The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

14 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

You can see my post above on Rangers, and what I think of them. 

My Mother would disown me, let alone my father.

That's OK. Scott Wright is entitled to look after himself, just as Aberdeen fans are entitled to tell him to poke it up his arse, and get to flying f**k. 

I'll ask the question I asked the other Rangers fan on this thread, why do you, as a Rangers fan, think Rangers are so universally despised? 

In the politest possible way, I don’t really care what you or your parents think about Rangers as Aberdeen fans, I’m simply stating that any Aberdeen fan who was a footballer would also give this move serious thought. You’d be gambling with your career and I genuinely believe the majority would put any hatred or club bias aside and make a decision that is best for them as an individual.

Some may decide not to, which would be their prerogative, but I genuinely feel footballers are different in many ways from fans.

They are involved in football from a very young age so don’t get the chance to go along to games as much as normal fans do. They are conditioned to view the sport as a career so tend to form less of an emotional attachment to a club. They are also well aware that it is highly unlikely that they will see out their career at a single club so cannot afford to be constrained by hatred or any feelings towards particular clubs.

You might think along the lines of “I’d never sign for them if I was a footballer” but history proves that this isn’t really a big issue when it comes to who players sign for.

As for why Rangers are hated by other fans, I could list many reasons, I just don’t see why that is relevant?

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's quite simple lads, if you're a young player at Aberdeen coming through publicly stating you're a big fan, there's one career move you don't make if you want to retain the respect of the rest of the Dons support.

That I don’t have an issue with, I wouldn’t expect you to respect him. It’s the inference that a player would or should flat out refuse to sign for Rangers because their allegiance to Aberdeen, which is ludicrous, that I disagree with.

Just now, AJF said:

That I don’t have an issue with, I wouldn’t expect you to respect him. It’s the inference that a player would or should flat out refuse to sign for Rangers because their allegiance to Aberdeen, which is ludicrous, that I disagree with.

I don't think it's much to ask for a player to have a moral compass.

I wonder what the Sevco trolls on this page would have thought if any Sevco player had gone to Celtic in the last 8 years? 

Have Celtic :

(A) Played European football at a higher level than the other cheeks for that period of time? Yup.

(B) Paid players more? Yup.

(C) Provided the opportunity to "win more trophies"? Yup.

Now this season/next 2 of those 3 things may change but going by Sevco fans logic on Wright they would have accepted any of their players going to Celtic in the last 8/9 years since they were formed.

Edited by afc_blockhead

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You're right, I'm being unfair. If an Aberdonian signs for Rangers then clearly they have been failed by their parents or at the very least the education system is broken.

Scott Wright signing for Rangers is nothing more than him making a decision to benefit his career. It has no other reflection on him as a person no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you attempt.

People like to confidently assert that their principles dictate how they would act in a hypothetical situation while they sit wearing clothing manufactured by exploited children, or they grab a coffee from a tax avoiding chain or they drink a Brew(dog) manufactured by a company that have exploited people for years.

Everyone has a moral compass until they actually don’t.

I think one of the most arrogant assumptions on here (which is par for the course with ****), is that this is a good move for Scott Wright's career. It's certainly a good move for his short term bank balance. For his career however...I highly doubt he'll be anywhere other than playing for a diddy club like St. Johnstone in 3 years.

He shouldn't be welcomed back. A north east loon, self professed Dons fan, joining them for ANY amount of money is criminal. He's a mercenary, and should be treated as such. 

It is what it is. If you're asking football fans to be rational, again, I'd suggest you look into following rugby. 

Haha brilliant. There are literally about 6 reasons why moving from aberdeen to rangers makes sense and most of them are not financial.

You keep mentioning this about me looking into other sport. I am maybe a bit older than you and got kids etc so realise it is just a game and there are more important things in life. If you are getting so worked up by this then maybe football is not for you.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I hate to be the one to break it to the Aberdeen fans on here, but when you lose a tooth, and you leave it under your pillow, it's your parents who take it away and leave a coin.

In Perth are you not all toothless by 30? What did you spend your nae teeth nest egg on?

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

I wonder what the Sevco trolls on this page would have thought if any Sevco player had gone to Celtic in the last 8 years? 

Have Celtic :

(A) Played European football at a higher level than the other cheeks for that period of time? Yup.

(B) Paid players more? Yup.

(C) Provided the opportunity to "win more trophies"? Yup.

Now this season/next 2 of those 3 things may change but going by Sevco fans logic on Wright they would have accepted and of their players going to Celtic in the last 8/9 years since they were formed.

You are confusing the argument here. Certainly, in my case anyway, I’ve never said Aberdeen fans should “accept it”. I completely appreciate why you all now have an intense disliking towards Wright now, I’d be the exact same.

I’m just countering the argument that an Aberdeen fan would flat out reject the transfer cos they are so staunchly Aberdeen and their morals would never allow them to play for such a club as Rangers.

Just now, AJF said:

Scott Wright signing for Rangers is nothing more than him making a decision to benefit his career. It has no other reflection on him as a person no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you attempt.

People like to confidently assert that their principles dictate how they would act in a hypothetical situation while they sit wearing clothing manufactured by exploited children, or they grab a coffee from a tax avoiding chain or they drink a Brew(dog) manufactured by a company that have exploited people for years.

Everyone has a moral compass until they actually don’t.

Rangers is a football club that attracts awful human beings that happen to be talented at football. This is an undeniable fact.

Alfredo Morelos is exhibit A but we could go back through many generations to prove out this scientific certainty.

10 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

I wonder if we've got a sell on clause for Terry Taylor. Set to join Burton Albion for an undisclosed fee. 

While Pep is in the TA forum raging that he plays for Wales.

Glad to see his fathers decision for his career worked out well.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Haha brilliant. There are literally about 6 reasons why moving from aberdeen to rangers makes sense and most of them are not financial.

You keep mentioning this about me looking into other sport. I am maybe a bit older than you and got kids etc so realise it is just a game and there are more important things in life. If you are getting so worked up by this then maybe football is not for you.

Give us the 6 non financial reasons why it's a good move for a player to join a club that he won't be good enough to play for.

This will be good.

I think one of the most arrogant assumptions on here (which is par for the course with ****), is that this is a good move for Scott Wright's career. It's certainly a good move for his short term bank balance. For his career however...I highly doubt he'll be anywhere other than playing for a diddy club like St. Johnstone in 3 years.

As i have said, it depends on whether be plays. However, its a bigger club with better facilities. He will be playing with better players. He will be playing under Stevie Gerrard. If he plays well then he will no doubt have a better chance of being called up for Scotland. He will get to play in europe (almost certainly longer than the qualifiers).

To be honest, the biggest reason is he gets to live in glasgow rather than that miserable hellhole Aberdeen

He may well end up at st Johnstone in three years but least he will be a lot richer