The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

43 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I forgot that Shinnie was still with Derby. 

As good as he was/is, I'm not sure that we need another midfielder.

Upgrade on Ferguson if sold.

Upgrade on Brown who is past it.

Upgrade on Ojo. Miles ahead of the midfield version of McCrorie, as well as McGeouch and Campbell.

Won’t happen though. 

Think shinnie has done enough to earn a championship contract elsewhere. 

Think he said on open goal that he’d rather come back to Scotland than drop into league 1 but don’t see that happening in the immediate. 

There isn’t really a space for him with us just now anyway though it has to be said. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

I love(d) Shinnie, but this is not a good take. 

My personal opinion is that Ferguson is a little over rated. Bulked up too much and doesn’t have the speed/quickness required for the top level. Also his passing is average.
How many games has he taken by the scruff of the neck and made the difference from a loss to a win? 

I’m not saying he’s a terrible player, far from it. Just that he’s a reasonable midfielder for Aberdeen.

6 minutes ago, big al said:

My personal opinion is that Ferguson is a little over rated. Bulked up too much and doesn’t have the speed/quickness required for the top level. Also his passing is average.
How many games has he taken by the scruff of the neck and made the difference from a loss to a win? 

I’m not saying he’s a terrible player, far from it. Just that he’s a reasonable midfielder for Aberdeen.

Ferguson will go onto bigger and better things, unfortunately. He’s very good. 

1 minute ago, big al said:

I think you are being a bit harsh, but I don't disagree that taking his game to the next level will involve dominating matches more often. I thought he was absolutely imperious in the 5-1 win against Hacken, but he maybe hasn't quite kicked on from there yet this season. Still, he more than has time on his side.  

I was more taking objection to a lower-end 30-year-old Championship player being an upgrade on a guy we rejected significant seven-figure bids from the Premier League for only a matter of months back. 

I've added young Jack to my list of players whose interviews I'll happily listen to. Currently that list consists of:

• Considine
  • MacKenzie

Clearly an intelligent young lad.

Now I may get pelters for this, but it has crossed my mind...should we be looking to play him as a centre back? He's maybe on the short side, but certainly not to the degree it's a deal breaker. He's absolutely superb in a one-on-one, absolutely loves to defend, and he's quietly fast as well. His weakness is going forward, not that he's bad, but he doesn't provide the dynamism that Ramsay does. He's very much a classic full back, which is wonderful in it's own right, but I just don't think that there is a place for a classic full back in the modern game/the style of play Glass wants.

Supporting arguments would be:

• I've been very impressed with Campbell at left back
  • It would free up McCrorie to play in midfield to replace Brown (who started well but I've lost faith)

Arguments against:

• He's performing well where is; what isn't broke don't fix
  • He'd probably excel on the left of a back 3, maybe a full on centre back in a 4 might be a stretch

Interested to hear opinions (but not from Hibs fans).

Edited by Illgresi

9 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I've added young Jack to my list of players whose interviews I'll happily listen to. Currently that list consists of:

• Considine
  • MacKenzie

Now I may get pelters for this, but it has crossed my mind...should we be looking to play him as a centre back? He's maybe on the short side, but certainly not to the degree it's a deal breaker. He's absolutely superb in a one-on-one, absolutely loves to defend, and he's quietly fast as well. His weakness is going forward, not that he's bad, but he doesn't provide the dynamism that Ramsay does. He's very much a classic full back, which is wonderful in it's own right, but I just don't think that there is a place for a classic full back in the modern game/the style of play Glass wants.

• It would free up McCrorie to play in midfield to replace Brown (who started well but I've lost faith)

Arguments against:

• He'd probably excel on the left of a back 3, maybe a full on centre back in a 4 might be a stretch

It might work on the left of a three but not in a two. 

Slightly odd that you have already lost faith in Brown. He has been instrumental to virtually all of our genuinely good performances and results this season. 

8 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It might work on the left of a three but not in a two. 

Slightly odd that you have already lost faith in Brown. He has been instrumental to virtually all of our genuinely good performances and results this season. 

"Lost faith" is maybe a bit extreme on reflection.

When we've been good he's been very good, and obviously a driving force.

He has however, on occasion been a source of turning over the ball leading to opposition chances, and goals. He hasn't been the driving force against County or Motherwell that he should have been. That said, we've dominated both games, and fucked ourselves over in either box, and that's not really his domain.

He's definitely better than Hartley anyway. Would I have Graeme Shinnie back ahead of him...I'd say yes. Shinnie and Brown, undoubtedly.

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think you are being a bit harsh, but I don't disagree that taking his game to the next level will involve dominating matches more often. I thought he was absolutely imperious in the 5-1 win against Hacken, but he maybe hasn't quite kicked on from there yet this season. Still, he more than has time on his side.  

I was more taking objection to a lower-end 30-year-old Championship player being an upgrade on a guy we rejected significant seven-figure bids from the Premier League for only a matter of months back. 

I just don’t see Ferguson influencing games in Scotland anywhere near enough to have an impact in the English premier league. Granted there are some seriously over paid players in that league as well. He’s certainly not got the speed and agility and quickness to get into a top team down there and his passing is nothing more than average. Far too static when we are in possession, but then that’s all our midfielders. 

46 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is Hal Robson-Kanu training with Aberdeen? Has that been mentioned by anyone? I haven't been on for awhile and can't be bothered catching up...

A Google search reveals nothing apart from Hedges praising him in 2019.

Any reason for thinking he might be? 

13 hours ago, big al said:

He was taking games by the scruff of the neck after Shinnie left. Think you've been a bit harsh bit I do understand where you're coming from. He's a future EPL player for sure.

12 hours ago, Illgresi said:

• Considine
  • MacKenzie

Arguments against:

Left of a back 3 definitely. Don't think he's imposing enough to play there in a 2 although he is very strong.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A mate mentioned it but probably just an unfounded rumour then if there's been nothing from anyone.

Of course, even if he his training with us it wouldn't necessarily mean he's on the verge of signing anyway.

Sure, but it's an interesting possibility. Maybe worth a look for a short term gig if Broony cripples Watkins again. 

Aye

Don’t think the Stephen Glass thing is going to work, as well intentioned as it may have been

He’ll get the season, we’ll scrape top 6, not do anything in the cup and we’ll appoint someone else in the summer 

Ego trip from Dave gone badly wrong, shame 

At least Derek McInnes FC fans will be happy though 

Edited by Frank Grimes