The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Shay was a complete game changer when he came in. After  years of playing centre halves and midfielders out of position, we finally had a proper full back. When we signed him permanently, along with Mcginn signing a new deal, it was a sign that things had changed and we werent going to lose our best players every summer as we had previously with players like Fraser. 

Shay himself was solid for years, but his attitude, and the way he plays the game without fear, its entertaining, even when we are playing poorly. Right time to go, but I will miss him. 

Re Brooner, he needs to front up to how he acted at the Tonev incident and apologise, before I can even begin accepting his signing. 

13 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Shay was a complete game changer when he came in. After  years of playing centre halves and midfielders out of position, we finally had a proper full back. When we signed him permanently, along with Mcginn signing a new deal, it was a sign that things had changed and we werent going to lose our best players every summer as we had previously with players like Fraser. 

Shay himself was solid for years, but his attitude, and the way he plays the game without fear, its entertaining, even when we are playing poorly. Right time to go, but I will miss him. 

Re Brooner, he needs to front up to how he acted at the Tonev incident and apologise, before I can even begin accepting his signing. 

I would expect he would address it at some point. Maybe in an interview during pre season.

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

Surely if Brown was to come out now and apologise, 7 years after the incident, it will purely be viewed as insincere lip service on the back of him signing for Aberdeen?

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Surely if Brown was to come out now and apologise, 7 years after the incident, it will purely be viewed as insincere lip service on the back of him signing for Aberdeen?

depends how it was done I suppose - a bit of open and honest reflection on how poorly he handled it, about how looking back he regrets it, about how important it is to stand up, not just when it is easy, but when it is difficult, then I would be happy to draw a line under it. A mealy mouthed shifting of blame would be pretty poor, but better than nothing. A total silence would be the worst option imo. Others may disagree.

2 hours ago, d31 said:

I would expect he would address it at some point. Maybe in an interview during pre season.

Frankly in my opinion it should be the first thing he does when he steps foot in the door. Fingers crossed, as  I think he could be a real asset for us.

2 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Frankly in my opinion it should be the first thing he does when he steps foot in the door. Fingers crossed, as  I think he could be a real asset for us.

He doesn't really need to say much and I don't even thinking he needs to say the word sorry. Just something like I was younger, and maybe a little bit naive, I took Tonev's word for it and felt at that point it was the right thing to do. Retrospectively I should have left it to the club to address and all I can do is work to support the fight against racism in football. bla bla.

Interesting to see if he gets any more of a chance next season. Combination of the numbers we have in that position and Mcinnes not being overly willing to take risks with players from the youth system certainly limited his chances. Would imagine this is his last deal if he doesn't make the breakthrough this season.

8 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Interesting to see if he gets any more of a chance next season. Combination of the numbers we have in that position and Mcinnes not being overly willing to take risks with players from the youth system certainly limited his chances. Would imagine this is his last deal if he doesn't make the breakthrough this season.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I would expect all the youths to get extensions (if they want them) so that Glass can assess them.