The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Someone 'accidentally' shot a flare gun at Pittodrie from the Broadhill. Went across the pitch if my memory is right. I wasn't there, second hand info.

EDIT: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jail-firing-flare-stadium-3545397

The Hell was that about throwing a flare at a crowd at a friendly? Is there some rivalry from the 80s Im not aware of?

4 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

I was convinced it was Eric Delamaeux (I’m aware that’s spelled incorrectly) that scored the goal against Liverpool.

Zdrilic with the goal at the RDS end, at that point I was convinced he was a player....

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Adam Montgomery out for a while apparently. 

Not a loss individually but if Hayes or mckenzie don’t make tomorrow night then who plays LB….

Recall Dean Campbell? 

f**k knows. I would say 3 CBs and use wingers as wing backs, but we've only got 2 CBs

I’m interested to know what general thoughts are on David bates…

I was listening to the terrace and they regularly absolutely batter him for being shite. 

I think it’s a little over the top and don’t think they have given him credit for steadying himself mid season but tbh he gives me the fear. The last few weeks he’s looked absolutely lost at times. Penalty on Saturday aside, there was the incident with tony watt on the ball down the right hand side where he was just beaten so easily it was toe curling. Van veen has bullied him more than once. 

My verdict - not good enough but not quite the disaster the terrace make out. 

I generally know thoughts on Gallagher, hence not including him…

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was listening to the terrace and they regularly absolutely batter him for being shite. 

What do you mean by "the terrace"? Section Y, View from The Terrace (which I find impossible to watch) or something else?

With regards Sticky Bates, as he's known on Wikipedia, there's a wide disparity between his playing 'qualities' and his wages. The same goes for Gallagher.

Bates must have a very good agent is my conclusion.

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

What do you mean by "the terrace"? Section Y, View from The Terrace (which I find impossible to watch) or something else?

With regards Sticky Bates, as he's known on Wikipedia, there's a wide disparity between his playing 'qualities' and his wages. The same goes for Gallagher.

Bates must have a very good agent is my conclusion.

The terrace podcast (the guys behind the view from the terrace). The tv show isn’t to my taste either but the podcast is generally good discussion about Scottish football. 

23 hours ago, gannonball said:

The Hell was that about throwing a flare at a crowd at a friendly? Is there some rivalry from the 80s Im not aware of?

I do remember that the sports shop that sold official club stuff (was it Rosslyn Sports? By Bruce Miller’s) used to sell half and half Aberdeen and Everton scarves- would have been 85 ish?. I don't remember there ever being any sort of link up or affinity apart from that Scarf though. 

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s a little over the top and don’t think they have given him credit for steadying himself mid season but tbh he gives me the fear. The last few weeks he’s looked absolutely lost at times. Penalty on Saturday aside, there was the incident with tony watt on the ball down the right hand side where he was just beaten so easily it was toe curling. Van veen has bullied him more than once. 

My verdict - not good enough but not quite the disaster the terrace make out. 

I generally know thoughts on Gallagher, hence not including him…

Like most, I thought that he had a poor start to his career with us, but definitely came on to a decent game from around early December. He looked pretty steady, but has turned to shit with Ross McCrorie going out suspended/injured/moved position. You can only assume that he felt comfortable playing alongside McCrorie but doesn’t feel the same security playing with Gallagher, who I thought had a good game on Saturday. Thankfully we stopped United’s attacking presence in the second half so Bates not really tested. I remember the incident with Watt in the first half and Bates looked as if he was panicking trying to stop Watt while already on a booking. And you have to question the mentality of a defender who fouls an attacker when he’s about to leave the penalty box and head for the corner flag.

54 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Like most, I thought that he had a poor start to his career with us, but definitely came on to a decent game from around early December. He looked pretty steady, but has turned to shit with Ross McCrorie going out suspended/injured/moved position. You can only assume that he felt comfortable playing alongside McCrorie but doesn’t feel the same security playing with Gallagher, who I thought had a good game on Saturday. Thankfully we stopped United’s attacking presence in the second half so Bates not really tested. I remember the incident with Watt in the first half and Bates looked as if he was panicking trying to stop Watt while already on a booking. And you have to question the mentality of a defender who fouls an attacker when he’s about to leave the penalty box and head for the corner flag.

He does have his merits. He was starting attacks from the back against rangers at pittodrie really well and obviously a great ball for the goal at fir park a couple of weeks ago.

I just strongly suspect he’s a poor defender. Agree Gallagher looked more solid on Saturday. 

I’ve seen a couple of people saying that last night was our worst performance of the season, but these folk obviously didn’t see our latest away game at St Mirren. We really, really miss Ross McCrorie when he’s not playing as normally he at least gives us a bit of fight and energy in whatever position he’s playing. Not 100% sure if he’s missing because of injury or Covid, but if it is Covid I hope that he’s well and good to come back against Rangers on Saturday. I trust that our habit of playing well against Rangers this season, regardless of how our form is when we play them, will continue on Saturday. Unless we remarkably turn our form round we are destined for bottom six and a potential battle to stay in this league.

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve seen a couple of people saying that last night was our worst performance of the season, but these folk obviously didn’t see our latest away game at St Mirren. We really, really miss Ross McCrorie when he’s not playing as normally he at least gives us a bit of fight and energy in whatever position he’s playing. Not 100% sure if he’s missing because of injury or Covid, but if it is Covid I hope that he’s well and good to come back against Rangers on Saturday. I trust that our habit of playing well against Rangers this season, regardless of how our form is when we play them, will continue on Saturday. Unless we remarkably turn our form round we are destined for bottom six and a potential battle to stay in this league.

St Mirren was worse but that really was terrible last night. We looked every bit like bottom 6 pish last night, just there to avoid a pumping. 

I think top 6 is gone tbh and the best we can hope for is that the season just comes to a very dull close without getting sucked into anything more serious. This is a team devoid of any confidence or quality at the moment. 

I keep hearing we have a good squad but I just don’t see it. I think we have a first XI that should be doing much better but beyond that what is there? 

And for the love of god can scott brown no longer be an automatic pick when he’s fit. The guy looks absolutely done of late. So either take him out the team for a period or let him pursue is management career.