The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Hes not had a poor season though, in relative terms hes done well compared to how the likes of Russell done in their first year down there. Hes obviously not able to dominate as physically down there, which means he has to rely on his technical side, which was never the best. The amount of hype around him put expectations higher than they probably should have been.

Case in point.

Why are Wednesday looking to punt him out on loan(I'm guessing they would sell him if they could find a buyer) if he didn't have a poor season?

Bonus points for the standard irrelevant comparison.

Case in point.

Why are Wednesday looking to punt him out on loan(I'm guessing they would sell him if they could find a buyer) if he didn't have a poor season?

It's hardly irrelevant seeing as they're going to be playing one over the other.

Case in point.

Whats irrelevant about mentioning Russells first season in England?

And they want promotion, and are being linked with Jordan Rhodes and Darren Bent, both better strikers. They got Nuhiu who the manager likes as he gives them a different option. Then its between May and Lavery as the younger option. Laverys quicker and stronger so is better suited to the league, so his weaknesses are less obvious than Mays. He didnt have a poor season, but the club having better players as targets and feel hes the weakest one they have currently there

Whats irrelevant about mentioning Russells first season in England?

You've got a decent knowledge, superior to mine anyway, of the English lower leagues yet you don't know Russell isn't an out and out striker?

Or you're just clutching at straws because you're hyper sensitive to any criticism of May?

I'm still surprised this has made the papers at this stage.

The first we've heard of many of Derek's signings are only when they are actually a done deal.

Are season long loans for the next season usually arranged in the middle of May? (No pun intended). Hope it happens, though.

So he didn't have a poor season, he's just not very good?

Compared to the potential strikers they want to bring in (Bent, Rhodes), hes not as good, no.

You've got a decent knowledge, superior to mine anyway, of the English lower leagues yet you don't know Russell isn't an out and out striker?

Or you're just clutching at straws because you're hyper sensitive to any criticism of May?

Russell left United as a striker who sometimes played out wide, exactly the same as May. Its not me clutching at straws

This sounds like another Kris Boyd saga.

May is on the move this summer and plenty clubs will be very interested in him.

However not much point in us being in for him unless we are either going to play him deeper than centre forward or alter the formation.

In saying that the best matches I saw him play for Saints were cutting in from wide in the 4-2-3-1 formation

Hes got a better strike rate (goals per game) in all three divisions they both played in (Premiership, Championship here and in England)

May

England: 0.18 goals per game

Scottish Premiership/Premier League: 0.36 goals per game

Scottish First Division: 0.76 goals per game

Rooney

England: 0.24 goals per game

Scottish Premiership/Premier League: 0.42 goals per game

Scottish First Division: 0.69 goals per game

Rooney better in two out of three of your categories. Quite similar goal records over the past few years but, based on Rooney's 0.56 scoring rate for the Dons over the last 18 months, I would not be looking to replace him any time soon.

F*cking love stats :)

May

England: 0.18 goals per game

Scottish Premiership/Premier League: 0.36 goals per game

Scottish First Division: 0.76 goals per game

Rooney

England: 0.24 goals per game

Scottish Premiership/Premier League: 0.42 goals per game

Scottish First Division: 0.69 goals per game

Rooney better in two out of three of your categories. Quite similar goal records over the past few years but, based on Rooney's 0.56 scoring rate for the Dons over the last 18 months, I would not be looking to replace him any time soon.

F*cking love stats :)

I was talking in regards to their first full seasons in the respective leagues. Goals per minute is a lot less misleading too I find aswell. Seeing as May played about 20 minutes over ten games when he was 16/17 in the Premiership.

May

Premiership - Goal every 152 minutes

Scottish Championship - Goal every 118 minutes

English Championship - Goal every 353 minutes

Rooney

Premiership - Goal every 257 minutes

Scottish Championship - Goal every 119 minutes

English Championship - Goal every 184 minutes

It doesn't particularly prove anything either way, so all we're doing is just wasting moments of life staring at numbers.