The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

Given you lads seem to be all about youth players these days, do you have any good young centre halves coming through? 

David Bates is only 25. Yours for £100k. Although i'm sure we can give you more than that if necessary. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

David Bates is only 25. Yours for £100k. Although i'm sure we can give you more than that if necessary. 

Ha! I wasn't asking as a Jags fan, more just a Scotland fan and interested local. I've been encouraged by your emphasis on youth development and was just curious about who you have coming through, especially given your apparent current weaknesses in that position. 

What I find strange is that given the shit goals that we’ve been losing, and should have lost more yesterday, Jim Goodwin has stuck to playing Gallagher and Bates every single match. Gallagher has, overall, done a decent job, but Bates does not deserve his place. Either bring in Andy Considine to partner Gallagher or bring Ross McCrorie back to the back four at Easter Road.

31 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Do you not think the fact that clubs like Liverpool, one of the best sides in the world at the moment, are seriously interested in him and want to develop him, might just suggest that he has at least something about him? 

Doig is an example of a player that in his first season with Hibs, stood out, garnered a lot of attention, but Hibs choice not to sell (Doig was apparently reluctant to leave) and now all the interest has dried up. They could have potentially profited several million.

Ramsay is only 18 and so it's to be expected that he'll be inconsistent. Had a fantastic start to the season but has faded a little since his injury against Hibs. I'm sure Liverpool believe they can iron out some of his defensive vulnerabilities. The data indicates he's an elite youth prospect. My thoughts are sell him while there is interest.

5 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Doig is an example of a player that in his first season with Hibs, stood out, garnered a lot of attention, but Hibs choice not to sell (Doig was apparently reluctant to leave) and now all the interest has dried up. They could have potentially profited several million.

Ramsay is only 18 and so it's to be expected that he'll be inconsistent. Had a fantastic start to the season but has faded a little since his injury against Hibs. I'm sure Liverpool believe they can iron out some of his defensive vulnerabilities. The data indicates he's an elite youth prospect. My thoughts are sell him while there is interest.

That is a somewhat more nuanced and reasonable take than "sell Ramsay before he's found out".

55 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Do you not think the fact that clubs like Liverpool, one of the best sides in the world at the moment, are seriously interested in him and want to develop him, might just suggest that he has at least something about him? 

I personally don't think Liverpool is a good move for Ramsey's development. He's 19 in the summer and needs as much first team football as possible to develop.

I assume they'll loan him out but if, for instance, there was interest in Italy then I would encourage him to try his luck there.

18 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

Got strong Considine & Ifil vibes from Bates and Gallagher, give them as much time as they want on the ball then mildly pressure them and you get yourself a chance.

Now that we should (hopefully) be safe might see Polvara in for Ferguson to see how that goes (assuming Polvara isn't getting punted).

I know his loan spell was pretty poor but be interested in seeing Ruth getting a go in one of the last few games.

Knew last summer was going to be big but this one is going to be ridiculous.

The central defenders will be a real headache for Goodwin.  I don't think they are bad players necessarily, but they have zero confidence and are in terrible form.  They are both under contract, so does he gamble that he can get better performances from one or both or try to offload them (not easy based on their form this season).  Getting that decision wrong could mean disaster.

The problem for me is that they have been left far too exposed.  Both new to the club and one another.  An overly ambitious attempt to play expansive football under Glass. Full backs who are inexperienced, or not really full backs, and whose best attributes are not defensive.  A keeper who, despite his MOTM performance yesterday, has had a very shaky season and a back-up keeper who still managed to be significantly worse.  The injury to Considine who might have offered continuity and solidity.  The change of manager and systems.

Calderwood had IMO a much worse pairing in Diamond and Considine, but the whole team was practically set up to protect the defence and we got fourth place finishes.  It was terrible to watch but more realistic than the naivety we've seen this season.  Bates and Gallagher have been poor but they've been dealt an unfair hand.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

The central defenders will be a real headache for Goodwin.  I don't think they are bad players necessarily, but they have zero confidence and are in terrible form.  They are both under contract, so does he gamble that he can get better performances from one or both or try to offload them (not easy based on their form this season).  Getting that decision wrong could mean disaster.

The problem for me is that they have been left far too exposed.  Both new to the club and one another.  An overly ambitious attempt to play expansive football under Glass. Full backs who are inexperienced, or not really full backs, and whose best attributes are not defensive.  A keeper who, despite his MOTM performance yesterday, has had a very shaky season and a back-up keeper who still managed to be significantly worse.  The injury to Considine who might have offered continuity and solidity.  The change of manager and systems.

Calderwood had IMO a much worse pairing in Diamond and Considine, but the whole team was practically set up to protect the defence and we got fourth place finishes.  It was terrible to watch but more realistic than the naivety we've seen this season.  Bates and Gallagher have been poor but they've been dealt an unfair hand.

Good post never thought about it like that 

2 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I agree that Bates in particular needs to keep it simple and stop overthinking his play. I hope Goodwin rests him and gives Andy some games now.

The other way of thinking about is that we can't make much of Ramsay's attacking talent with such poor centre backs covering. At least Mckenzie and Vince seem to be forming an understanding.

Edited by Don exotic
Typo

Gallagher was poor yesterday, but he has improved since Goodwin came in with a regular run of games and he does sometimes look like he can do the fundamentals to a decent standard. I can see a situation where he recovers some form and at least competes for a first team slot on a more regular basis in a better Aberdeen team, although I certainly wouldn't say it's a given. I still suspect his best deployment would be in the middle of a three.

Bates just isn't good at all at the fundamentals of defending, and I fear deluding ourselves about that and failing to replace him would be pretty costly next season.

We need to replace the two centre backs and the two centre mids that are out of contract in summer with potential first team starters  for those same positions. Similarly, anyone else leaving needs backfilled with quality. 

We currently need at least one additional starting winger. 

We need back up/options at right back, striker and that attacking mid/second striker position we have Watkins in. 

That's 8 absolute essentials. 

It would be good to upgrade our squad options from Kennedy and McLennan as back up wingers and we shouldn't be relying on an ageing Hayes as one of those options. 

That's 11 new players that we really need to be decent. 

That's before even thinking about replacing Ramsay, Ferguson, Lewis or Ramirez. 

I hope our scouts have been busy. 

I don't think he is anywhere near ready for a move to England. Defensively he has lots to learn.

The bigger English clubs collect players these days - only a modest percentage of those they buy are actually expected to compete straight away for a first team place.

They will know all about Calvin’s defensive deficiencies, and the fact he’s had the keystone cops as back up in terms of other covering players. A couple of moments later yesterday, Calvin’s naivety did little for blood pressure control in the stadium as his errors invited Dundee chances from a set piece and a counter attack.

However, defensive attributes can be coached/taught - but clearly they feel he has all the natural talent required to be a modern day full-back, and that is a hell of a compliment based on how important the full-backs are to Liverpool’s style of play.

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

@RandomGuy. not sure if you still do your player profiles but was wondering how Barron compares to Ali McCann? Seems to make plenty interceptions and rarely loses the ball too.

Barron for Aberdeen v McCann in his "breakthrough" season.

barron.thumb.png.9f8789b7613f8586155dc1b016317b8b.png

McCann was a freak so Barron looks on a good course, maybe needs to add more in terms of runs into the box? Not seen him to know how hes being used though tbh. Kind of interesting system thinks he plays similar to pre-Aberdeen McGeouch.

Edited by RandomGuy.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Barron for Aberdeen v McCann in his "breakthrough" season.

barron.thumb.png.9f8789b7613f8586155dc1b016317b8b.png

McCann was a freak so Barron looks on a good course, maybe needs to add more in terms of runs into the box? Not seen him to know how hes being used though tbh. Kind of interesting system thinks he plays similar to pre-Aberdeen McGeouch.

Cheers!

He's never near the box to enter it and he's about 4ft tall so he'll never be an aerial threat either. Likes a shot from distance which will explain the efficiency. Can't see him getting many goals like the one McCann got at Pittodrie.

He's brilliant on the ball. Takes it under pressure and happy to play a risky pass. He's a joy to watch tbh.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Cheers!

He's never near the box to enter it and he's about 4ft tall so he'll never be an aerial threat either. Likes a shot from distance which will explain the efficiency. Can't see him getting many goals like the one McCann got at Pittodrie.

He's brilliant on the ball. Takes it under pressure and happy to play a risky pass. He's a joy to watch tbh.

Yeah its all about what you need from them really, for his age, and if you're just looking for a "6"/base for the midfield, he seems a great prospect considering hes in a poor team.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah its all about what you need from them really, for his age, and if you're just looking for a "6"/base for the midfield, he seems a great prospect considering hes in a poor team.

Can't disagree with that.

Cheers!

He’s had a few decent efforts from range tbf. Could see him scoring a few of them over the course of a full season.