The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before and bear with me on this but I'm of the firm opinion we need a centre half, striker and perhaps a left sided player.

Joking aside, did Cormack not state that we were looking at bringing in more faces to the "group" and we wouldn't be bringing in players for the sake of it?

Ill happily wait if it means we are getting less dross like Kennedy through the door.

Suspect Darren Mowbray will be monitoring current EPL squad movements for a couple of loanees - but as ever they will be signed on or around Aug 31.

Any transfer fee the club decides to pay may depend on what ends up happening with Ferguson.

JJ Bull''s point on Glass was interesting.  Another thing that struck me was the subs made.  I was crying out for the last 20 just to be dull blood-pressure lowering "game management" - and thought the experience of Gallagher/McGeouch/McGinn may have been brought on around then.

Nope we got McLennan and McKenzie to join Jenks and, with Ramsay still on then the team looked very "young" and there was a feeling of vulnerability purely because of that............the red card changed everything, but it was almost like Glass was going out of his way to show how much he trusts the younger players.

McKenzie did well, but McLennan (after his wondergoal last week), came on and needlessly gave the ball away under no pressure to turn a promising attack into an opposition breakaway. Jury still very much out on him, but really hope he does make it as a player.

Edited by tarapoa

29 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Suspect Darren Mowbray will be monitoring current EPL squad movements for a couple of loanees - but as ever they will be signed on or around Aug 31.

Any transfer fee the club decides to pay may depend on what ends up happening with Ferguson.

JJ Bull''s point on Glass was interesting.  Another thing that struck me was the subs made.  I was crying out for the last 20 just to be dull blood-pressure lowering "game management" - and thought the experience of Gallagher/McGeouch/McGinn may have been brought on around then.

Nope we got McLennan and McKenzie to join Jenks and, with Ramsay still on then the team looked very "young" and there was a feeling of vulnerability purely because of that............the red card changed everything, but it was almost like Glass was going out of his way to show how much he trusts the younger players.

McKenzie did well, but McLennan (after his wondergoal last week), came on and needlessly gave the ball away under no pressure to turn a promising attack into an opposition breakaway. Jury still very much out on him, but really hope he does make it as a player.

The jury surely still can’t be out on McLennan?

He’s never going to cut it. 

Forrest Gump in a Dons shirt. 

32 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

You may well be right about Darren Mowbray & perhaps some movement on or around 31/8.

But we have 4 or 5 league games, a league cup tie & a huge European game before then. 

Do we have enough (particularly up front) to see us through 7 games, going with just Ramirez & JET, especially if we are starting them both. 

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Pretty much thinking the same tbh.

20 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

McKenzie did well, but McLennan (after his wondergoal last week), came on and needlessly gave the ball away under no pressure to turn a promising attack into an opposition breakaway.

Yup, a disgraceful attempt at a pass which at the time I blamed on the pitch coupled with the fact he just came on. You missed Gurr out tho; a solid 8 mins that included a thunderb*****d on target.

27 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

but it was almost like Glass was going out of his way to show how much he trusts the younger players.

The opposite of Del and exactly what the majority of fans wanted then no ?

31 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I was crying out for the last 20 just to be dull blood-pressure lowering "game management" 

You missing him too eh 😉

1 minute ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Pretty much thinking the same tbh.

Yup, a disgraceful attempt at a pass which at the time I blamed on the pitch coupled with the fact he just came on. You missed Gurr out tho; a solid 8 mins that included a thunderb*****d on target.

The opposite of Del and exactly what the majority of fans wanted then no ?

You missing him too eh 😉

Funnily enough the 'game management' in Europe usually ended up with half the team parked on the edge of the box and us defending for ours lives. Panic on the pitch and in the stands.

Last night we were happily keeping the ball in the corner and winning dead ball situations during the last 5 minutes or so.

I would imagine that McCrorie will miss out on Sunday as Gallagher comes in.  He's had to do a sticking plaster job in defence the last couple of games but hasn't always looked comfortable. 
As pointed out, we desperately need more cover in central defence. 
Is Campbell long term injured ? As decent has Ojo has been, I think Campbell would give us more control and balance, especially as it seems Ferguson will be pushed forward.

I hope Campbell never wears a Dons shirt again.

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Funnily enough the 'game management' in Europe usually ended up with half the team parked on the edge of the box and us defending for ours lives. Panic on the pitch and in the stands.

Last night we were happily keeping the ball in the corner and winning dead ball situations during the last 5 minutes or so.

Also, I think people have "game management" down as synonymous with parking eleven men behind the ball. There are several different ways to attempt to 'manage' a game. Of course, if Ojo scores that simple tap-in at 1-0 and kills the tie then the narrative would be quite different. It's a more high risk approach but also probably higher reward, and that approach was certainly crucial in the first leg in helping us get the fourth and fifth goals to ensure that last night wasn't as nervous as it could have been.

Edited by DrewDon

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Also, I think people have "game management" down as synonymous with parking eleven men behind the ball. There are several different ways to attempt to 'manage' a game. Of course, if Ojo scores that simple tap-in at 1-0 and kills the tie then the narrative would be quite different. It's a more high risk approach but also probably higher reward, and that approach was certainly crucial in the first leg in helping us get the fourth and fifth goals to ensure that last night wasn't as nervous as it could have been.

I saw a post on the hat after the first leg that read "somewhere in a darkened room Derek McInnes is rocking back and forth and mumbling that he could have seen that game out at 1-0".

Obviously a bit over the top but it seems to be night and day between the two managers. Derek probably rushes a defender on at 2-0 and we shitfest our way to a win. Probably does see it out at 0-0 last night but with some real eye bleeding stuff.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I saw a post on the hat after the first leg that read "somewhere in a darkened room Derek McInnes is rocking back and forth and mumbling that he could have seen that game out at 1-0".

Obviously a bit over the top but it seems to be night and day between the two managers. Derek probably rushes a defender on at 2-0 and we shitfest our way to a win. Probably does see it out at 0-0 last night but with some real eye bleeding stuff.

It's definitely a change. I mean, we could have seen out last night 0-0 under McInnes, but we could also have had another Apollon Limassol where we don't really create anything and concede twice anyway. At least last night, although there are legitimate questions over the goals we conceded, we had the number and quality of chances created to cling on to from the 90 minutes.

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye, that's probably all true....but enormously unfair.  McInnes gave us some of our best European nights in almost 35 years (the one Jimmy year aside). 

Took us from having no European pedigree at all, to beating a top Dutch team away from home, and stuffing Rijeka...who had hardly lost a European game at home, ever....also away from home. 

It's easy to have a go at McInnes, but his European record wasn't bad at all considering. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

If you’re backs against the wall, you’re conceding needless set pieces around your own area and/or quality chances then it’s not managing a game. You’re just clinging on. 

Too often in the latter days of Derek that’s what ‘game management’ looked like. 

I have absolutely no issue with seeing out a lead but ultimately you should still be in control of the flow of the game even if you’ve conceded territory or possession. 2-0 against Hibs at home last season was a classic example of how to do it right.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aye, that's probably all true....but enormously unfair.  McInnes gave us some of our best European nights in almost 35 years (the one Jimmy year aside). 

Took us from having no European pedigree at all, to beating a top Dutch team away from home, and stuffing Rijeka...who had hardly lost a European game at home, ever....also away from home. 

It's easy to have a go at McInnes, but his European record wasn't bad at all considering. 

Derek was a very good manager for Aberdeen. Unfortunately he had a tendency to overthink things when he wasn't the best tactically. It was usually the same XI, you'd maybe get one or two changes but just playing a different formation. Now it looks like we're going in to the game with several plans depending on how the game unfolds. If Glass is half the man manager that McInnes is then we'll be laughing.

Derek had some fantastic results in Europe. No-one can deny him that. It got worse as the years rolled on though. The one legged ties seemed to suit us well last year and I've no doubt that he'd have been even more successful if every European game was played over one leg.

Edited by Merkland Red

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you’re backs against the wall, you’re conceding needless set pieces around your own area and/or quality chances then it’s not managing a game. You’re just clinging on. 

Too often in the latter days of Derek that’s what ‘game management’ looked like. 

I have absolutely no issue with seeing out a lead but ultimately you should still be in control of the flow of the game even if you’ve conceded territory or possession. 2-0 against Hibs at home last season was a classic example of how to do it right.

One of the best examples from last season was probably a defeat, IMO. At home to Hibs. Hibs scored a very good goal after we missed a few chances then just played the game out. We would still be playing that out at 0-1 just now.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

TBF I haven't seen anybody slate his record home or abroad. Style of play / entertainment is a different discussion.

Edited by TommyDickFingers
dickfingers