The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Why the Watkins obsession?

He was a non scorer who excelled in a particular role of which we didn't sign him to play in the first place.

This was our best start to a domestic season in over 20 years and Watkins was pivotal to that. The moment he was injured things went pear shaped. He's normally played as a winger but he did a fantastic job up top. He's available in the summer for nothing and would be a key player for us. And you're right - He's only 30! I'd be delighted if we had a partnership of Watkins and Griffiths.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

5 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This was our best start to a domestic season in over 20 years and Watkins was pivotal to that. The moment he was injured things went pear shaped. He's normally played as a winger but he did a fantastic job up top. He's available in the summer for nothing and would be a key player for us. And you're right - He's only 30! I'd be delighted if we had a partnership of Watkins and Griffiths.

Watkins was pivotal to that with Wright and Hedges behind him. One of which is no longer here. To get the best out of Watkins you then may have to sign a replacement for Scott Wright.

He's not available for nothing. He's on English Championship wages. He's 30 and likely looking for his last decent pay day.

So moving forward you're looking to have a front pairing of Watkins and Griffiths (who would both be 31 by the end of next season) while we also have Jonny Hayes looking to play out wide. Doesn't fit Cormacks "produce or sign the best young talent" model.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Great read.

The bit that really took my attention was the cheating fraudulent methods of skullduggery that Celtic followed even way back in 1945. Alex Kiddie had spent a short time at Celtic but they decided not to sign him. He went back up north and Aberdeen signed him, and just after that Celtic realised they’d made a mistake. The then manager of Celtic, Jimmy McGrory, came up to see Alex Kiddie to attempt to sign him. Once McGrory had discovered that Kiddie had signed for Aberdeen, he told him to also sign forms for Celtic. McGrory told Kiddie that having signed for both clubs he would then be suspended, and Celtic gave their word to Kiddie that after the end of the suspension Celtic would definitely sign him. Always a club of the people.

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The bit that really took my attention was the cheating fraudulent methods of skullduggery that Celtic followed even way back in 1945. Alex Kiddie had spent a short time at Celtic but they decided not to sign him. He went back up north and Aberdeen signed him, and just after that Celtic realised they’d made a mistake. The then manager of Celtic, Jimmy McGrory, came up to see Alex Kiddie to attempt to sign him. Once McGrory had discovered that Kiddie had signed for Aberdeen, he told him to also sign forms for Celtic. McGrory told Kiddie that having signed for both clubs he would then be suspended, and Celtic gave their word to Kiddie that after the end of the suspension Celtic would definitely sign him. Always a club of the people.

See the source image

How dare you! Jimmy McGrory was a gentleman and a great Celtic minded man. 

(Going by that anecdote, there's no doubt he was "Celtic minded"...)

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He was class in that system but if we're looking to move forward under a new manager then I don't think a 30 year old Watkins is the answer. Especially when the first two expected signings (Brown already here plus Gallagher) have a combined age of 65.

Still younger than I am...

I will start this post with the statement that I am a football dinosaur. After watching Aberdeen and Scotland this season, get this 3 at the back, 2 wing backs , 4 central midfielders, and some poor lonely b*****d up front, IN THE F*CK*NG BIN. I want teams that I watch try to win games by playing football, and to me that is getting forward by turning and passing upfield to a player in the same team, going down the wings to try to hit the byline, cut the ball back for players in the middle to try to score. People these days w*nk themselves into oblivion with formations, particularly 3 (5) at the back, but why don’t they just concentrate in trying to win football matches. 4 along the back with 2 fullbacks and wide players, who are actually wide players, to get at the opposition full backs. Rather than set up to nullify the opposition, make the opposition change their tactics to combat our team. I’m just pissed off at all the negative play that I’ve watched, and the recent Scotland performances have pushed me over the edge. 

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I will start this post with the statement that I am a football dinosaur. After watching Aberdeen and Scotland this season, get this 3 at the back, 2 wing backs , 4 central midfielders, and some poor lonely b*****d up front, IN THE F*CK*NG BIN. I want teams that I watch try to win games by playing football, and to me that is getting forward by turning and passing upfield to a player in the same team, going down the wings to try to hit the byline, cut the ball back for players in the middle to try to score. People these days w*nk themselves into oblivion with formations, particularly 3 (5) at the back, but why don’t they just concentrate in trying to win football matches. 4 along the back with 2 fullbacks and wide players, who are actually wide players, to get at the opposition full backs. Rather than set up to nullify the opposition, make the opposition change their tactics to combat our team. I’m just pissed off at all the negative play that I’ve watched, and the recent Scotland performances have pushed me over the edge. 

You sure you're only 76?

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Dear Mr Cormack, there are too many formations these days. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot. 

7TrQUza.jpg

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Beat me again.

Was impressed with his performance against Utd, mistake aside. Very happy to see him getting another couple of years. Not a dig at Derek but I doubt he was getting them without new management in place.

He was excellent against United. Looked like he had loads of ability and confidence. Playing in a back 4.