The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

47 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

hypothetically if that does happen, where does McInnes go from here? Is his stock still high enough to get another decent offer in England? Top half Championship?

Once he leaves Aberdeen I do wonder if he might move more to Media as he does speaks very well at press conferences. 

If he does want to continue into management then I can't see him pick a smaller Scottish team so either a struggling championship team or a league 1 team in England. 

Edited by betting competition

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

Do you guys think that Derek would be interested in a move to Sevco?

Gerrard will move to a diddy club in the English Premier League so it is possible.

Do wonder if that is the move Rangers are going to make as signing very average Aberdeen players is very strange. 

Edited by betting competition

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

Do you guys think that Derek would be interested in a move to Sevco?

You'd think this time round he would be. He has to realise that he's going quite stale at Aberdeen and unless he is able to dramatically revamp the squad in the summer (which not many managers are great at continually doing), he's got about a year or so before his stock starts falling so if Gerrard goes to some diddy mob down South, he'll need to jump to still be out on the upswing as it were IMO.

Edited by Ludo*1

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

hypothetically if that does happen, where does McInnes go from here? Is his stock still high enough to get another decent offer in England? Top half Championship?

I could see that. 

His stock his still high, and he has the advantage of being a 'known name' (to a certain extent) in England due to his time at West Brom and Bristol City. 

I always felt sorry for Jimmy Calderwood when he left us. He seemed to be tainted for some reason, and couldn't get a gig anywhere. His record with us wasn't that bad, and he deserved a chance somewhere else. 

24 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You'd think this time round he would be. He has to realise that he's going quite stale at Aberdeen and unless he is able to dramatically revamp the squad in the summer (which not many managers are great at continually doing), he's got about a year or so before his stock starts falling so if Gerrard goes to some diddy mob down South, he'll need to jump to still be out on the upswing as it were IMO.

If you believe the rumours he wanted the Rangers job. 

Rangers refused to pay the compensation. McInnes was unwilling to leave without his severance package. Wouldn't hand in his resignation as he did not want to leave on a sour note.

Everyone moved on.

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I could see that. 

His stock his still high, and he has the advantage of being a 'known name' (to a certain extent) in England due to his time at West Brom and Bristol City. 

I always felt sorry for Jimmy Calderwood when he left us. He seemed to be tainted for some reason, and couldn't get a gig anywhere. His record with us wasn't that bad, and he deserved a chance somewhere else. 

Jimmy was a chequebook manager. There was nowhere else for him to go up here.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

If you believe the rumours he wanted the Rangers job. 

Rangers refused to pay the compensation. McInnes was unwilling to leave without his severance package. Wouldn't hand in his resignation as he did not want to leave on a sour note.

Everyone moved on.

I honestly thought he told them to bolt last time because he was settled at Aberdeen. It was quite a scene from the Aberdeen support at Dens as you serenaded him for 90 minutes in the game directly after he told them no.

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I honestly thought he told them to bolt last time because he was settled at Aberdeen. It was quite a scene from the Aberdeen support at Dens as you serenaded him for 90 minutes in the game directly after he told them no.

Regardless of the who, what or why he still deserves credit for turning it down.

If he wasn't settled I presume he would have left whether he had to resign or not. He'd also turned down Sunderland which was another basket case of a club.

34 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Jimmy was a chequebook manager. There was nowhere else for him to go up here.

At a club like ours, persuading the board to get the chequebook out is a valuable part of a manager's skill set.  You only have the chance to be a chequebook manager if you make it. 

Did Jimmy not have a reasonably successful caretaker stint at Killie or am i imagining that? 

Is McInnes not contracted until 2022? So we either fork out for a couple of strikers for his last season, or compo and the new guy finds a  couple of freebies. 

Unless McInnes gets a good offer elsewhere i'd guess he'll want to prove himself and try to win another cup during his tenure. I can't see him being inundated with offers from anyone that's been paying attention this season. 

I think the chat about him being off in the summer is wishful thinking. 

Just now, coprolite said:

Is McInnes not contracted until 2022? So we either fork out for a couple of strikers for his last season, or compo and the new guy finds a  couple of freebies. 

Unless McInnes gets a good offer elsewhere i'd guess he'll want to prove himself and try to win another cup during his tenure. I can't see him being inundated with offers from anyone that's been paying attention this season. 

I think the chat about him being off in the summer is wishful thinking. 

I'm not so sure on that however...if we finish 3rd and get group stage football in Europe I suspect he'll be less inclined to leave.

32 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Regardless of the who, what or why he still deserves credit for turning it down.

If he wasn't settled I presume he would have left whether he had to resign or not. He'd also turned down Sunderland which was another basket case of a club.

I reckon he would of taken the Sunderland job if we won the Scottish Cup that year. Meaning there is a alternate timeline where Hayes plays the ball in front of McLean to score. And we have Tommy Wright as manager 

1 minute ago, Dandiest Don said:

I reckon he would of taken the Sunderland job if we won the Scottish Cup that year. Meaning there is a alternate timeline where Hayes plays the ball in front of McLean to score. And we have Tommy Wright as manager 

Again, I'm not sure he stayed out of his love and determination to succeed for Aberdeen.

I suspect if it was a stable club he would have gone. Sunderland always had the potential for him to be out on his arse within a few months.