The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

If he loves AFC as much as he claims to, he definitely would. The guy has a house in Stonehaven more or less bought for him by the club, he's got his other house in Renfrewshire, he's been awarded new contracts, and since 2017 he's been on a farcically inflated wage. 

He'll be alright, the club might not be if we keep him. I understand that professionals back themselves and their ability, they have to, it's a cutthroat business, is football. However, if he had any humility he'd surely realise his time has come to its natural end, and he blethers on and on about loving the club, but he can't see the big picture for his own ego. 

I get the argument as to why would he walk away, but at the same time, he should. 

It's the ideal situation but I can't see it.

It's not a charity and of course he isn't working for free. At the same time the man literally turned down what I imagine was his dream job, along with another chance to prove himself down the road with Sunderland. Both jobs are seen as bigger in the world of football ,regardless of what we think about the diddy English leagues. On the basis of that alone I think he's earned the right to decide when he wants to go. I'd be happy for the club to take the decision out of his hands though.

11 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

If he loves AFC as much as he claims to, he definitely would. The guy has a house in Stonehaven more or less bought for him by the club, he's got his other house in Renfrewshire, he's been awarded new contracts, and since 2017 he's been on a farcically inflated wage. 

He'll be alright, the club might not be if we keep him. I understand that professionals back themselves and their ability, they have to, it's a cutthroat business, is football. However, if he had any humility he'd surely realise his time has come to its natural end, and he blethers on and on about loving the club, but he can't see the big picture for his own ego. 

I get the argument as to why would he walk away, but at the same time, he should. 

The idea that he'd waive his contractual right to compensation when the club tell him they've had enough of him out of pure sentiment is fanciful to say the least.

Whilst it would be an incredibly charitable thing to do he has no legal or moral obligation to do so. Yes he earns good money but he's in an incredibly unreliable industry as a source of income, of course he's going to look after himself.

5 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I believe he has a moral obligation to do so. I don't begrudge him it and I understand why he wouldn't, but it's clear as day what's going on. 

1 goal in 9 games. 9. 

Most managers would know by then. 

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't share your view.

7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

He turned down those jobs because he's a clever man and new that long term it wouldn't increase his stock. He wouldn't have been given the money/time that Gerrard had.

He'd have been away had any championship club in England with a steady, normal ownership came in for him. There's a reason why that hasn't happened, though. 

I liked the guy up until the last few years, I get the sense that he truly believes he's some messiah figure at our club, that he's untouchable. 

He manages without pressure, and the players appear to play without any. 

As posters have said before, fans aren't even angry anymore, just apathetic. That's infinitely worse than rage when it comes to a football club, you can change someone's rage to love fairly quickly, but once someone has full blown apathy set in it's difficult to claw them back.

In spite of the pandemic, Dave Cormack is an incredibly wealthy man still. He could afford to pay him off no problem, if he wanted to. 

Well then you could argue he hasn't walked away from a pay off because he's a clever man.

Let's look at it another way. Many allege (and I'm inclined to agree) that the compensation figure for McInnes and Doc is somewhere in the £1.5m market. Common sense would dictate that their pay off would be in that area too. What sensible duo would walk away from that knowing they may never have the chance to make that sort of money again? Realistically who is going to give Del a wage at that level for his next job? Hearts if they are desperate?

I'm apathetic. If I was allowed to attend the next home game and it was being played outside my front door I'd struggle to muster the energy to go. I appreciate all he's done but I'd like to see him go today. It doesn't mean he himself should make the choice to go.

I doubt I'd chuck my money in like this if I was Cormack tbh. Once you do it once it becomes far easier to do it again. Look at Eddie Thompson.

2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying, in my view, as an actual lover of the club, I would walk away no questions asked after a run like he's had.

Its literally painful to watch at the moment. What was meant to be a form of escapism from the general drudgery and shite of life just now, has only added to the negative feelings many will undoubtedly have. 

I have no idea about Cormack at the moment, he started well, but he's shown himself up lately. I'm half expecting him to have no replacement lined up at all. 

He'll get a shock when he comes round with the begging bowl in April. 

It's very easy to decide what you'd do before you actually have to walk away from the guts of £1m though.

Did Cormack start well? He's been making a tit of himself in public long before Covid. A lot of it was just the nonsense fans think they want the chairman to say. I'd rather he didn't publicly moan about every slight or major decision that goes against us.

I don't think he's going to get a surprise tbh. I'd imagine he's weighing up the cost of binning the manager and potentially not getting 3rd against keeping him and not getting 3rd. It's not an easy decision when you genuinely control the purse strings.

14 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

If I already had potentially millions in the bank, and a couple proprieties, I'm pretty sure I would do the decent thing and walk. I don't want for much. 

I know it's not an easy decision but for me, it's one that should be made sooner rather than later, delaying the inevitable is pointless. 

Even if he gets us third, people will still want him to go. You can't defend his recent record. No one can, well, aside from the man himself, of course. 

"That final bit." Is all we're missing. He's an excuse merchant, and he must surely know himself that he's chancing his luck with fans with every passing game and delusional interview. 

The worry is, I don't think he is. He says he feels pressure as he puts a demand on himself and his team to win, but I don't think he feels pressure in the way he should feel it. He's been cosy for too long, so have many of the players, any manager who lists cup finals and semi finals as achievements at a club like ours (with aspirations to win silverware consistently) should be treated with contempt. 

He's bullshitted his way through the last 2.5 years and it's came to a head.

He's not holding the club to ransom though. The club offered him a contract and he signed it. We can't get upset about a manager seeing out his contract whilst getting upset Scott Wright etc leave at the first good offer they get. We can't have our cake and eat it every time it's convenient for us. Morally he's doing nothing wrong.

I'm not defending him, far from it. I've been boring folk on here for the better part of two years complaining about the football, signings and general lack of ambition from the club. I've just trying to look at the situation in a rational manner.

Real Sociedad, Burnley, Maribor, Kairat Almaty, Apollon Limassol, Rijeka, Sporting Lisbon

All sides of a reasonable calibre, either due to the league they play in, the money invested or their recent European pedigree.

Some were more beatable than others - but this has been our glass ceiling in terms of European group participation - whereas (unlike other Scots clubs and previous Dons sides) we have dealt fairly admirably with those we should beat, and come away with very credible wins against Groningen, Rijeka (the first time) and Viking Stavanger.

This season, the end game to that goal is still merely to finish above Hibs, a side who we were well ahead of, and since slipping behind them have been determined to leave the door open for us to get our act together and take it.

On Saturday afternoon, bar a flurry midway through the first half, there was no evidence of any motivation or determination to win the three points.

The team may be trying their hardest, but they are painting a hell of a picture of a side going through the motions.

Clean sheets are great - and I have witnessed Dons sides who leaked goals like a sieve - and I hate that - but having no attacking threat against a side of journeymen, and not for the first time, is a huge problem.

Maybe the fire has gone out of McInnes...................the Sunderland and Sevco offers came on the back of him appearing on the way up. Michael Stewart made the point that he's now in a comfort zone, and that is translating to the pitch.

Should Hibs f**k up again in Dingwall - the remainder of this season STILL remains huge for us..............but nobody seems to be telling the players or manager that.

Edited by tarapoa

The longer he's in the dugout the more I feel he'll be here next season. 

I did previously think he'd be away at the end of this one, but that would take some humility and lack of ego from the guy, which we all know we aren't going to get. 

What a sorry state we've become in the space of 2.5 years. He should've known the gig was up after those defeats to Motherwell in the cups a few year ago, utterly trounced. 

Give someone else a go.

He should have left after the season where we finished within ten points of Rodgers’ Celtic and ahead of Rangers, a good Hibs side and Steve Clarke’s Killie? Can’t say I agree.

13 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

What did that count for?

What came of that league position?

It counted for finishing 2nd ahead of a side who at the time, still had around four times our playing budget.  No-one else other than Celtic has finished above them - McInnes did it twice.

Also Lennon's Hibs that season were being lauded as a good side, as were Clarke's Kilmarnock - so seeing them off as well is not to be taken for granted. 

The tangible rewards were more prize money and merely missing the first Europa qualifier - and for some strange reason, drawing an EPL club in the second qualifier. This season, that would be a Champions League qualifier.

The negatives of that season were the two Motherwell cup games. The LCQF was a shambles that led to the emergence of McKenna swifter than maybe would have happened otherwise.  The Scottish Cup was a mess too, albeit I think we had half our team injured or suspended due to bookings knocking out Clarke's Kilmarnock in the QF - and we had to endure the Chidi Nwakali show, as well as the painful sight of Kari Arnason mkII getting ragdolled by Curtis Main !

Edited by tarapoa