The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 09/03/2022 at 18:25, Rodhull said:

He's clearly not been a success but having to make him out to be an epic failure as if he's solely responsible for us being where we are is really dumb and if anything says more about your obsession than anything else. Plenty of blame to go round without the need for hyperbole just because he hurt your feelings previously.

Most of it should be laid at the door of our chairman, imho.

Wasted 12 months never mind the money wasted.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure why you would think that losing one of the top scorers in the league, possibly the top scorer outwith penalties, would not upset our manager?

As @starryfish mentions, Goodwin might have different ideas style-wise up front. 

He's scored fairly regularly but if he needs to be sacrificed to improve other areas of the team, or for the balance the team or to be replaced by a striker that fits more into our pattern of play then I'm fine with that.

This season has been horrific and changes need to be made.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure Ramirez would have the appetite for another season anyway. If he is unhappy then there would be no point in keeping him here to fulfill his contract.

17 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

As @starryfish mentions, Goodwin might have different ideas style-wise up front. 

He's scored fairly regularly but if he needs to be sacrificed to improve other areas of the team, or for the balance the team or to be replaced by a striker that fits more into our pattern of play then I'm fine with that.

This season has been horrific and changes need to be made.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure Ramirez would have the appetite for another season anyway. If he is unhappy then there would be no point in keeping him here to fulfill his contract.

I’m not disputing that Ramirez might want to leave, but that’s totally different from the manager wanting our main goal threat to leave.

59 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Another goalkeeping target, like Clark, who surely wouldn't be coming to warm the bench. So have to assume that Goodwin, like Glass, wants to replace Lewis. 

Alnwick for Woods only. If Joe Lewis is wanting to leave for personal reasons, fair enough, otherwise he has to stay as our number one number 1..

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Alnwick for Woods only. If Joe Lewis is wanting to leave for personal reasons, fair enough, otherwise he has to stay as our number one number 1..

I’d say big Jak is a better keeper than Lewis, but I’m biased. He has been the difference between Saints aiming for top 6 these last two seasons rather than relegation. Best keeper we have had since Campbell Money.

I like Lewis and have defended him multiple times when he has been criticised, but he never seems to fare too well in more statistical-based rankings of goalkeepers at this level that I have seen in recent seasons. He might be wanting away, but I wouldn't rule out that the manager just doesn't rate him as highly as some fans do. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I like Lewis and have defended him multiple times when he has been criticised, but he never seems to fare too well in more statistical-based rankings of goalkeepers at this level that I have seen in recent seasons. He might be wanting away, but I wouldn't rule out that the manager just doesn't rate him as highly as some fans do. 

I do wonder whether there's a bit of bias in our fans view of Lewis because he was such an improvement over the previous 10 years of keepers. He has made a fair few howlers over the last three years. I suspect he's also on a very high wage. 

Aberdeen have a chance to sign a proven keeper at this level who could perform at that level for 4/5 years. Will Lewis be able to do that?

Keepers are gambles as you never know when they'll just stop, so its all about what the coaches see in training/matches. If there's any signs Lewis is slowing down then you're safer going for the younger option when it's there rather than sticking by the old horse too long then maybe not having any "safe" replacements. I'd guess Goodwin, and Aberdeen, will spend this Summer getting as many "safe" signings as they can.

I wouldn't be shocked if you sign 4/5 players from other clubs in this division tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen have a chance to sign a proven keeper at this level who could perform at that level for 4/5 years. Will Lewis be able to do that?

Keepers are gambles as you never know when they'll just stop, so its all about what the coaches see in training/matches. If there's any signs Lewis is slowing down then you're safer going for the younger option when it's there rather than sticking by the old horse too long then maybe not having any "safe" replacements. I'd guess Goodwin, and Aberdeen, will spend this Summer getting as many "safe" signings as they can.

I wouldn't be shocked if you sign 4/5 players from other clubs in this division tbh.

Would agree with this in the main. Glass tried to ring the exciting football and failed. Goodwin will bring the pragmatic football. Seems to rate McCrorie as a centre mid which speaks volumes. 

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Goodwin has admitted he is a fan of data/statistical stuff as well.

Even if Goodwin didn't move to Aberdeen, Alnwick was always going to leave anyway and I've been touting him for Hibs & Aberdeen for about a season. He's way too good for us. 

I have a really positive view of Joe Lewis as an individual, and as a goalkeeper he was brilliant for us for several seasons.

But before he came to us he'd had problems with serious, career-threatening collapses in confidence and form.  A GK with an England cap, even if somewhat fortuitously gained, doesn't end up at Pittodrie unless stuff has gone wrong.  We gave him a chance to rebuild his career.

He took it with both hands and was arguably the best keeper in the league for a few seasons.   The form he showed could easily have got him a move to a bigger club on bigger money.  When he signed a contract extension with us he was honest enough to say in at least one interview that he as grateful to us for giving him a chance to get his career back, but he also made it clear that part of his motive for staying here was fear that moving to another club could start up the old problems again.  Aberdeen was a comfort blanket for him.

All was absolutely fine until last season, when he made several terrible mistakes that cost goals and matches.  There were games we were controlling before a Lewis howler turned things round and we were well beaten.  I saw someone refer to it (maybe here?) as the goalkeeping equivalent of the yips, which I thought hit the nail on the head.

That would be ok if he'd bounced back this season, but he hasn't.  He's had some decent games but he regularly looks capable of costing us goals.  The worry is that the old Joe isn't coming back.  The player himself may feel that he has a better chance of regaining form with a clean slate.

It's a bloody shame, he was one of my favourite players for most of his time at Pittodrie.  But if I were in Jim Goodwin's shoes I wouldn't be gambling my career on Lewis getting back to the form of a couple of years ago.  It's just too big a risk.

Edited by Game of throw-ins