The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Despite loathing Brown when he played for Celtic I've quite enjoyed seeing him in an Aberdeen jersey, but the logic for him being at Pittodrie disappeared with Glass.  The coaching gig obviously now exists in name only and he doesn't have enough left in the tank to justify a good wage as a player.  I'm not getting much sense of the drive to win we hoped we'd get from him:  he can get up for it for about 1 game in 3 or 4 but other times he looks every bit the veteran going through the motions in the twilight of his career.

I really hoped St Mirren would appoint him as manager, because that would have solved a problem for us.  A parting of the ways would be best for both parties.

From what I've heard it's been a pretty unhappy dressing room for quite some time and a number of the players would be happy to see the back of Brown

From what I've heard it's been a pretty unhappy dressing room for quite some time and a number of the players would be happy to see the back of Brown

Not necessarily a good thing - none of our players having achieved anything like Brown may have found his standards too high/ challenging?

24 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Not necessarily a good thing - none of our players having achieved anything like Brown may have found his standards too high/ challenging?

I’m sure that’s what scott brown will say in his first exclusive to the daily record when he gets out. 

18 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Despite loathing Brown when he played for Celtic I've quite enjoyed seeing him in an Aberdeen jersey, but the logic for him being at Pittodrie disappeared with Glass.  The coaching gig obviously now exists in name only and he doesn't have enough left in the tank to justify a good wage as a player.  I'm not getting much sense of the drive to win we hoped we'd get from him:  he can get up for it for about 1 game in 3 or 4 but other times he looks every bit the veteran going through the motions in the twilight of his career.

I really hoped St Mirren would appoint him as manager, because that would have solved a problem for us.  A parting of the ways would be best for both parties.

I was more than happy to have Scott Brown in our team for the first 5 months or so, and loved seeing him strutting about the pitch in a Dons strip. But he has definitely become less and less an influence on the team since we have gone on our fairly abysmal run since the new year. Unless he turns things around with his form on the pitch it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if he left.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I was more than happy to have Scott Brown in our team for the first 5 months or so, and loved seeing him strutting about the pitch in a Dons strip. But he has definitely become less and less an influence on the team since we have gone on our fairly abysmal run since the new year. Unless he turns things around with his form on the pitch it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if he left.

Absolutely this 

In the first couple of months he looked great and I thought it was an unbelievable coup for us 

He’s been really poor for a while now and it’s best for all that it’s a semi-amicable parting of ways now 

I see in the Keith Jackson piece, he's said...

It’s also believed Goodwin and his skipper got off to a bad start in their working relationship when Brown was interviewed as his potential managerial replacement, just 24 hours after the Irishman had left Paisley to join the Dons.

What does that even mean? Goodwin obviously wasn't comfortable working with Brown in the first place given he was part of the failed managerial team in previously. I don't really see the relevance in him interviewing for the vacant St Mirren job when it was clear he wasn't part of Goodwin's plans.

23 hours ago, coprolite said:

Obviously not party to behind the scenes shenanigans but can't see any evidence of his "winning mentality" or leadership qualities. Plenty evidence that he's a WUM and hot headed though. 

If he is on a big wedge he's not justified it. 

Always thought this was a weird one.

Scott Brown has always been an immature clown. The notion that he's a 'winner' exists purely because he played for Celtic in years when they couldn't fail to win, and even in doing so he managed to constantly act in a way that showed absolutely no class and was rarely befitting the captain of as big football club.

Celtic fans lapped it up because he liked laughing in the face of Rangers players, but his main virtue as a Celtic player seems to have been hanging around for years in an era when it was really easy to play for Celtic.

Goodwin seems a wise man to empty him. Never saw the sense in this for Aberdeen. Not enough left in the tank as a player to justify him being around, and he's always been a bellend.

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Scott Brown has always been an immature clown. The notion that he's a 'winner' exists purely because he played for Celtic in years when they couldn't fail to win, and even in doing so he managed to constantly act in a way that showed absolutely no class and was rarely befitting the captain of as big football club.

This is more or less exactly how I felt when we were first linked last summer. He'd looked like a passenger in his last season or so at Celtic, and I didn't think he'd have much to offer as a player without the same standard around him. In the first few weeks of the season, though, he did bring drive and game management to the midfield, and I thought was one of our best performers. But when the going got tough, the faux-tough did not get going. And he remains a bellend, of course.

Ideally, I think Brown would have been taken out of the firing line more often than he was under Glass. As I said previously, I don't think he had the legs, at thirty-six years old, to play the role that he was expected to play in the middle of the park as a first name on the teamsheet for virtually every game. Knowing how Brown is, too, he probably wanted and expected to play more or less every single minute, which maybe didn't help his case in ensuring he could maintain a higher standard of performance across the entire season. Glass clearly thought that he was one of our best and most important players, and for the first few months of the season that was correct, but was reluctant to pretty much ever take him out of the starting line-up or take him off if he was struggling with the pace of the game or just needed a rest (which almost certainly had something to do with Brown doubling up as a coach and essentially being Glass' man on the pitch). Glass probably didn't trust any other player in the squad to step up in Brown's absence, too, which was pretty much his analysis after we were beaten at Easter Road in December when Brown was missing through illness. 

I think some Aberdeen fans, although not necessarily on this thread, are allowing their pre-formed views of Brown to colour their assessment of his time with us, though. It undoubtedly hasn't worked out as planned, partly because his fortunes were always going to be intertwined with how Glass performed in his role, but he did start strongly and looked like a very shrewd signing for a while. It's probably best for all parties that he moves on now, though. 

Edited by DrewDon