The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Have to admit I was pretty meh about his signing but there's no doubt he's been one of our best players this season. Possibly the best outside of Miovski.

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ignoring the lazy mccrorie link, the ex elfsborg, now Brentford guy is interesting. Although we’ve been burned with loan keepers before 😔

Just saw that St Mirren have just loaned a different keeper from Brentford so could affect whether they're going to loan the Icelandic guy. Then again the size of some premier league squads it might not make any difference at all.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Have to admit I was pretty meh about his signing but there's no doubt he's been one of our best players this season. Possibly the best outside of Miovski.

Yeah, was definitely a meh signing but he has been brilliant.

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah I was pretty vocally against McGrath but he’s made me look a fool. 

He’s a far better footballer than I thought. 

One of my friends who's a United supporter said that Jamie McGrath would spend the season hiding on the pitch as much as possible. Complete opposite. Brilliant signing. 

On 22/05/2024 at 21:00, DrewDon said:

Nothing concrete admittedly, but I saw Scott Burns suggesting it is unlikely that Gartenmann will return for next season. I have mixed feelings about him, to be honest - some excellent games against better opposition, and better performances under Leven against more physical forwards, but probably not done enough over the season to suggest that we should be rushing into anything permanent, especially with three centre-backs under contract. In fairness, it could be a case that he took a bit of time to acclimatise to the Scottish game, too. 

It is nothing we don't already know, but our defensive recruitment last summer was bad, and we can't afford a repeat of that. If Jensen and McGarry are still here under Thelin, and I'd imagine they will be tough to shift given their contract situations, hopefully we can begin to see improvements now they have had a season to settle. But, being hard-headed, I am concerned that they are both fundamentally examples of bad recruitment (and possibly being a bit too led by data, not to go all Warnock).

We have three centre-backs under contract who are all quite flawed; I would be minded to stick with Rubezic just because he has more useful attributes than the other two, but in an ideal world I would be wanting a new first choice partnership. MacDonald played a part in stabilising us, but he's not as good as some like to make out. In the full-back areas, I don't particularly rate Devlin, but he might not be an immediate priority for upgrading; Mackenzie has shown positive signs, but you would want better competition for him than McGarry in a genuinely strong squad with our budget.

I actually thought Roos was decent enough for the most part under Leven after being poor under Robson and Warnock, and some of the criticism he got at set plays and crosses was exaggerated and a bit lazy at times, but best for all parties that he is moving on. 

Roos was a bombscare every time I saw him which is admittedly not much. 

Posted (edited)

Roos has been Jekyll and Hyde, extended runs of good form where he's looked as good or better than anybody we're likely to get and long runs of erratic form where he's looked like a guy it would be very difficult to build a solid defence around.  I don't think we can afford the gamble of keeping him not knowing which version we will get.  He hasn't helped his cause by clearly signalling that he wouldn't be staying when his form was decent and he expected to have options and then signalling his interest in staying when his form turned to shit and the options dried up.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

I think Roos has suffered somewhat from the quality we've had in goal for some time now. Everyone would be hailing him as superb had he followed on from Langfield.

He's definitely got a mistake in him, but he's a pretty serviceable keeper, and certainly good enough for us. That said, if he wage demands aren't in line with his ability, we move on.

How is the young lad Ritchie doing?

57 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I think Roos has suffered somewhat from the quality we've had in goal for some time now. Everyone would be hailing him as superb had he followed on from Langfield.

He's definitely got a mistake in him, but he's a pretty serviceable keeper, and certainly good enough for us. That said, if he wage demands aren't in line with his ability, we move on.

Probably quite a few parallels between Roos and langfield tbh. Capable goalkeepers but simply lack the consistency and concentration to be relied upon over the course of a season. And can’t kick for shite. 

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Roos is proficient at stopping shots and excelling in one-on-one situations. However, his ability to catch crosses, his kicking, and his tendency to dive the wrong way during penalties can be frustrating.

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Roos is proficient at stopping shots and excelling in one-on-one situations. However, his ability to catch crosses, his kicking, and his tendency to dive the wrong way during penalties can be frustrating.

All of which are totally 'coachable', even in a keeper of his age and experience. So there has to be a question mark over the quality of the gk coaches he's worked with up to this point.

Roos has had a poor season, and I say that as somebody who was a big defender of his in his first season, but some of the criticism about him under crosses was a bit much for me. He isn't particularly good at them, but I heard folk at pretty much every game moaning at him for not charging ten yards out of his goal to claim corners, when the opposition team have stuck at least two players in front of him to block him in. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

With Southampton having money to spend after getting themselves promoted this afternoon, will Miovski still be on their shopping list, or will they now be browsing in a different aisle?

Should he even accept that move? Know money makes it worthwhile, but feel like he'd be better suited to Spain/Italy tbh, and would have a better career.

Edited by RandomGuy.

49 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

With Southampton having money to spend after getting themselves promoted this afternoon, will Miovski still be on their shopping list, or will they now be browsing in a different aisle?

Hope he goes to Italy when he leaves. 
Feel that he won’t get the time at Southampton as England is cut throat  

Miovski is the best striker I have seen at Pittodrie, and I think he will have a very good career, but I would agree that England maybe isn't the best move for him and his attributes.

He is a good finisher, but it's not his best attribute and that might put off some Premier League suitors given what they will be looking for, and physically I think it might be a struggle for him too.

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He is a good finisher, but it's not his best attribute 

What would you say he excels at and what does he not? Genuine question as if he's the best you've seen at Aberdeen I'm truly missing something, as all I see(albeit limited views) is a good forward, nothing more.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

What would you say he excels at and what does he not? Genuine question as if he's the best you've seen at Aberdeen I'm truly missing something, as all I see(albeit limited views) is a good forward, nothing more.

His best attribute is his movement. I think Kyogo is the only other forward in the league who can match him on that front. You get quite a lot of strikers in this league who move for the sake of it, but pretty much every movement Miovski makes both with and without the ball is purposeful and intelligent.

His link-up play is good; I wouldn't say it is elite level, but it has improved since he has been with us, and he has become more comfortable at competing physically. If he did go somewhere like the Premier League, though, that would be another massive step up on that front. 

His finishing is good, potentially very good for Scottish Premiership level, but if I was scouting him for a Premier League or equivalent team then it might be an area where I would have some concerns. He has had periods in both seasons with us where the finishing hasn't been quite there, even if there are other factors contributing to that in terms of team set-up or a lack of suitable service, but probably a couple of games after the split (most notably against St Johnstone) where he should have had at least a couple of goals from open play, but wasn't quite able to hit the corners or get his technique right. That is perhaps the sort of thing that would put some teams off him, especially at Premier League level. 

Edited by DrewDon

43 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

His best attribute is his movement. I think Kyogo is the only other forward in the league who can match him on that front. You get quite a lot of strikers in this league who move for the sake of it, but pretty much every movement Miovski makes both with and without the ball is purposeful and intelligent.

His link-up play is good; I wouldn't say it is elite level, but it has improved since he has been with us, and he has become more comfortable at competing physically. If he did go somewhere like the Premier League, though, that would be another massive step up on that front. 

His finishing is good, potentially very good for Scottish Premiership level, but if I was scouting him for a Premier League or equivalent team then it might be an area where I would have some concerns. He has had periods in both seasons with us where the finishing hasn't been quite there, even if there are other factors contributing to that in terms of team set-up or a lack of suitable service, but probably a couple of games after the split (most noticeably against St Johnstone) where he should have had at least a couple of goals from open play, but wasn't quite able to hit the corners or get his technique right. That is perhaps the sort of thing that would put some teams off him, especially at Premier League level. 

We do know how to cancel some teams out, mainly you and Hibs TBF, so that's maybe me looking from the outside and seeing a fairly decent striker but nowhere near elite level. Pretty good technically and a half decent finisher, reminds me of Colak that was at The Rangers.