The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

42 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

What about the final yr of his rather lucrative Wigan contract?
What would happen - he signs for us (for free) whilst simultaneously having his agent and the Union chase Wigan for that final year?

He must be on £8k a week, so half a million will be owed to him. Doing up that castle in Nairn won’t come cheap.

Depends what happens to Wigan. 

If they get put into liquidation then the contract is void and any claim he has goes into a pot with other creditors for pence in the pound. 

If they go into admin they can try to TUPE employees to a newco- he could either take reduced terms or put a claim in against the current co, again, pence in pound. 

They could try something informal, similar to the above, but it would be tricky. Wigan couldn't terminate contracts for anyone who won't play ball and would be bound by them. 

Most likely-If Wigan limp along and miss or delay his wages, they'd be in breach and he could walk away. I guess he might have some sort of claim against them for any differential that he loses out on but i don't know and doubt it. He could also stay there and hope they pay him. 

4 hours ago, Illgresi said:

We get a squad of 25 for Europe, and a spare 5 players to cover for injuries seems about right to me.

Most important is the quality of depth we have though. I'd like to see us have a "2nd XI" good enough to beat your average league diddies like Hearts, and save the best players for playing the Old Firm, Rangers, and the Euro games. So have a settled core, and rotate the flair players. I think people underestimate how big a squad is necessary to compete on all fronts.

That's if we intend to actually try and compete in Europe, rather than just get our "Good Sport" badge, and bumble off home content with our little jaunt and financial boost.

Someone needs to turn football manager off for the summer 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Depends what happens to Wigan. 

Sorry if its been mentioned, I can't be arsed re-reading the thread, but Alan Nixon was reporting Wigan players are free to find new clubs if they don't receive wages before Friday.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry if its been mentioned, I can't be arsed re-reading the thread, but Alan Nixon was reporting Wigan players are free to find new clubs if they don't receive wages before Friday.

Hadn't seen that but saw something saying if they didn't get paid again Shinnie could "rip up his contract". I think they meant metaphorically. 

45 minutes ago, betting competition said:

As I thought as soon as Early bird season tickets stopped yesterday they have released a list of players leaving

https://www.afc.co.uk/2023/06/13/end-of-season-2022-23-squad-update/

Have to say I’m quite glad that we’re looking to upgrade on all of the first team players leaving. Hancock did look decent in the LC groups last summer but if there’s not a realistic chance of him becoming a first team regular then it’s probably best that he goes elsewhere.

A new first team coach will be required as well with Liam Fox moving on.

29 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Surprised we've let Hancock go. Definitely thought there was a player there.

I thought he looked decent on his debut for us. I recall Goodwin saying he was very impressed with both Hancock and Milne in preseason. Surprisingly Hancock didn't feature much for Arbroath during his loan move. 

Looks like you were right too on Sokler. Not a project player but ready to compete in the starting 11 alongside Duk and Miovski. I wonder what the transfer fee we've paid for him is.

List of players released, sold or loan ended: Ross McCrorie, Clarkson, Coulson, Gorter, Markanday, Mysolvic, Pollock, Scales, Shinnie, Kennedy, Watkins, Hancock, Campbell and McLennan. Waiting to hear on Liam Harvey.

Liam Fox has left to be closer to his family in the central belt. I'm not overly disappointed tbh. I'm hoping Robson can source another Agnew type from down south.

Allan Burrows has tweeted, "The hope/expectation is we'll have a couple of new signings to announce in the near future ahead of what will be a busy transfer window at Pittodrie."

Potential loan move for Liverpool winger Harvey Blair. Portsmouth, Kilmarnock and Leyton Orient also reported to be interested.

27 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Have to say I’m quite glad that we’re looking to upgrade on all of the first team players leaving. Hancock did look decent in the LC groups last summer but if there’s not a realistic chance of him becoming a first team regular then it’s probably best that he goes elsewhere.

You need your MacKenzie and Hancock types to balance out the regular starters too, though.

People jump up and down about MacKenzie not being great but I could see him being the next Considine.

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I thought he looked decent on his debut for us. I recall Goodwin saying he was very impressed with both Hancock and Milne in preseason. Surprisingly Hancock didn't feature much for Arbroath during his loan move. 

Looks like you were right too on Sokler. Not a project player but ready to compete in the starting 11 alongside Duk and Miovski. I wonder what the transfer fee we've paid for him is.

List of players released, sold or loan ended: Ross McCrorie, Clarkson, Coulson, Gorter, Markanday, Mysolvic, Pollock, Scales, Shinnie, Kennedy, Watkins, Hancock, Campbell and McLennan. Waiting to hear on Liam Harvey.

Liam Fox has left to be closer to his family in the central belt. I'm not overly disappointed tbh. I'm hoping Robson can source another Agnew type from down south.

Allan Burrows has tweeted, "The hope/expectation is we'll have a couple of new signings to announce in the near future ahead of what will be a busy transfer window at Pittodrie."

Potential loan move for Liverpool winger Harvey Blair. Portsmouth, Kilmarnock and Leyton Orient also reported to be interested.

Hancock picked up a bad injury at Arbroath. Maybe isn't looking the same player since returning. He looked very good on the ball but Robson will know him well so happy to trust his judgement on this one.

Sokler maybe around the £300-400k mark, you'd imagine.

32 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

No surprises for me including Mason Hancock who is 20 now had a few injuries and needs game time. Sad about Dean Campbell with him being a dandy but the last 2 seasons he has went a bit backwards.

Massive rebuilt needed but thankfully we have a lot more time than in previous seasons.  

Edited by betting competition

20 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

You need your MacKenzie and Hancock types to balance out the regular starters too, though.

People jump up and down about MacKenzie not being great but I could see him being the next Considine.

Hancock picked up a bad injury at Arbroath. Maybe isn't looking the same player since returning. He looked very good on the ball but Robson will know him well so happy to trust his judgement on this one.

Suspect Sokler could even be a good bit less than that. I dont think we'd be jumping on him this early at that price. There is not a lot of money in Slovenian football so could be cheap. 

31 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I agree, although MacKenzie being there is possibly a factor in him not getting a new deal as they play the same position. We’ve also got Hayes who can play there and possibly Scales/another new left sided defender. Without much chance of a route to the first team, it’s probably better for his career that he looks for options in the championship, league one or back down in England. As you say, Robson will know better than anyone.

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

As I thought as soon as Early bird season tickets stopped yesterday they have released a list of players leaving

https://www.afc.co.uk/2023/06/13/end-of-season-2022-23-squad-update/

Nothing could compare with Eddie Turnbull's 1965 cull.