The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, AJF said:

It'll be interesting to see how Bates has developed since leaving us. At times it looked like there could be a real player there - he just never seemed that confident in himself.

Bates is one of the very few Scottish players who has had the guts to go and make a life abroad. The vast majority are too scared and/or too stupid to consider a move to a place where you have to learn a foreign language and embrace foreign culture.

That already signifies to me that he has plenty of self-confidence. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Bates is one of the very few Scottish players who has had the guts to go and make a life abroad. The vast majority are too scared and/or too stupid to consider a move to a place where you have to learn a foreign language and embrace foreign culture.

That already signifies to me that he has plenty of self-confidence. 

Indeed, I don’t disagree with that and it is definitely brave to move abroad at that age, however I was more meaning his playing style where he seemed uneasy at times.

That could be down to the fact he is a bit gangly and awkward looking, but he never really looked fully at ease or composed on the pitch.

That may well be attributed to playing under Caixinha and Murty though - I don’t think anyone in that Rangers team enjoyed their football.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 hours ago, AJF said:

Indeed, I don’t disagree with that and it is definitely brave to move abroad at that age, however I was more meaning his playing style where he seemed uneasy at times.

That could be down to the fact he is a bit gangly and awkward looking, but he never really looked fully at ease or composed on the pitch.

That may well be attributed to playing under Caixinha and Murty though - I don’t think anyone in that Rangers team enjoyed their football.

I agree completely. It's incredibly difficult being a young centre back, especially in a team that maybe isn't playing all that well. 

Most central defenders don't become 'good' players until they're almost 30. The ones that are outstanding at a younger age are like hen's teeth. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I know it's only words, but this is quite a fair and honest summation from Glass, in my opinion. Doesn't make excuses and says there will be changes next week as a result of the performance. 

Changes? 
Try not starting with 4 centre midfielders for a start.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Changes? 
Try not starting with 4 centre midfielders for a start.

This with bells on.

Get pace & width in the team FFS

Lewis

Ramsay Bates Gallagher MacKenzie

Brown Ferguson    
      Watkins                             Hayes

Ramirez Samuels 

Starting to remind me of Neil Lennon in his post-match interviews.  Not a good sign.

One thing I like to see in a manager's post match analysis - he notices something your ordinary Joe fan wouldn't notice, but as soon as he says it you think, yeah of course, that's right, I didn't think of it myself but he's right.   That's why he's a football professional and I'm not. Can't remember a single instance from Glass.

A total shambles today.

Defensively all over the place. So far we have played only ONE of the league's top 6 sides and have only kept one clean sheet.

Fearing October when we face Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Hearts. It's going to be a long long season unless the tactically inept Glass finds a new formation as this one is going to lose us goals, goals, goals

I think we're going to struggle this season. I think Glass has a formation and plan he wishes to use but it clearly doesn't work. Stubbornness much like McInnes to change it will cost us. I'm not overly convinced Glass knows his strongest team either.

Given the lack of width we've got, I think reverting back to a three at the back formation with wing backs is the way to go. May stop us from conceding so frequently too.

Like some have said, this has got the hallmarks of a Skovdahl/Paterson feel about it.