The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I know it's only words, but this is quite a fair and honest summation from Glass, in my opinion. Doesn't make excuses and says there will be changes next week as a result of the performance. 

Changes? 
Try not starting with 4 centre midfielders for a start.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Changes? 
Try not starting with 4 centre midfielders for a start.

This with bells on.

Get pace & width in the team FFS

Lewis

Ramsay Bates Gallagher MacKenzie

Brown Ferguson    
      Watkins                             Hayes

Ramirez Samuels 

Starting to remind me of Neil Lennon in his post-match interviews.  Not a good sign.

One thing I like to see in a manager's post match analysis - he notices something your ordinary Joe fan wouldn't notice, but as soon as he says it you think, yeah of course, that's right, I didn't think of it myself but he's right.   That's why he's a football professional and I'm not. Can't remember a single instance from Glass.

A total shambles today.

Defensively all over the place. So far we have played only ONE of the league's top 6 sides and have only kept one clean sheet.

Fearing October when we face Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Hearts. It's going to be a long long season unless the tactically inept Glass finds a new formation as this one is going to lose us goals, goals, goals

I think we're going to struggle this season. I think Glass has a formation and plan he wishes to use but it clearly doesn't work. Stubbornness much like McInnes to change it will cost us. I'm not overly convinced Glass knows his strongest team either.

Given the lack of width we've got, I think reverting back to a three at the back formation with wing backs is the way to go. May stop us from conceding so frequently too.

Like some have said, this has got the hallmarks of a Skovdahl/Paterson feel about it. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

I think we're going to struggle this season. I think Glass has a formation and plan he wishes to use but it clearly doesn't work. Stubbornness much like McInnes to change it will cost us. I'm not overly convinced Glass knows his strongest team either.

Given the lack of width we've got, I think reverting back to a three at the back formation with wing backs is the way to go. May stop us from conceding so frequently too.

Like some have said, this has got the hallmarks of a Skovdahl/Paterson feel about it. 

I'm not sure about that, but the worrying signs in the last month that Glass doesn't know our best side, doesn't know how to get the team to defend, and can't get any attacking momentum into the side in the absence of Hedges, have become clear and obvious. 

We're absolutely loaded with midfielders. All of them similar. And in fact we have so many we have one playing at centre back and another one (Ojo) as a kind of winger. 

The possession football that Glass obviously wants us to play is in principle fine, but in the absence of any forward momentum or cutting edge it's absolutely killing us. Teams from Raith Rovers to Motherwell are working us out easily and stifling the life out of us, while all the time knowing that we're vulnerable at the back. 

I still believe that we have the players to make us a decent side. But Glass is going to have to work things out soon before sink down the table. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

You're probably right. I haven't seen either of them i don't think. But it's not really how good they are that worries me, it's our defence. 

Every team will currently feel they can exploit our defence, so it stands to reason that the teams that will probably run away with 1st and 2nd places will quite possibly salivating at the number of chances they will get.

I found it a curious decision not to play Bates from the start yesterday, and also wonder if Longstaff will have to play regardless to justify Noocassel letting us have him.  Ojo's spell seems to have diminished, so suspect he will one of the casualties that Glass alluded to in the starting XI for St Johnstone.

St Johnstone have not won a game yet - but their stifling tactics and tendency to nick goals from set pieces (Rooney) are exactly what we probably do not need to be facing next.

43 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

St Johnstone .... their stifling tactics and tendency to nick goals from set pieces...are exactly what we probably do not need to be facing next.

I agree that that's the type of team we are struggling against.  Unfortunately you're describing every team in the league apart from two, who will probably beat us for different reasons.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure about that, but the worrying signs in the last month that Glass doesn't know our best side, doesn't know how to get the team to defend, and can't get any attacking momentum into the side in the absence of Hedges, have become clear and obvious. 

We're absolutely loaded with midfielders. All of them similar. And in fact we have so many we have one playing at centre back and another one (Ojo) as a kind of winger. 

The possession football that Glass obviously wants us to play is in principle fine, but in the absence of any forward momentum or cutting edge it's absolutely killing us. Teams from Raith Rovers to Motherwell are working us out easily and stifling the life out of us, while all the time knowing that we're vulnerable at the back. 

I still believe that we have the players to make us a decent side. But Glass is going to have to work things out soon before sink down the table. 

I think the worry is all the reservations I had about glass are starting to come to fruition in recent matches. The trouble with taking an average team and playing with a philosophy is that they tend to be a reasonable watch between both boxes and terrible within them. 

Now, this could be just a team still developing into a new style and let’s be honest hurting teams in the final third is the hardest part of football and it would make sense to be the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place for us. 

I’m bought into giving glass the season to develop this so no panics here but if he finds us mid table/scrapping for top 6 or worse that will increase the noise and pressure on him. 

As was said above, Longstaff stinks of a Ferguson replacement and as Ferguson was never sold, we’re stuck having to play him due to the terms of the loan agreement. We also don’t want to drop Ferguson as he’s our sellable asset and so we are left with a very ‘samey’ midfield. The triumvirate of Brown, Ferguson and Longstaff could work if you had a very high and wide front 3 IMO. Ojo clearly isn’t the answer. Hedges and Samuels wide with Watkins or Ramirez through the middle would maybe work. Ramirez looks like he’s struggling at the minute.

26 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

As was said above, Longstaff stinks of a Ferguson replacement and as Ferguson was never sold, we’re stuck having to play him due to the terms of the loan agreement. We also don’t want to drop Ferguson as he’s our sellable asset and so we are left with a very ‘samey’ midfield. The triumvirate of Brown, Ferguson and Longstaff could work if you had a very high and wide front 3 IMO. Ojo clearly isn’t the answer. Hedges and Samuels wide with Watkins or Ramirez through the middle would maybe work. Ramirez looks like he’s struggling at the minute.

That's pretty much where I am, too. If we have to play Brown, Ferguson and Longstaff together, a front three of Samuels, Hedges and Watkins would hopefully make us a bit more balanced and also play to the strengths of the midfield a bit more (especially Longstaff). 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Alex_14 said:

Ramirez looks like he’s struggling at the minute.

Ramirez has been struggling ever since we decided that not only do we want him to be in the box to covert chances, we also want him to track back to the halfway line and win tackles, to win headers from long balls, and to drop wide to the wing to try and beat players. 

He's obviously not that kind of player. He's far more a 6 yard box poacher than someone who'll create chances for others, and we're wasting him at the moment. 

On top of that, he's still far too isolated up front virtually by himself for 70 minutes of every game.  I still believe there's a 15 goal plus striker in there...we just have to create chances for him. 

We need to start taking our chances. If Marley scores yesterday we likely go on to win that game comfortably. 
When Hedges and Samuels are both fit I doubt we'll see Ojo out wide. It serves a purpose but Watkins is more than capable of pressing from the front as we saw last season.

Agreed.

Sick of the predictable moaning, groaning and bed wetting from the usual suspects on twitter.

Clear cut chances, straight at keeper. MW chance goes in at 0-0. we win comfortably. We were so on top it was unreal at that stage. Seconds later we lose a goal.