The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd say they are. I think all are fine as players that can cover injuries or suspension. I don't think any are good enough to start though.

I don't think we have a poor or even average squad. It's certainly underperforming though.

We’ll have to disagree.

I think it’s a much worse squad than can be made out, it’s unbalanced, lacks pace, creativity and quality in the centre of defence. 

Connor Barron was at us start of season on loan and played brilliantly at our level , good to see he’s getting a start , hopefully he turns into a wee star , Ngwenya has been more than decent at left back for us so maybe he can get into your first team as well 

1 minute ago, Ding dong said:

Barron had a very good first couple of games with us. He was completely anonymous last night as the game passed him by (he wasn't the only one to be fair). 

He's another youngster that has enormous potential but needs a platform to find his feet and time to make mistakes. I'm not sure that he has either with this current Aberdeen side. 

👍he’s welcome back at Kelty anytime to find his feet neeb 😂

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

We’ll have to disagree.

I think it’s a much worse squad than can be made out, it’s unbalanced, lacks pace, creativity and quality in the centre of defence. 

If everyone is fit then I think there's enough pace and creativity with two of Watkins, Hayes and Vicente playing on the wing.

Injuries have really fucked us over. No excuse as every squad gets their fair share. We seem to get more than most and probably something we should look to change with the recruitment going forward.

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I don't think it is. Too many players who are injury prone or living off past reputations for it to be a good squad.

I went through our squad list as it is on Wikipedia and quickly did a "keep" and "punt" list.

Keep...

Joe Lewis
Ross McCrorie
Jack MacKenzie
Andrew Considine
Christian Ramirez
Vicente Besuijen
Jonny Hayes
Lewis Ferguson
Michael Ruth     
Connor Barron
Calvin Ramsay

Punt...

Declan Gallagher     
Michael Devlin     
Marley Watkins     
Scott Brown
Adam Montgomery
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
Dylan McGeouch     
Funso Ojo     
Connor McLennan
Teddy Jenks     
Gary Woods     
David Bates     
Matty Kennedy
Dean Campbell

I really hope that Goodwin has a good eye for a player and has a list already forming for the summer. We've had a fair number of transfer windows that have failed to strength or improve the squad now and its really showing now.

Did the Buddies' fans not say that he didn't?

We’re needing a hell of a clear out in the summer but that could involve some expensive pay offs considering most of the deadwood we have are contracted until 2023

Only Hayes, Considine, McGeough and Ojo are out of contract in the summer and 1 year extensions wouldn’t surprise me for the first two

Expect we will move on / negotiate early releases for Brown & JET at least 

Think Lewis might move on as well if rumours are to be believed but he’s under contract until 2024

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

We’re needing a hell of a clear out in the summer but that could involve some expensive pay offs considering most of the deadwood we have are contracted until 2023

Only Hayes, Considine, McGeough and Ojo are out of contract in the summer and 1 year extensions wouldn’t surprise me for the first two

Expect we will move on / negotiate early releases for Brown & JET at least 

Think Lewis might move on as well if rumours are to be believed but he’s under contract until 2024

What's the rumours about Lewis?

There's multiple players wanting away, I think that's clear. Brown probably, Ferguson definitely, Ramirez probably, Gallagher maybe, Lewis allegedly. Amongst others I'm sure. Just looks like the chips are down and it's gone stagnant. 

This is all rumour-mill stuff and based on nothing but I do wonder if some of the 'old guard' have struggled with the change of regime - from McInnes' by all accounts laid back approach to training to the bigger demands made by Glass and now Goodwin, although too early to say obviously. 

Anyway. COYR.