The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I care.

Do you're saying he's average at best?

For the MLS. 

Comparing performance across countries is a bit hit and miss tbh. He seems like some weird hybrid of a workhorse and lazy poacher, who won't really get involved in any build up play at all, or create chances for himself or others.

Interesting to see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Not anymore more concerned than I was about Main, Cosgrove, Parker etc.

Willing to give him a chance.

I don't think Main, Cosgrove or Parker were being hired as our 'go to' striker like Ramirez and nor were they coming in as, what we would assume to be, one of our highest earners, and stepping into a culture and footballing experience that were completely alien to them.

I'm willing to give him a chance because there's nothing else I can do but I think you're comparing apples and oranges. I don't think many people even expected Josh Parker and Sam Cosgrove to play much when they joined 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Just out of interest stuck his 2020 MLS season into our 20/21 season.

RamboSPL.thumb.png.9ec7bcd50345b8e05906d1e6776642ec.png

rambospl2.thumb.png.7154190a14f2c920a1b52f62d3ca27c9.png

Using this guy as an experiment now to see how well it can predict things.

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't think Main, Cosgrove or Parker were being hired as our 'go to' striker like Ramirez and nor were they coming in as, what we would assume to be, one of our highest earners, and stepping into a culture and footballing experience that were completely alien to them.

I'm willing to give him a chance because there's nothing else I can do but I think you're comparing apples and oranges. I don't think many people even expected Josh Parker and Sam Cosgrove to play much when they joined 

Well I expected Stevie May and Maynard to do well. Both flopped. Rooney went about as well as could be expected.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just out of interest stuck his 2020 MLS season into our 20/21 season.

RamboSPL.thumb.png.9ec7bcd50345b8e05906d1e6776642ec.png

rambospl2.thumb.png.7154190a14f2c920a1b52f62d3ca27c9.png

Using this guy as an experiment now to see how well it can predict things.

Excuse my ignorance, what does your graphs predict about him playing in Scotland?

thanks 

23 minutes ago, big al said:

Excuse my ignorance, what does your graphs predict about him playing in Scotland?

thanks 

He comes out better in Scotland than the MLS, so is either better suited to our league or the MLS is a higher standard.

Looks like a good lone striker.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He comes out better in Scotland than the MLS, so is either better suited to our league or the MLS is a higher standard.

Looks like a good lone striker.

From your experience is there a striker in the league that he particularly resembles? Looking at those graphs he reminds me a lot of what I'd have expected Adam Rooney to look like, but I know your data doesn't go back that far.

Edited by Illgresi

10 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

From your experience is there a striker in the league that he particularly resembles? Looking at those graphs he reminds me a lot of what I'd have expected Adam Rooney to look like, but I know your data doesn't go back that far.

I think I'll have Rooney at Salford tbh. 

Just from memory the closest is probably Guy Melamed. Can't think of anyone Aberdeen would have had who scores so poorly in terms of aerial duels under McInnes?

Melamed was weak in the air, couldn't really beat players in a foot race (prog runs) but could keep the ball in tight spots (high dribble %). Had a knack of finding space in the box (high pen box touches), and almost every shot seemed to hit the target. Ramirez looks similar. Just be a case of his build. It took Melamed a while to get used to how physical this league was, but eventually learned to play with his back to goal.

If that's right, then he'll struggle to play against the big clogger sides, which I guess explains why you signed JET as an "option", as he's about the best target man in the league.

3 minutes ago, betting competition said:

The replies ha ha 

Considering Chewing the Fat and Still Game are "all about the banter" it never ceases to amaze me how so many from that part of Scotland take everything so damn seriously and take total offence at any comment they don't agree with 

12 hours ago, Illgresi said:

FWIW, Ramirez 2020 v Rooney in the EFL, percentage is how similar they are in "style"...

afc.thumb.png.3743361d6d3ae8fc5ebe568a492a1d4a.png

Closest match I could find from your previous strikers, purely in terms of style, is Curtis Main, but theres a big difference in how they actually performed...

afc2.thumb.png.01ec868c0c0ee61acdfa037a64b17400.png

There's genuinely not a man I love more than Shay*. Consi is an upright, statesman of a loon for example. I respect the man greatly..

Shay is a lad like us, and I fucking love him for it. Give him the key to the city. Make him a fucking director on the board.

*Apart from my Dad tbf.

Edited by Illgresi

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW, Ramirez 2020 v Rooney in the EFL, percentage is how similar they are in "style"...

afc.thumb.png.3743361d6d3ae8fc5ebe568a492a1d4a.png

Closest match I could find from your previous strikers, purely in terms of style, is Curtis Main, but theres a big difference in how they actually performed...

afc2.thumb.png.01ec868c0c0ee61acdfa037a64b17400.png

Am I allowed to be slightly excited by that? Presumably the best one man strikers in the league are looking to be close to/above 75% in NP Goal Threat and Possession. Creator...great...but not a requisite. Ball winner...again..great...but more down to the tactics deployed.

How about compared to Doidge and Nisbet? Don't tell me you haven't already prepared...;)🤣