The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn’t do it in his shoes. I could understand if the move was for similar money and your rival was at a similar level but he will probably treble his money and probably get better opportunities.

This is what I’m getting at. There are numerous examples down the years of players signing for “rivals”.

Arfield signed for Rangers despite being a boyhood Celtic fan.

Scott Allen signed for Celtic despite being a boyhood Rangers fan.

Lampard signed for Chelsea despite being a boyhood West Ham fan.

Jamie Carragher signed for Liverpool despite being a boyhood Everton fan.

And so on, and so on. All of them took that decision to further their careers and develop as a player. But Aberdeen is different...

I wasn't around at the time and obviously the circumstances were different as he didn't go straight there from us, but what was the mood of the support when Neale Cooper signed for Rangers. And before anyone says, no, I'm not comparing tattie to Scott Wright, just intruiged to know how fans felt at the time.

14 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I wasn't around at the time and obviously the circumstances were different as he didn't go straight there from us, but what was the mood of the support when Neale Cooper signed for Rangers. And before anyone says, no, I'm not comparing tattie to Scott Wright, just intruiged to know how fans felt at the time.

resulted in the tackle on Durrant ?

6 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

I'd say not being able to go for a quiet, hassle-free pint in my hometown for the next 20 years would also play into my considerations, alongside the whole 'not being a c**t' angle.  

Surely that reflects worse on the punters that can’t differentiate between football and their private life and would go out their way to bother him?

8 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Well, my understanding is that the atmosphere in the Simmie V Durrant game, and the ferocious nature of the play, was due to Cooper playing, and scoring, for the **** that day. 

Apparently Cooper had steam coming out his ears and was flying into tackles

Of course this was in the days of #### S##n#ss

Edited by ewan14

12 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Well, my understanding is that the atmosphere in the Simmie V Durrant game, and the ferocious nature of the play, was due to Cooper , and S##n#ss ,  playing, and scoring, for the **** that day. 

ftfy

( Did Yorath not play for Aberdeen around that time ? )

Edited by ewan14

I'd say not being able to go for a quiet, hassle-free pint in my hometown for the next 20 years would also play into my considerations, alongside the whole 'not being a c**t' angle.  

Basically proves my initial point

16 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Where am I denying that happens? 

Carragher joined as a youth, Lampard joined because they got relegated, Allan joined because he's a mercenary. Was gagging for a move to Rangers, then Celtic offered him and he went, utterly pathetic show of integrity for the man, and his career never went anywhere. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16187249.boyhood-rangers-fan-scott-arfield-closes-ibrox-move-burnley-confirm-midfielders-departure/

Scott Arfield is a boyhood Rangers fan. 

Yes, players join rivals etc etc. Wright said he was a Dons fan, played for the club, said it meant "that bit more" to him. Few years down the line and he's fucking off to Rangers on a free, ensuring the club that's backed him injury after injury, lack of form etc isn't getting a penny for him. There's ways to do things, and he's done it in the most shitebag little c**t way possible. 

Nobody is saying these moves to rivals don't happen, it's about when they do happen, how they materialise etc. 

Wright didn't even tell McInnes he wasn't signing, he just ignored the offers. Steven Gerrard then informed Derek they'd agreed a deal with his player. 

It stinks. He's a pathetic little c**t, just like the Uber pussy, Ryan Jack. 

Arfield was 100% a boyhood Celtic fan and I know that for a fact. Dyche done him a favour to get his Rangers career off to a good start.

And what you’ve said there, all those points are valid, I was more countering the “I’d never sign for them simply because it’s Rangers” comments previously.

I don’t disagree with the points you’ve made, they are just different from what my original point was so you’ll get no complaints from me regarding them.

Edited by AJF

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Arfield was 100% a boyhood Celtic fan and I know that for a fact. Dyche done him a favour to get his Rangers career off to a good start.

And what you’ve said there, all those points are valid, I was more countering the “I’d never sign for them simply because it’s Rangers” comments previously.

I don’t disagree with the points you’ve made, they are just different from what my original point was so you’ll get no complaints from me regarding them.

Belting out simply the best while you're a Burnley player is strange behaviour for a Celtic fan.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

A Gothenburg Great and that will never be taken away from his legacy but he acted like a twat that day when Durrant was injured. He wound up Simmy and, in my opinion, I think Simmy made a wrong spy when he went in for the challenge.

When he played with us he displayed controlled aggression but that day Souness must've gave him orders to intimidate and it was a different Cooper than we'd seen at Aberdeen.

Cooper put that rag over his shoulders and I would've been amazed if there was anyone in the home support had a good word to say about him, and the goal celebrations left a bad taste too.

But Cooper had earned his right to be forgiven for that day and for joining them if not, by me at least, forgotten...

Edited by Bogbrush1903