The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

We are letting Gallagher commute from Dundee, much harder persuading English based players to move North when they have options down south

Very true, family situation helps a scenario.

Edited by big al

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He commuted to Motherwell from Dundee.

Wasn't McNamara driving to Aberdeen from Glasgow every morning?

Aye, a clear indication that he just didn't want to be there. Not seeing the issue with a commute from Dundee.

A commute from Dundee to Cormack Park with the bypass is really not that bad.

Been scanning top scorer lists for anyone we can steal from Scottish Championship etc and no one glaringly obvious.

we should just go full on team everyone hates us and play Lafferty and Griffiths as a two. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

He commuted to Motherwell from Dundee.

Wasn't McNamara driving to Aberdeen from Glasgow every morning?

McNamara was driving to and from Edinburgh.

If there was doubt about McNamara's commitment to the club if he chose to remain living in Edinburgh then there must be doubt about Gallagher's too.

I remember speaking to Stephen Hughes after a 0-3 defeat in Inverness in January 2013 and he wasn't heading back on the team bus as he was staying in the Glasgow area. I think a few of the players  had similar arrangements at the time.

If one player does then others might use that example to see if they can travel up themselves.

It's not just the distance but the effects it has on team bonding whilst also calling into question his commitment to the club. It won't be an issue if he's playing well and the team are winning, but if he isn't then it will be used against him just as it was with Jackie McNamara.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

11 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

McNamara was driving to and from Edinburgh.

If there was doubt about McNamara's commitment to the club if he chose to remain living in Edinburgh then there must be doubt about Gallagher's too.

I remember speaking to Stephen Hughes after a 0-3 defeat in Inverness in January 2013 and he wasn't heading back on the team bus as he was staying in the Glasgow area. I think a few of the players  had similar arrangements at the time.

It's not just the distance but the effects it has on team bonding whilst also calling into question his commitment to the club. It won't be an issue if he's playing well and the team are winning, but if he isn't then it will be used against him just as it was with Jackie McNamara.

There’s a significant difference between an hour commute and a three hour commute.

where’s the acceptable cut off for playing for Aberdeen? Stonehaven? 

49 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, a clear indication that he just didn't want to be there. Not seeing the issue with a commute from Dundee.

3 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

There’s a significant difference between an hour commute and a three hour commute.

where’s the acceptable cut off for playing for Aberdeen? Stonehaven? 

2 hour commute, he's got to get back home too...I've also added to the quote you used by saying that other players might request the same using Gallagher's travel as an example. Unnecessary hassles in my view...

19 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

2 hour commute, he's got to get back home too...I've also added to the quote you used by saying that other players might request the same using Gallagher's travel as an example. Unnecessary hassles in my view...

I work with a guy who commutes to Aberdeen from Dundee. Until Covid he'd done this for 9 years.

Don't see the issue with a footballer doing it when they are 'working' at most four hours a day?

Edited by Merkland Red

18 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think you're creating an issue that doesn't exist here.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I mean, Gallagher's "people" have probably said enough in the press over the past few months that you can reasonably assume that Aberdeen wasn't his preferred destination but if nothing else I'd say that being able to commute would have been a selling point in signing for you guys.

I also don't see where there's an issue here - given he's been commuting from Dundee to Lanarkshire for the past couple of years.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Aye a one hour commute is not a big deal. Just looking for reasons to be pessimistic I think.

I shall park my pessimism there on this subject, probably reflecting my own thoughts that I would detest driving  up and down the A90 everyday back and forth from Dundee.

However, it's interesting that the Motherwell fans on the one hand saying it wasn't a problem that he was commuting, and on the other hand saying he hasn't played this season. It might be factor, it might be nothing to do with it...

Anyway, I said that I would park and then continued saying something else on the matter. It's well and truly parked now...