The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 01/12/2023 at 12:05, DukDukGoose said:

Looking to book parking for Hampden. Using Just Park. A few locations available.

What sort of area am I breaching in to 'Rangers End' territory? Keep in mind that I will have 3 children under the age of 13 with me!

Just stick to the Kings Park area.

On 01/12/2023 at 12:05, DukDukGoose said:

Looking to book parking for Hampden. Using Just Park. A few locations available.

What sort of area am I breaching in to 'Rangers End' territory? Keep in mind that I will have 3 children under the age of 13 with me!

I've always used on street parking and usually Carmunnock Rd to the south of Hampden (fairly easily accessed via the East Kilbride Express way from the M74) and then walked down Aikenhead Rd to the stadium which should suit the Dons tickets - granted most of my visits have been for Scotland games/concerts barring the odd cup semi-final or final along the way ... 🤔

3 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Feels like Robson era is heading towards it's inevitable conclusion.

Without going on to the pitch and trying to knock in a couple of our multiple chances today, I’m not sure what else he could have done. Ridiculous to criticise him for today’s outcome.

17 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Feels like Robson era is heading towards its inevitable conclusion.

5 of the next 6 league games are at home. See where we’re sitting at the winter break. He needs a run akin to what he did when he took over as caretaker. 

27 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

5 of the next 6 league games are at home. See where we’re sitting at the winter break. He needs a run akin to what he did when he took over as caretaker. 

There's a similarity to Hearts in the run up to the World Cup break last year. Europoean games, we had Aberdeen and Hibs away, played the OF more than everyone else, very few home games against non-OF opposition, and generally a tough time of it. Aberdeen have had similar hard lines with the fixtures and congestion. Hearts got to the break just 4 points off third and then motored ahead once the fixtures balanced out (before the utter implosion).

However, that's Aberdeen already ten points off the pace, and while they've got home games coming up, they have dropped more points than they've picked up from their home games against non-OF teams so far, and failed two score in two of the three. 

December is going to be fucking huge for everyone, but Aberdeen have the feeling of something that could go one of two ways very fast.

Edited by VincentGuerin

39 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Without going on to the pitch and trying to knock in a couple of our multiple chances today, I’m not sure what else he could have done. Ridiculous to criticise him for today’s outcome.

He has to take criticism for how vulnerable we look defensively in pretty much every game. that involves both shape and personnel which is on him. 

‘you can’t be a good attacking team without being a good defensive team’ is his line that he’s used several times. He needs to sort it out. This squad is capable as we did see today in spells and he needs to sort it out pronto. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

He has to take criticism for how vulnerable we look defensively in pretty much every game. that involves both shape and personnel which is on him. 

‘you can’t be a good attacking team without being a good defensive team’ is his line that he’s used several times. He needs to sort it out. This squad is capable as we did see today in spells and he needs to sort it out pronto. 

There's a very good squad for a good manager to get something out of.

How long we wait to pull the trigger is the question.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s unclearly incapable of it.

Get him out & get someone in with a CV worthy of being Dons manager.

The Cup Final is actually holding us back from doing the right thing for the club in the medium to long-term. 

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There's a similarity to Hearts in the run up to the World Cup break last year. Europoean games, we had Aberdeen and Hibs away, played the OF more than everyone else, very few home games against non-OF opposition, and generally a tough time of it. Aberdeen have had similar hard lines with the fixtures and congestion. Hearts got to the break just 4 points off third and then motored ahead once the fixtures balanced out (before the utter implosion).

However, that's Aberdeen already ten points off the pace, and while they've got home games coming up, they have dropped more points than they've picked up from their home games against non-OF teams so far, and failed two score in two of the three. 

December is going to be fucking huge for everyone, but Aberdeen have the feeling of something that could go one of two ways very fast.

We’re not Hearts. 

7 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s unclearly incapable of it.

Get him out & get someone in with a CV worthy of being Dons manager.

The Cup Final is actually holding us back from doing the right thing for the club in the medium to long-term. 

There are two extremes at play here. You’re one, get him out asap, and others, who don’t see any problems. The truth is the middle ground. Barry Robson has proved in quite a few games this season that he can get a performance out of this squad, more often than not in big games. He has also overseen quite a few insipid games. What he has to do now, is in the next 7 league matches before the “winter break”, is get 21 points, or at least 19. Anything less and we would be dropping points we shouldn’t be with this squad. Winning the League Cup would be a wee bonus.

38 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We’re not Hearts. 

There are two extremes at play here. You’re one, get him out asap, and others, who don’t see any problems. The truth is the middle ground. Barry Robson has proved in quite a few games this season that he can get a performance out of this squad, more often than not in big games. He has also overseen quite a few insipid games. What he has to do now, is in the next 7 league matches before the “winter break”, is get 21 points, or at least 19. Anything less and we would be dropping points we shouldn’t be with this squad. Winning the League Cup would be a wee bonus.

If the pattern continues though we'll get something like 9 points, way off 21. I don't see him changing anything enough to break that pattern. 

He really has to find a more possession based, midfield focused tactic. The performances have come in Europe and against Rangers, playing the 5-4-1 counter that doesn't work against the other 10 teams in the league.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

We’re not Hearts. 

Must you take everything so literally?

No, no shit you're not Hearts, you're the mighty Dons. But, it is not a particularly wild stretch of the imagination to draw an analogous comparison with Hearts last season who also had to juggle European demands pre-xmas. 🤷

Didn’t make the game as only just back from Helsinki then Tallinn. Watched it on red tv though. Didn’t play too badly, but have to disagree with Robson after match that that’s as good as we have been under him. 
He then goes on to state need to cut out the defensive errors, and that the defence was performing better when he was in charge last season. Coincidently McDonald was playing then, and strangely isn’t now, apart from Thursday when he was good and scored a worldie. 
Maybe give him a run in the team in place of the main culprit for the defensive mistakes? Just a thought min.

Robson is turning out to be a clown way out of his depth. 
So many games where his insistence on 3 centre half’s is making it far more difficult for the team, but he continues with this rigid shape. I’m starting to go right off him. 

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Is it though? Stop playing the bombscare at the back and play a better centre half who is on the bench. Concede less goals and give the team a better chance of a win or even a draw. 

MacDonald would almost certainly make fewer mistakes than Rubezic, but he is a very different type of centre-back. There is actually a lot I have grown to quite like about Rubezic's game, but he does just make too many mistakes - and costly ones, at that.

Being rigidly married to a back three, although it wasn't necessarily what cost us today, is becoming an issue for me. Could we try Gartenmann and Jensen as a two with Barron as the deepest lying midfielder? I think we could even potentially get away with squeezing both Barron and Clarkson into the team if we went with a back four rather than a three or a five.

I quite enjoyed some of Clarkson's passing today, looked a bit more like himself from last season.