The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I shall park my pessimism there on this subject, probably reflecting my own thoughts that I would detest driving  up and down the A90 everyday back and forth from Dundee.

However, it's interesting that the Motherwell fans on the one hand saying it wasn't a problem that he was commuting, and on the other hand saying he hasn't played this season. It might be factor, it might be nothing to do with it...

Anyway, I said that I would park and then continued saying something else on the matter. It's well and truly parked now...

They all seem to be in agreement that the captaincy was a bit too much responsibility and he had an eye on a move. I think he'll do fine.

Training is probably on 3 or 4 days per week. So Dundee to Kingswells is not much more of a commute when compared to other 'Aberdeen' locations which could be 30 mins+ 

Presumably he'll be staying over the night before matches.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Players commuting reasonable distances is common as f**k. 

People don't genuinely think players move house every time they change club surely? 

Aberdeen's a little different due to location and we're paying wages where there would be an expectation of a level of commitment to the club. I agree Dundee isn't as ridiculous as coming up from Edinburgh or Glasgow especially, as someone mentioned previously, the new bypass and proximity of the training ground next to the bypass.

I suppose I was little taken aback that a player would choose to reside in Dundee rather than Aberdeen, I've never heard that before.

Does anyone know how many current Aberdeen players don't live in Aberdeen City, shire or Kincardine?

To the second part of that question, I would expect Dunfermline players commuting from Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow or anywhere in between but I would be surprised at Aberdeen players not living Monday to Friday in the Aberdeen area. Maybe, I'm out of touch though...

For the lower leagues, I'm pretty sure Peterhead have training sessions both in Aberdeen for the North-East based players and Weeg for the west of Scotland ones...

We always speak up here of players moving to the area and rumours of new signings looking at places in the suburbs, such as the old Frank McGarvey in Westhill rumour back in thr early 1980s

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Aberdeen's a little different due to location and we're paying wages where there would be an expectation of a level of commitment to the club. I agree Dundee isn't as ridiculous as coming up from Edinburgh or Glasgow especially, as someone mentioned previously, the new bypass and proximity of the training ground next to the bypass.

I suppose I was little taken aback that a player would choose to reside in Dundee rather than Aberdeen, I've never heard that before.

Does anyone know how many current Aberdeen players don't live in Aberdeen City, shire or Kincardine?

To the second part of that question, I would expect Dunfermline players commuting from Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow or anywhere in between but I would be surprised at Aberdeen players not living Monday to Friday in the Aberdeen area. Maybe, I'm out of touch though...

For the lower leagues, I'm pretty sure Peterhead have training sessions both in Aberdeen for the North-East based players and Weeg for the west of Scotland ones...

We always speak up here of players moving to the area and rumours of new signings looking at places in the suburbs, such as the old Frank McGarvey in Westhill rumour back in thr early 1980s

McInnes and Docherty did not move their family to Aberdeen and Docherty commuted every day. I can't think of any players commuting though.

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

McInnes and Docherty did not move their family to Aberdeen and Docherty commuted every day. I can't think of any players commuting though.

I knew McInnes left his family in Houston, Renfrewshire and stayed in Stoney when up here, I just thought Docherty move to Aberdeen to compensate.

Do you know where  Docherty was commuting from?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Reality will always be - if a player is delivering on the pitch then nobody will give a flying f**k where his house is. If the same player sucks then people will find every reason to criticise him and "showing a lack of commitment" because his house is 50 miles away instead of 25 miles would be a perfect example.

McNamara was driving to and from Edinburgh.
If there was doubt about McNamara's commitment to the club if he chose to remain living in Edinburgh then there must be doubt about Gallagher's too.
I remember speaking to Stephen Hughes after a 0-3 defeat in Inverness in January 2013 and he wasn't heading back on the team bus as he was staying in the Glasgow area. I think a few of the players  had similar arrangements at the time.
If one player does then others might use that example to see if they can travel up themselves.
It's not just the distance but the effects it has on team bonding whilst also calling into question his commitment to the club. It won't be an issue if he's playing well and the team are winning, but if he isn't then it will be used against him just as it was with Jackie McNamara.

I once saw Russell Anderson at Glasgow Queen Street getting the train back to Aberdeen after we played St Mirren away. Years later, I still wonder why he didn’t just get the team bus.

49 minutes ago, d31 said:

I saw Docherty, whole family dog et al, walking along The Platties in Banchory last summer (round about the start of the season) - so presumed he did live locally.

51 minutes ago, d31 said:

You're right, McInnes didn't move his family to Aberdeen. That was nothing to do with commuting though, and everything to do with [REDACTED]

Brian Irvine put a bit in his book about the whole players living away from the city thing.

The likes of "Silky" Hetherston were fingered and apparently his words caused a split in the dressing room, which was blamed for disharmony prior to a midweek LC defeat at Dens.

Edited by tarapoa

39 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I once saw Russell Anderson at Glasgow Queen Street getting the train back to Aberdeen after we played St Mirren away. Years later, I still wonder why he didn’t just get the team bus.

Maybe he cheated at cards.

What are we looking for in a striker? 

I reckon we'll be able to tell a lot about what variety of fast attacking football we're going to get from said striker's attributes. In much the same way as you could read how last season would go from us signing Curtis Main. 

Obviously commuting distance is key, but what else? 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I reckon we'll be able to tell a lot about what variety of fast attacking football we're going to get from said striker's attributes. In much the same way as you could read how last season would go from us signing Curtis Main. 

If they wear gloves or not.

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Personally I feel he has to run around a lot.