The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

The bold Haraldur and I obviously have opposing understandings of what constitutes an "astute signing". 

Exactly what I thought. Would be a honkin waste of money. Much rather persevere with MacKenzie for the rest of this season, and make a call in the summer.

4 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Still think we could be done with another or leader or two though, especially given there'll be more younger lads getting game time.

Scott Brown and Declan Gallagher (supposedly will be announced soon) are leaders/captains. Both are definite upgrades on what we have/had.

Taylor (POTY) was not a leader nor was Devlin, Ojo or any of the guys currently set to leave. We became far too soft in McInnes' last few seasons. We need some nasty individuals in the side.

On a side note, I'd happily take Leigh Griffiths. If we could also sign (within our means) one of Kamberi or Watkins to play alongside him - that would be as good a forward line as I've seen since supporting Aberdeen (1998). The reality is we'll most likely see Bruce Anderson partnering up front with someone yet to be rumoured.

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Scott Brown and Declan Gallagher (supposedly will be announced soon) are leaders/captains. Both are definite upgrades on what we have/had.

Taylor (POTY) was not a leader nor was Devlin, Ojo or any of the guys currently set to leave. We became far too soft in McInnes' last few seasons. We need some nasty individuals in the side.

On a side note, I'd happily take Leigh Griffiths. If we could also sign (within our means) one of Kamberi or Watkins to play alongside him - that would be as good a forward line as I've seen since supporting Aberdeen (1998). The reality is we'll most likely see Bruce Anderson partnering up front with someone yet to be rumoured.

Why the Watkins obsession?

He was a non scorer who excelled in a particular role of which we didn't sign him to play in the first place.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Watkins was class and I miss him. 

He was class in that system but if we're looking to move forward under a new manager then I don't think a 30 year old Watkins is the answer. Especially when the first two expected signings (Brown already here plus Gallagher) have a combined age of 65.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He was class in that system but if we're looking to move forward under a new manager then I don't think a 30 year old Watkins is the answer. Especially when the first two expected signings (Brown already here plus Gallagher) have a combined age of 65.

I don't think I'd be turning my nose up at a forward, available for free, who we know improved the team considerably and was instrumental in the best football we played earlier this season 30 years old is hardly career over.

ETA - if that's too many old players, bin Gallagher.

Edited by Dons_1988

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't think I'd be turning my nose up at a forward, available for free, who we know improved the team considerably and was instrumental in the best football we played earlier this season 30 years old is hardly career over.

ETA - if that's too many old players, bin Gallagher.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)