The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The St Johnstone keeper, Mitov, has seemingly performed well this season. Might be worth keeping tabs on him. 

He started incredibly well and single-handedly got us points, but hes becoming more erratic now (goal we conceded v Kilmarnock was a howler, disallowed goal v Motherwell a howler, started looking very ropey coming for crosses) so aye, simply keeping an eye on him to see what version of him is more like his actual level is probably wise.

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Possibly. However I think Roos has done well overall and would prefer we kept him. 

If Roos does move on I don't want Liam Kelly from Motherwell. The St Johnstone keeper, Mitov, has seemingly performed well this season. Might be worth keeping tabs on him. 

I would rather we kept him too. I rate him highly and think some of the criticism for him over the last eighteen months or so from sections of our support has been hyperbolic and ill-informed. Saying that, I think he will likely move on if he hasn’t signed up by now. 

Edited by DrewDon

On 10/11/2023 at 01:43, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Horrible c***s in a shithole town.

Can’t agree with that - Thessaloniki has been a fantastic city, which I would place into the San Sebastián bracket of ‘would happily come back again one day’.

Hospitality from everyone we have encountered has been second to none, but admittedly we were kept well away from the Gate 4 ba heids. The racket they put in a stadium is something else though.

A couple of their cops crossed a line at the equaliser and got a little baton-happy, but again some smart stewarding and cool heids from some worldly-wise dandies stopped that getting out of control.

Yesterday's result and the performance were both shambolic and embarrassing. Irrespective of the opposition being Celtic and the financial gulf between the clubs. As we saw with Goodwin last season Cormack isn't trigger happy and will afford the opportunity to salvage the situation. After having lost 5-0 to Hearts Goodwin followed that up with further humiliating results such as the 6-0 lose to Hibs at Easter Road and the 1-0 defeat to Darvel. Arguably the worst Scottish cup result for a top flight side in Scottish football. Cormack's hand had been forced.

I personally don't think Robson is currently close to being in a sackable position like Goodwin found himself in. He still has credit in the bank given the heroics of last season to achieve third spot. He's guided us to our first cup final since 2018/19. While some will say we haven't won a game in Europe this season we've also been drawn into a very tough group. I highly doubt any club outside the ugly sisters would have performed any better. I'm sure if we'd drawn opposition such as Riga we'd also secure a minimum of 6 points. Had VAR been utilized appropriatelywe'd have beaten POAK at home and would still be competing for qualification from the group. Nevertheless we are out but I'm proud of our recent efforts in Europe given some of the opposition we've faced. We made a very good side in POAK look average. Same could be applied to Frankfurt (one club ranking behind Fiorentina whom reached the final last season) after our performance in Germany. I anticipate either POAK or Frankfurt to potentially go on and win the competition.

Regarding the league. 11 matches into the campaign and we've only played 4 games at home (one of which was against Celtic).

Admittedly this is delusional optimism on my part however IF we were to win the two postponed home games against Livingston and Dundee we could potentially find ourselves in 4th spot and within a point of third. This all despite competing on all fronts. The brutal truth is we as a club aren't equipped to do so. We haven't got the squad nor the finances. Questions need to asked of Robson as to why we have barely seen (or in some instances not at all) Dadia, Williams, Vinnie, MacDonald, Sokler, Gueye, Marshall and Milne. Especially given he's frequently found excusing his players due to tiredness. Hopefully he finally addresses his tactics/choice of formation after yesterday and changes it going forward. When we play the ball on the deck as shown against Motherwell away we are a decent side.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

13 hours ago, Girth said:

Aberdeen relegation express!?

The way the league table is right now every one of the non-weegie bigot freakshow clubs is a candidate for any one of ten positions.

Even the much-lauded St Mirren reminded us of that at the weekend.

I actually think that given our upcoming fixtures, AFC could actually find themselves bottom at some point soon - but still be in a welcome position of coming out of the European and LC fixture logjam still within touching distance of 3rd, which was always the aim.

As sore as yesterday was, if the 90 minute 3-0 had been the outcome - it would have been quickly forgotten about. Instead we got that mega stoppage time capitulation with the defensive players in particular running on empty, and the pantpi$hers are out in force.

It would have more of an issue in the bigger picture yesterday to have had St Johnstone at home and squander two points - which was the case a few weeks back after a European match.   

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yesterday's result and the performance were both shambolic and embarrassing. Irrespective of the opposition being Celtic and the financial gulf between the clubs. As we saw with Goodwin last season Cormack isn't trigger happy and will afford the opportunity to salvage the situation. After having lost 5-0 to Hearts Goodwin followed that up with further humiliating results such as the 6-0 lose to Hibs at Easter Road and the 1-0 defeat to Darvel. Arguably the worst Scottish cup result for a top flight side in Scottish football. Cormack's hand had been forced.

I personally don't think Robson is currently close to being in a sackable position like Goodwin found himself in. He still has credit in the bank given the heroics of last season to achieve third spot. He's guided us to our first cup final since 2018/19. While some will say we haven't won a game in Europe this season we've also been drawn into a very tough group. I highly doubt any club outside the ugly sisters would have performed any better. I'm sure if we'd drawn opposition such as Riga we'd also secure a minimum of 6 points. Had VAR been utilized appropriatelywe'd have beaten POAK at home and would still be competing for qualification from the group. Nevertheless we are out but I'm proud of our recent efforts in Europe given some of the opposition we've faced. We made a very good side in POAK look average. Same could be applied to Frankfurt (one club ranking behind Fiorentina whom reached the final last season) after our performance in Germany. I anticipate either POAK or Frankfurt to potentially go on and win the competition.

Regarding the league. 11 matches into the campaign and we've only played 4 games at home (one of which was against Celtic).

Admittedly this is delusional optimism on my part however IF we were to win the two postponed home games against Livingston and Dundee we could potentially find ourselves in 4th spot and within a point of third. This all despite competing on all fronts. The brutal truth is we as a club aren't equipped to do so. We haven't got the squad nor the finances. Questions need to asked of Robson as to why we have barely seen (or in some instances not at all) Dadia, Williams, Vinnie, MacDonald, Sokler, Gueye, Marshall and Milne. Especially given he's frequently found excusing his players due to tiredness. Hopefully he finally addresses his tactics/choice of formation after yesterday and changes it going forward. When we play the ball on the deck as shown against Motherwell away we are a decent side.

Agree with everything you say about the euro campaign, I have really enjoyed the 6 games so far, if not always the outcome. 
Robson is no where near a stage if being sacked yet, and Cormack wants him to have more transfer windows to get the team he really desires. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I desperately want to buy into that delusional optimism you open this paragraph with. But our fixture congestion gets a lot worse before it gets better. We have 12 games in 37 days before the winter break. I struggle to see us breaking into any rhythm that allows us to bound up the table any time soon. Being in touch with the top 6 and single digit points behind 3rd as we go into the January break is probably more realistic..... yet may still prove ludicrously ambitious.

It's a massive failing that Robson hasn't found a way to rotate more squad members into the team to deal with these fixtures. Like bpdon says it's only going to get worse. Stuck with the same formation, same 12-13 players every game, with a lot of wasted money sitting on the bench (or not even making the bench). What even is the plan with those players?

I find myself agreeing with majority of this. Robson lack of squad usage is just plain confusing when he also bangs on about tiredness. 

Our general style of play has been my concern this season as we have no plan going forward that I can see. 

I'm still fully backing him though and let's hope this time on the training pitch that he harps on about, makes all the difference.  

The brutal truth is we as a club aren't equipped to do so. We haven't got the squad nor the finances.

Questions need to asked of Robson as to why we have barely seen (or in some instances not at all) Dadia, Williams, Vinnie, MacDonald, Sokler, Gueye, Marshall and Milne. Especially given he's frequently found excusing his players due to tiredness. Hopefully he finally addresses his tactics/choice of formation after yesterday and changes it going forward. When we play the ball on the deck as shown against Motherwell away we are a decent side.

I largely agree but think your second point somewhat contradicts the first. We don’t have the squad to compete on teo fronts if we only play the same 14 players game after game while Robson complains that all our players are tired because they all played three days before. If we actually utilised more of the players we have available then our Sunday post-Europe performances might have been less lethargic.

I’m pretty worried Miovski will fizzle out post-Christmas (if he’s still here) due to the way he’s basically had to carry the team every game so far (not to mention playing internationally as well).

1 hour ago, BrodieJ12 said:

I find myself agreeing with majority of this. Robson lack of squad usage is just plain confusing when he also bangs on about tiredness. 

Our general style of play has been my concern this season as we have no plan going forward that I can see. 

I'm still fully backing him though and let's hope this time on the training pitch that he harps on about, makes all the difference.  

The first league game of the season was horrific, at a time of optimism and hope, when players are fresh and should be desperate for 2 games a week. Was a marker for things to come performance wise in a lot of the league games. 

2 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

I largely agree but think your second point somewhat contradicts the first. We don’t have the squad to compete on teo fronts if we only play the same 14 players game after game while Robson complains that all our players are tired because they all played three days before. If we actually utilised more of the players we have available then our Sunday post-Europe performances might have been less lethargic.

I’m pretty worried Miovski will fizzle out post-Christmas (if he’s still here) due to the way he’s basically had to carry the team every game so far (not to mention playing internationally as well).

That's where Hearts were this time last year. I feel your frustration.

I find myself drawing parallels to how I felt about Goodwin at this time last season. 

Similar to then, I could accept the points totals in the league. I expected inconsistency of results. If most league games has been like the 0-0 with st Johnstone and we just lost looked off it and unable to find a win then I’d ‘probably’ be fine?

But again similar to Goodwin, the bad results have accompanied absolutely horrendous performances which go beyond fatigue and travel. One is pretty inexcusable but it’s truly alarming how many we’ve seen domestically. 

The only edge robson has on Goodwin for me is that he has got ‘something’ to offer in these big games. The frequency of performance, if not results, shows it’s not a flash in the pan or blind luck. Goodwin never had that, even his bigger wins came with caveats. 

FWIW, I don’t think the club are anywhere close to sacking him yet. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I find myself drawing parallels to how I felt about Goodwin at this time last season. 

Similar to then, I could accept the points totals in the league. I expected inconsistency of results. If most league games has been like the 0-0 with st Johnstone and we just lost looked off it and unable to find a win then I’d ‘probably’ be fine?

But again similar to Goodwin, the bad results have accompanied absolutely horrendous performances which go beyond fatigue and travel. One is pretty inexcusable but it’s truly alarming how many we’ve seen domestically. 

The only edge robson has on Goodwin for me is that he has got ‘something’ to offer in these big games. The frequency of performance, if not results, shows it’s not a flash in the pan or blind luck. Goodwin never had that, even his bigger wins came with caveats. 

FWIW, I don’t think the club are anywhere close to sacking him yet. 

Unfortunately I have to say, Cormack’s tweet just 5 days ago makes it pretty clear he & the club haven’t even contemplated it.

Maybe when my eyes stop bleeding, it’ll have changed & I’ll be seeing different.