The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I've been wanting Griffiths to get back to his best for years and I really wouldn't want to pre-judge his situation but...........I just get the perception he doesn't seem to want to help himself, from a purely football perspective anyway. If he's not willing to get himself fit and firing for Celtic why would he suddenly turn up and do so for us?

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't think Griffiths is up for football anymore. If he can't get in shape and motivated playing for one of the biggest clubs in Europe he certainly wouldn't playing for Aberdeen. 

That's what it boils down to. If he can't do it for Celtic, he won't do it for us. 

I think it would be a gamble that I personally wouldn't want to be taking on Griffiths, but just because he hasn't got himself fit for Celtic doesn't mean he can't for anyone else.

I think it's been well documented how poor the coaching has been at Celtic so that may be a factor. He maybe just needs a different mentor or motivation to get him going. I'd say it's unlikely but not impossible.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think it would be a gamble that I personally wouldn't want to be taking on Griffiths, but just because he hasn't got himself fit for Celtic doesn't mean he can't for anyone else.

I think it's been well documented how poor the coaching has been at Celtic so that may be a factor. He maybe just needs a different mentor or motivation to get him going. I'd say it's unlikely but not impossible.

I'm not really buying the Celtic coaching thing tbh, when the issue seems to be not reaching a base level of fitness.

Even if you had a point, he'd command a pretty high wage so I'm not really keen on gambling that he might suddenly rediscover his motivation once he meets Stephen Glass. It's a football manager-esque tempting signing that is usually best avoided.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not really buying the Celtic coaching thing tbh, when the issue seems to be not reaching a base level of fitness.

Even if you had a point, he'd command a pretty high wage so I'm not really keen on gambling that he might suddenly rediscover his motivation once he meets Stephen Glass. It's a football manager-esque tempting signing that is usually best avoided.

Yeah of course, I tend to agree with you and as I mentioned, I don't think it's a risk I'd be willing to take either.

I suppose if there is an opportunity for him to come, Aberdeen will weigh up the potential reward compared to the risk. I think the risk is too high.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

It would be too much of a risk given Glass' relative inexperience as a manager. There would also be question marks around the possibility of Griffiths thinking that he would get the same level of indulgence at Aberdeen that he received at Celtic with Brown as assistant. We're not fortunate enough to be able to fund a sabbatical. 

36 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Thanks. So the word on the street is that Griffiths is signing for us. A fully functioning Griffiths I would take without a second thought. On a human level I can have some sympathy for him, but I would worry about the impact he would have in the dressing room. 

Don’t worry, you can’t get men pregnant 

Griffiths is under contract so any thoughts of him leaving are a bit early at this stage.

If Celtic sell Edouard this summer they will know that at 15% Griffiths is superior to Klimaji, Ajeti and Mike Johnston so they'll need to sign 3 strikers before even entertaining moving Griffiths on.

We need 3-4 strikers this summer so there will need to be names further up the list

1 hour ago, AJF said:

He's also not bothering his arse about Scotlands first crack at a major championships for years though.

Same boy said Declan Gallagher and Bruce Anderson were offered deals yesterday.

Never all that convinced how itk he is but there you go anyway.
I don't think Taylor has been all that bad this season really but surely can't be hard to replace? (I hope)

Taylor has arguably been our most consistent player this season. He does have a mistake in him but no more than Hoban or Considine. I'm almost certain that people give him dogs abuse because of a perception they created of him when he made that mistake in his league debut vs United in 2014.
Both times he was only signed as a back up and I think he's coped pretty well when he's had to step up because of the departures of first choices Russell Anderson and Mckenna.
As you say though he shouldn't be too difficult to replace but if we lose Hoban as well it'll be a shame to lose Taylor.

5 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

Taylor has arguably been our most consistent player this season. He does have a mistake in him but no more than Hoban or Considine. I'm almost certain that people give him dogs abuse because of a perception they created of him when he made that mistake in his league debut vs United in 2014.
Both times he was only signed as a back up and I think he's coped pretty well when he's had to step up because of the departures of first choices Russell Anderson and Mckenna.
As you say though he shouldn't be too difficult to replace but if we lose Hoban as well it'll be a shame to lose Taylor.

He absolutely was not signed as a back up initially. Anderson was coming to the end of his time and this was his replacement.

Taylor has been pretty good this season but has never grown out if thinking he can win every ball.

Allegedly Devlin will be offered a new deal. Has been fit for mist of the season but has a major fall out with McInnes. Probably bullshit of course.

Taylor has been fairly good this season. As others have said, though, he is a very limited football player. I think, if you were looking to build on the sort of things we were trying to do in the first half of the game at Tannadice, you need to phase him out of the team. Then again, you could arguably say the same for one or two others - Lewis and Considine aren't exactly made for that type of play either. It will be interesting to see how Glass approaches that if he does want to build from the back and retain the ball better. 

The issue with Taylor is that this season is the absolute peak of his ability. He'll never get any better, and he's still a bombscare half the time.

I'd take a fit and on-form Devlin over him every time (if there is such a thing).

7 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

The issue with Taylor is that this season is the absolute peak of his ability. He'll never get any better, and he's still a bombscare half the time.

I'd take a fit and on-form Devlin over him every time (if there is such a thing).

Thing you may have hit on the problem there.

The Devlin that actually managed to turn up last season was absolutely stinking and Taylor was a big upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thing you may have hit on the problem there.

The Devlin that actually managed to turn up last season was absolutely stinking and Taylor was a big upgrade.

True, but the Devlin that paired McKenna a couple of years ago was looking excellent (until his body fell apart).

Ultimately, if the rumours are true, a CB pairing of Gallagher and Hoban will do me. Considine will probably start taking more of a back seat.

Just now, Illgresi said:

True, but the Devlin that paired McKenna a couple of years ago was looking excellent (until his body fell apart).

Ultimately, if the rumours are true, a CB pairing of Gallagher and Hoban will do me. Considine will probably start taking more of a back seat.

Agreed on Devlin early form. The fall off was spectacular though, can't remember seeing anything else like it from an individual.

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Taylor is limited but I've never understood the hatred for him, even in his first spell.

Perfectly good defender at this level, albeit with a mistake in him and is exposed by a certain level of player/movement.

The problem with Ash is he thinks he's better than he is IMO. Leads to some horrendous errors but for the most part he good.

Another thing to bear in mind is a player with his genetics would be nowhere Aberdeen if he was even a bit better than he is.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

The problem with Ash is he thinks he's better than he is IMO. Leads to some horrendous errors but for the most part he good.

Another thing to bear in mind is a player with his genetics would be nowhere Aberdeen if he was even a bit better than he is.

Agreed on Ash but I think he was worse for that first time round than his second spell. Not completely eradicated though.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed on Ash but I think he was worse for that first time round than his second spell. Not completely eradicated though.

My main issue with him this season is steaming in to the 30/70's. There's usually one a game at least but we've not really suffered for it.

Controversially I'd probably rather have Ash over Andy.