The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, starryfish said:

A friendly v Man Utd on 12 July 2008 seems to be the most recent.

Ah, I didn't go to that so it didn't appear on my listing, I was at a gig (Brian Jonestown Massacre) in Leeds the Friday night before.

Those noughties elite Guffball friendlies (Manchester United and Liverpool) sold out pretty quickly as armchair fans flocked to see their south of the border idols.

Therefore, it doesn't really count as thousands wouldn't have been attending to see the Dons, although technically you're correct.

Did Manchester United and Liverpool take up significant travelling supports for those games? I didn't go to either....Didn't a Liverpool based fan end up in court for firing an air gun or something?

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t even remember us playing Liverpool at all 

Someone 'accidentally' shot a flare gun at Pittodrie from the Broadhill. Went across the pitch if my memory is right. I wasn't there, second hand info.

EDIT: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jail-firing-flare-stadium-3545397

Edited by Merkland Red

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Ah, I didn't go to that so it didn't appear on my listing, I was at a gig (Brian Jonestown Massacre) in Leeds the Friday night before.

Those noughties elite Guffball friendlies (Manchester United and Liverpool) sold out pretty quickly as armchair fans flocked to see their south of the border idols.

Therefore, it doesn't really count as thousands wouldn't have been attending to see the Dons, although technically you're correct.

Did Manchester United and Liverpool take up significant travelling supports for those games? I didn't go to either....Didn't a Liverpool based fan end up in court for firing an air gun or something?

From memory Liverpool pretty much sold out the away end with the one section as it is now, I don't recall there being Man Utd fans in that section for the 2008 friendly.

54 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Someone 'accidentally' shot a flare gun at Pittodrie from the Broadhill. Went across the pitch if my memory is right. I wasn't there, second hand info.

EDIT: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jail-firing-flare-stadium-3545397

Came screaming across and landed at the control centre between the Main Stand and the RDS.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

I was in the RDS Lower that day. Absolutely mental.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I vaguely remember the incident, but I genuinely have no recollection of this match. 

33 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Also Mellor who nearly got hit by the flare. Here is a terrible photo of it in the main stand. 

flare.jpg

Very possible i'm in that photo. 

Flare came from outside the ground behind the South stand, bounced off the pitch around the corner of the penalty box and shot up into the wall in the corner. White shirt in the pic did an excellent job of panicking, ran back into his office to return with a half full kettle which he tried to use as a fire extinguisher