The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, too many 'safe' players in attack. Hedges wasn't amazing last night but what he does is try and play in tight areas in and around the box with one touch passing. Ferguson does this too and Kamberi attempts it but has been pretty shite. It doesn't always come off but the likes of Mclennan, Kennedy and unfortunately now Hayes just want the ball in a relatively safe wide area to swing in a cross that virtually always gets nowhere. We need to get that attacking philosophy in the bin.

Mckenzie was the only silver lining last night, very accomplished defensively and did well against Boyle a few times. A bit of development needed on the ball and as an attacking threat mind, but that should come.

Yeah Hedges was direct but needed a Scott Wright type to play off. Kamberi started off so well but I genuinely can't remember him finding a red shirt last night.

Yeah. I thought MacKenzie was good on the ball until he tired. There's a noticeable difference between him receiving the ball under pressure compared to Hayes and Considine but we need him to be able to do it for 90 mins.

Glass has said he might not everyone he wants in before pre-season. Disappointing but to be expected at this level.

It's probably went a bit against us that we were still fighting for third. I expect he would have given a few more of the younger boys a look. I'm struggling to believe Ruth could not have offered at least the same as Kennedy last night.

Guest Bob Mahelp
18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You are looking for an Edouard then................

Not really. 

Adam Rooney was a 20 goal a season striker, and even Sam Cosgrove had a hot year.  

These players are out there...look at Nisbet with you guys for instance. 

Of course, it's useless having a decent striker if the rest of the team can't create chances for him. It's like having a Porsche without having a driving licence.

I think this is closer to how I feel than Bob.
I thought we looked a better team than Hibs last night. The problem is they have three players who are almost guaranteed to score a goal between them each game. If we score one of the relatively easy chances we had last night then we're not even having this conversation. It was only a few months ago where we'd get maybe one half chance a game and it would fall to Curtis Main,
Agree entirely about certain players being slow and ponderous near the box. Kennedy is especially poor for it. Just drive at a man, draw a foul or a corner if you're not going to beat him. No, ever time he checks back.
We've fucked about with Jonny Hayes at left back for a season when we've had MacKenzie under our nose. For about 75 mins he looked equal to Doig until he ran out of steam. Getting him to play as consistently well as Doig over the course of a season is the next challenge. I'm struggling to believe that half a season at Forfar prepared him as well as this for first team football but I could be wrong.

This a better summary imo.

We need to get some pace, and with a genuine goal scorer could well have scored 3 last night.

Fair play to Hibs, some decent players and Doidge a leader up front we are lacking. Also have pace on the out ball. Would still expect to finish above them next season no bother

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, scottorae said:

We need to get some pace, and with a genuine goal scorer could well have scored 3 last night.

Fair play to Hibs, some decent players and Doidge a leader up front we are lacking. Also have pace on the out ball. Would still expect to finish above them next season no bother

IIRC, Hibs fans were getting stuck into Doidge a year ago because he couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo. Most of them wanted rid of him. Boyle as well is not an outstanding player, but has had the best season of a (fairly average) career. 

Nisbet was an excellent signing and a player that we should have been interested in.

They have some decent players, especially up front, but have benefited hugely from a season where they've pretty much had no disruption at all to the strongest XI (at least compared with Aberdeen). 

Due to a horrendous run with injuries, we had to take on a rebuilding task halfway through the season which proved impossible. Disruption to the team led to poor results which led to a lack of confidence which led to more poor results which led to where we are now. 

It's obvious that at this moment Hibs are a better team than us, but I doubt if they'll be as fortunate next season to have so few disruptions to their side. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

IIRC, Hibs fans were getting stuck into Doidge a year ago because he couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo. Most of them wanted rid of him. Boyle as well is not an outstanding player, but has had the best season of a (fairly average) career. 

Nisbet was an excellent signing and a player that we should have been interested in.

They have some decent players, especially up front, but have benefited hugely from a season where they've pretty much had no disruption at all to the strongest XI (at least compared with Aberdeen). 

Due to a horrendous run with injuries, we had to take on a rebuilding task halfway through the season which proved impossible. Disruption to the team led to poor results which led to a lack of confidence which led to more poor results which led to where we are now. 

It's obvious that at this moment Hibs are a better team than us, but I doubt if they'll be as fortunate next season to have so few disruptions to their side. 

The injuries certainly didn't help, but if we'd had a coherent syle/philosophy/plan and a balanced squad going into the season it wouldn't have mattered so much. Squad players could have slotted in the gaps. 

Also hibs board backing the manager in January by declining offers compared to ours alleged, implied failure to release funds for replacements until the 11th hour pretty much sealed it. 

I think the January window and playing a back 3 without any actual wing backs along with signing Curtis Main as a main striker are as much to blame as Brown's unpunished assault on Watkins and Hedges injury. 

23 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Once Hibs got the goal they were able to sit in and play more on the counter. We've tried that this season and we'd lost all the pace from the team when Watkins was injured and then Wright left/Hedges got injured. Hedges isn't lightning fast but he gets the ball up the pitch quickly.

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hibs will have to recruit this summer. Either to replace the wantaway players, bulk their squad for Europe or both. They've recruited very well over the past couple if years and I'd expect them to do so again.

Martin Boyle is such a limited footballer but he's got raw attributes that will always give you a chance in Scottish football. He's ridiculously quick. If I was Hibs I'd be looking to cash in soon because when the pace goes they'll have a less talented version of the Jonny Hayes we've got.

Doidge wasn't scoring but he was going to start hitting the net eventually. @RandomGuy. can maybe prove me wrong but I'm pretty certain all the data was showing he was getting in to the right areas. That's preferrable in the long run than a striker on an unsustainable run of form for half a season.

Hibs were better than us over the course of a season and deserve third. They were only 6 points better off and that's after taken how poor we have been in to consideration.

Have to agree with Bob.

Considine, McGinn, Hayes, McLennan, Kennedy and the 3 loan strikers not cutting it.

Undecided on Hoban as well.

Campbell get a season on loan at a full time club to see if he can improve, possibly McClennan as well.

The team is so static when in possession and have been all season. Garner mentioned a few times last night about no movement ahead, so no alternative but to play side ways or backwards.

Connor McLennan must surely be made to look at Boyle and see what a fast heid-down player with little technical ability can actually become.

Nisbet never seems to do anything against us, but has clearly been an astute signing.  I recall us being linked with Doidge when he was at Forest Green, and he landed up at Hibs a year or so later, following a move to financially-hamstrung Bolton.

Agree in most of what's been said - a lot of new players having to fit into a new playing philosophy could be a recipe for a really tough season.  Out of the loan players, the one I'd still like to take a punt on is Hornby.  Full pre-season and working with Allan Russell - there must be a player in there given he's coming from the EPL and Ligue 1.

The days of us managing out 1-0 wins like Hibs were able to do last night may not ending up feeling so 'turgid' as a lot of our fans seem to want to label them.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Connor McLennan must surely be made to look at Boyle and see what a fast heid-down player with little technical ability can actually become.

Nisbet never seems to do anything against us, but has clearly been an astute signing.  I recall us being linked with Doidge when he was at Forest Green, and he landed up at Hibs a year or so later, following a move to financially-hamstrung Bolton.

Agree in most of what's been said - a lot of new players having to fit into a new playing philosophy could be a recipe for a really tough season.  Out of the loan players, the one I'd still like to take a punt on is Hornby.  Full pre-season and working with Allan Russell - there must be a player in there given he's coming from the EPL and Ligue 1.

The days of us managing out 1-0 wins like Hibs were able to do last night may not ending up feeling so 'turgid' as a lot of our fans seem to want to label them.

We were interested in Doidge but he ended up choosing Bolton instead. He got severely fucked about there. We had our eggs in the Cosgrove basket by that point.

Turgid football is still turgid football though. Shithousing a win every so often is satisfying. Having to watch it every week, not so much.

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

1362085742_Screenshot2020-12-07at08_49_39.png.a8eddec94f720c66a7b1d7b5e8ac83d5.png

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Martin Boyle is such a limited footballer but he's got raw attributes that will always give you a chance in Scottish football. He's ridiculously quick. If I was Hibs I'd be looking to cash in soon because when the pace goes they'll have a less talented version of the Jonny Hayes we've got.

GIF by MOODMAN

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

f**k Edinburgh

GIF by Apple TV

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

I can almost taste those salty North East tears from here..........................

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

1362085742_Screenshot2020-12-07at08_49_39.png.a8eddec94f720c66a7b1d7b5e8ac83d5.png

GIF by MOODMAN

GIF by Apple TV

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

I can almost taste those salty North East tears from here..........................

With all respect bud, this is the part of the forum where Aberdeen fans discuss all things Aberdeen, for good and for bad. Some of that will involve comparing other sides to our own. 

Normally you're a decent poster but you're making yourself look like a bit of a t1t. If you have nothing to contribute then maybe you should f**k off to the match thread and post yer wee boy gifs in there. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp