt trust the current regime to get it right again, would cost a fortune as well.

It was on bbc gossip column thingy, the other was Tony Mowbray :unsure2:
I agree he wont be sacked and nor should he, given the medicority of Aberdeen before him I wouldnt trust the current regime to get it right again, would cost a fortune as well.

Can’t see West Brom being the slightest bit interested in Deek.
They’ll be looking at bigger names than him, and by that I mean the usual championship jobbers that do the rounds (McCarthy, Arry etc).

Can’t see West Brom being the slightest bit interested in Deek.

They’ll be looking at bigger names than him, and by that I mean the usual championship jobbers that do the rounds (McCarthy, Arry etc).

Alex Neil got the Norwich job from nowhere. This would be a more obvious and natural fit you’d think.

Not sure if I was a WBA decision maker I’d be that popular if I appointed someone who’d just admitted to making a c**t of the last two transfer windows though.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Maybe so, but Motherwell are well behind us in the league. Obviously their scouting isn't all that great, and they've got plenty of absolute dross in their squad. If a player happens to be half decent for them he'll stand out because their overall expectations are lower.

By the way, Main is absolute shite. One semi-decent performance against the headless chickens in the Aberdeen defence doesn't suddenly make him a great find.

Have you seen Main more than once?  I've watched him a few times and I think he is a very good player for the Scottish Premiership and an able replacement for Moult.  Don't let disappointment make you plant ill-informed flags.