The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

McInnes squad was basically spent. There was nothing left to build on. Apart from Lewis, Ferguson, Considine and Hedges, maybe McCrorie. That's a rebuilding job in anyone's language. No-ones building an entertaining, OF challenging team on a base of Gashton and Kennedy. 

I think Glass has hired well in terms of the standard of player but not in the balance of the squad. Remains to be seen whether he has any real tactical nous. 

I think he deserves until next year unless we're in a relegation battle. More to the point i think he'll get until next year because Davy has bet big on him. 

Agree that the jury's out though. 

I don’t really believe a new squad, a new style of play and instant success all going hand in hand is really a thing unless you’re extremely good or extremely lucky. 

He definitely needs time and he’ll get leeway from me on league position this season (within reason). What we need to assess during that period is if there are enough signs that this is actually capable of going somewhere, that he can build a side that’s defensively sound as well as attacking, that he’s able to realise what’s not working and change it accordingly whether that’s in-game or in the transfer market or whatever. 

If the Motherwell game is repeated over and over I.e lots of the ball, lack of productivity and the concession of shit goals then that becomes more of a worry. 

11 hours ago, big al said:

Appointing a manager with so little experience has to be a slightly longer term project.

Let’s hope he’s learning all the time, so by next season the same mistakes aren’t made. 
Get the balance of the squad right. Playing euro qualifiers with 1 striker is just a joke.

Be far better prepared for the euro qualifying games, arguably most important games of the season.
Get the balance of the team right, and not shoehorn 4 central midfielders into the team just to play them.

A solid foundation is the start of any success, get the defence sorted a s a priority.

Don’t sign Longstaff unless Ferguson is definitely going.

Its the cup, so go for it with your best team regardless. 
Be ruthless, contacts for McGinn, Devlin etc. pointless. 
The list goes on. So many mistakes made already.
Old Davy McCormack has to learn quickly as well. 
I think he will be getting until xmas next year as a minimum, barring an absolute nightmare.

Need to qualify for them first...

See this was what I didnt miss when we were consistent under McInnes until the last couple seasons. Incessant speculation over whether the manager is doing a good or a bad job. hes here, he aint going anywhere. 

Dons need to get more pace and creativity into the team. Samuels, hedges and Watkins can all provide that. Maybe he moves Ojo back into the mf three to provide a bit more creativity and drive  from deep? 

Newbie question - is it a running gag on here or do a baffling amount of people not know our chairman’s name?

It’s giant wooosh - even McCormuck himself finds it funny when he occasionally logs on.

As for the “Gashton” reference - still await the evidence that we’ve upgraded there.

9 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It’s giant wooosh - even McCormuck himself finds it funny when he occasionally logs on.

As for the “Gashton” reference - still await the evidence that we’ve upgraded there.

Agreed. Ash, and indeed India Taylor, deserve much better. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

1 clean sheet in 11 games suggests that we haven't. 

51 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Aye. Quite a few of us said we didn't think Gallagher was much of an improvement (if any) on Taylor. Hell definitely be on a better wage though!

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

1 clean sheet in 11 games suggests that we haven't. 

It suggests more than that to me Bob

We've regressed defensively this season.

I'd argue that Taylor, Hoban & Considine of last season were all better than whats playing in central defence right now.

2 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

See this was what I didnt miss when we were consistent under McInnes until the last couple seasons. Incessant speculation over whether the manager is doing a good or a bad job. hes here, he aint going anywhere. 

Dons need to get more pace and creativity into the team. Samuels, hedges and Watkins can all provide that. Maybe he moves Ojo back into the mf three to provide a bit more creativity and drive  from deep? 

Feel for McInnes. Only Kingsford seemed to be on the agenda for such a long time.

6 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

I'd argue that Taylor, Hoban & Considine of last season were all better than whats playing in central defence right now.

Our defensive issues go beyond who is playing centre half. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

I wasn't suggesting that we had upgraded, only that we'd need to to play like we'd said we would. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Our defensive issues go beyond who is playing centre half. 

Never said they didn't but they are most definitely a contributory factor

Our ex captain carries a burden of responsibility in this, and dare I say that the way Ramsay and McKenzie are played also contributes

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fairly sure when we announced Gallagher there was a Motherwell fan who was quite upset that we weren’t absolutely buzzing about it. 

Definitely wasn't me but aye, it rings a bell. Some folk eh?

I think the majority of P&B 'well fans are of the consensus that he had an outstanding 1st season and fully deserved his call up but went off a cliff in his 2nd with an added distaste for how he carried himself that season both as a player and captain along with his exit.

Trying to be objective about it he comes across as someone who's let his Scotland call up get the better of him and he's just stopped bothering to do the things that got him in that position in the first place. Before he resigned Robinson made a few comments about players in the group who thought they were better than they are and didn't want to be at the club. In hindsight it doesn't even seem a veiled dig a Gallagher.

Clearly he didn't get what he wanted (that would have been his move to Celtic) but I've no doubt he's getting his money at Pittodrie. Which is fair enough.

I'd be curious to know who pushed for his signing though given McInnes was emptied, Russ Richardson left and the new HoR didn't arrive until midway through the window (right?) and the pre-contract was announced on 6th of May which was about 3 weeks after Glass got the job (and had been rumoured long before that).

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Definitely wasn't me but aye, it rings a bell. Some folk eh?

I think the majority of P&B 'well fans are of the consensus that he had an outstanding 1st season and fully deserved his call up but went off a cliff in his 2nd with an added distaste for how he carried himself that season both as a player and captain along with his exit.

Trying to be objective about it he comes across as someone who's let his Scotland call up get the better of him and he's just stopped bothering to do the things that got him in that position in the first place. Before he resigned Robinson made a few comments about players in the group who thought they were better than they are and didn't want to be at the club. In hindsight it doesn't even seem a veiled dig a Gallagher.

Clearly he didn't get what he wanted (that would have been his move to Celtic) but I've no doubt he's getting his money at Pittodrie. Which is fair enough.

I'd be curious to know who pushed for his signing though given McInnes was emptied, Russ Richardson left and the new HoR didn't arrive until midway through the window (right?) and the pre-contract was announced on 6th of May which was about 3 weeks after Glass got the job (and had been rumoured long before that).

aye to be fair I remember you basically telling us not to be buzzing. As I said at the time I hope we haven’t paid way over the odds. 

I’d imagine Steven Gunn (director of football operation) would’ve overseen a lot of recruitment stuff while we transitioned from the previous regime. I’d imagine Gallagher being out of contract and proven in Scotland he’ll have been seen as a fairly low risk option to press on with. 

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

aye to be fair I remember you basically telling us not to be buzzing. As I said at the time I hope we haven’t paid way over the odds. 

I’d imagine Steven Gunn (director of football operation) would’ve overseen a lot of recruitment stuff while we transitioned from the previous regime. I’d imagine Gallagher being out of contract and proven in Scotland he’ll have been seen as a fairly low risk option to press on with. 

Yeah, it was kind of difficult for it not to seem like sour grapes that Aberdeen had 'swooped' in and got our captain and Scotland international on a free but really, there was no lie in what most of us were saying.

If you got the 19/20 version you were getting a very, very good defender (and tbf, there's still plenty time for him to come good) but if you get the 20/21 version with the expectation of an "international defender" and captain material with renumeration to match then you're massively overpaying for what you've brought in.

There was a fair bit of chat about him on our thread yesterday after the "revelation" that he's deleted his Twitter and it's clear there's a good way to leave Motherwell (eg: Allan Campbell) and a bad way. Big Dec has definitely landed on the bad side of that rule.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, it was kind of difficult for it not to seem like sour grapes that Aberdeen had 'swooped' in and got our captain and Scotland international on a free but really, there was no lie in what most of us were saying.

If you got the 19/20 version you were getting a very, very good defender (and tbf, there's still plenty time for him to come good) but if you get the 20/21 version with the expectation of an "international defender" and captain material with renumeration to match then you're massively overpaying for what you've brought in.

There was a fair bit of chat about him on our thread yesterday after the "revelation" that he's deleted his Twitter and it's clear there's a good way to leave Motherwell (eg: Allan Campbell) and a bad way. Big Dec has definitely landed on the bad side of that rule.

And then he joined us and almost instantly started bigging up Ryan jack on social media. 

He might just be a bit simple. 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

And then he joined us and almost instantly started bigging up Ryan jack on social media. 

He might just be a bit simple. 

Maybe he thought speaking kindly of a club legend was a sure fire way to endear himself to the fans.

1 hour ago, Sheep62 said:

It's easy to look good when the defence has a remit to kick the ball as far up the park as possible whenever they have possession.

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

Maybe he thought speaking kindly of a club legend was a sure fire way to endear himself to the fans.

season 6 house fancy GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants