The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

To go out to St Mirren, who then went on to beat Celtic and win the League Cup. That's a honker. An absolute sickener. Hearts Caley and Celtic left after that one game and crisp packet hands bottles it.

Spewing.

Axes to grind all over the shop. Why haven't you posted about any other players in such games?

You've got to look at Leighton during his time at the club. He's a playing legend but when he was GK coach we had a steady stream of average goalies coming up from England with a similar set of weaknesses (solid shot stoppers but poor at coming for crosses and kicking) to challenge Langfield, the man who made said weaknesses his own. He's not done a good job.

He was rotten. Langers ain't great but I wonder if anyone would take the following we've had ahead of him.

Ryan Esson (who Langers replaced), Derek Souttar, Bertrand Bossu, Mark Howard, Jason Brown, Dan Twardzik, Nicky Weaver and Scott Brown (there must be others I've missed). S Brown is the only debatable one out that list but I don't think he's any better/worse than Langfield.

There is an argument, with hindsight, that we made a mistake letting Bain go given his progression at Dundee but he couldn't have been overly impressive during his time with us otherwise he would've been kept on.

Here is a list of the terrible keepers we have had since Langfield joined the club:

Ryan Esson

Derek Souter

Bertrand Bossu (worst goalkeeper I've ever watched)

Stuart Nelson

Mark Howard

Jason Brown

Dan Twardzik

David Gonzalez

Nicky Weaver

Scott Brown

Danny Ward

Not including U20 goal keepers

Apart from Ward there isn't one I one put ahead of Langfield, i would put Esson about same level as Langfield. I did think Nicky Weaver would replace Langfield but in the end he looked terrible in the few games he played.

Edited by Milners

Our team on a whole at that point was rotten. The fact is that Langfield has been part of the two best teams I remember (Calderwood 07, McInnes 14) and even though he was the weakest link in those teams he tried his best and was never bettered by any other keeper we had.

Name a keeper we've had since him who's been better. Not even Man City loanee Gonzalez was any good.

Byrne was a weaker link than Langfield imo Edited by tlg1903

Here is a list of the terrible keepers we have had since Langfield joined the club:

Ryan Esson

Derek Souter

Bertrand Bossu (worst goalkeeper I've ever watched)

Stuart Nelson

Mark Howard

Jason Brown

Dan Twardzik

David Gonzalez

Nicky Weaver

Scott Brown

Danny Ward

Not including U20 goal keepers

Apart from Ward there isn't one I one put ahead of Langfield, i would put Esson about same level as Langfield. I did think Nicky Weaver would replace Langfield but in the end he looked terrible in the few games he played.

That list is just utterly utterly depressing and actually shameful

That list is just utterly utterly depressing and actually shameful

As RusselAnderson says that the Goal Keeping coach Jim Leighton and also Celtic Youth Academy goal keeping coach Colin Meldrum are at fault for the terrible keepers we had.

Edited by Milners

Clangers, for that was his name, shall be missed. Seems like a decent guy. Pretty hopeless keeper though. He and Samson were comfortably the worst two keepers in the division last season, and Clangers was hardly a first choice.

Nae that milked a wage for 10 years. To think he'll retire on my money makes me sick. 1 game in 10 years a keeper does not make, no less a legend like some are saying.

Let's not forget he nearly cost us the cup by dropping the ball on his 6 yard line.

I'm no Aberdeen - nor Clangers - fan, but that's a spiteful post. I'm not sure he'll be retiring on your £300 quid a year, either.

from the Beeb if nobody has seen

"It was a difficult decision to make but one I believed would benefit me and the club," said Langfield in a statement posted on Twitter.

"I would like to thank every member of staff past and present, from the cleaners to the chairman, who have supported me and my family for the last 10 years.

"I would also like to thank every management and coaching team that have trusted and believed in my ability, and all my team-mates past and present who gave their all for me, and hopefully they felt the same in return.

"Lastly and most importantly I'd like to thank the fans of Aberdeen for your support over the last 10 years. I know I'm like marmite - you either love me or hate me - but no-one can ever question my commitment or love for the club.

"Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul; a team spirit built in a family tradition."

http://www.scotzine.com/2015/08/after-a-decade-jamie-langfield-bids-farewell-to-aberdeen/

I wrote my views on this blog. Was the right time for him to go, arguably the main reason he lasted so long is because we didn't bring anyone better in but still had more good games than bad. Unfortunately, the blunders seem to stick out more.