The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
29 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Derek was a very good manager for Aberdeen. Unfortunately he had a tendency to overthink things when he wasn't the best tactically. It was usually the same XI, you'd maybe get one or two changes but just playing a different formation. Now it looks like we're going in to the game with several plans depending on how the game unfolds. If Glass is half the man manager that McInnes is then we'll be laughing.

Derek had some fantastic results in Europe. No-one can deny him that. It got worse as the years rolled on though. The one legged ties seemed to suit us well last year and I've no doubt that he'd have been even more successful if every European game was played over one leg.

Just out of interest, where have you seen that about ? 

Glass took over from McInnes and almost nothing changed. The results were still indifferent. We've played 2 games this season and were great in one (for 80 minutes), and fairly up and down in the second, which we lost. 

Aberdeen under Glass have stood out in 2 games as far as I remember.....at home to Celtic and Hacken....where we played excatly the same sort of high tempo game both times. 

It's not a criticism, just a genuine question. Where do you see evidence that Glass has more than a Plan A, in any game ? 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just out of interest, where have you seen that about ? 

Glass took over from McInnes and almost nothing changed. The results were still indifferent. We've played 2 games this season and were great in one (for 80 minutes), and fairly up and dowen in the seocnd, which we lost. 

Aberdeen under Glass have stood out in 2 games as far as I remember.....at home to Celtic and Hacken....where we played excatly the same sort of high tempo game both times. 

It's not a criticism, just a genuine question. Where do you evidence that Glass has more than a Plan A, in any game ? 

I'm not sure if this is a trick question but I'll answer anyway.

Under Derek we played a man marking system. It was very rigid. At times we had a forward running from full back to full back chasing the ball whilst everyone else moved around following one player. From what I've seen of Glass it's a fluid system where we press as a team. It's not about plan a, plan b etc it's about adapting and reacting to how the opposition move the ball so we can force them in to a mistake and counter.

Things absolutely changed under Glass, but results were still indifferent. He took over another mans team that looked to be lacking in confidence and fitness and the different to see after several months is clear. Rangers away you could argue we were the better team. We missed two of the biggest sitters you are going to see against a team that steamrolled almost everything put in front of them domestically.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not sure if this is a trick question but I'll answer anyway.

Under Derek we played a man marking system. It was very rigid. At times we had a forward running from full back to full back chasing the ball whilst everyone else moved around following one player. From what I've seen of Glass it's a fluid system where we press as a team. It's not about plan a, plan b etc it's about adapting and reacting to how the opposition move the ball so we can force them in to a mistake and counter.

Things absolutely changed under Glass, but results were still indifferent. He took over another mans team that looked to be lacking in confidence and fitness and the different to see after several months is clear. Rangers away you could argue we were the better team. We missed two of the biggest sitters you are going to see against a team that steamrolled almost everything put in front of them domestically.

It's not a trick question. We're just looking at things in a different way. 

I agree, we're playing a different way under Glass, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of flexibility to react to circumstances. I see Aberdeen playing a certain way, and if it doesn't go well, I haven't really seen anything to suggest that we adapt to change that. Maybe it'll come as we play more games. 

We were a bawhair away from losing the plot last night at 2-0 down, and were saved more by a stupid red card than by any tactical genius on our part. In fact, in our most humiliating result under Glass.....the 3-0 cup defeat.....he changed nothing tactically or personnel-wise until we were 3-0 down. 

I'm not criticising. I hope and trust that we'll become a better team. I just don't see what you're seeing so far. 

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Think it was JJ that coined the Scottish Mourinho thing about Derek.

“The idea is that you wait for someone else to make a mistake: rather than having the ball and being vulnerable yourself, you sit back and wait for your opponents to make mistakes. If you have good players, if you’re better than your opponents, you tend to win games."

26 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's not a trick question. We're just looking at things in a different way. 

I agree, we're playing a different way under Glass, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of flexibility to react to circumstances. I see Aberdeen playing a certain way, and if it doesn't go well, I haven't really seen anything to suggest that we adapt to change that. Maybe it'll come as we play more games. 

We were a bawhair away from losing the plot last night at 2-0 down, and were saved more by a stupid red card than by any tactical genius on our part. In fact, in our most humiliating result under Glass.....the 3-0 cup defeat.....he changed nothing tactically or personnel-wise until we were 3-0 down. 

I'm not criticising. I hope and trust that we'll become a better team. I just don't see what you're seeing so far. 

We were a bawhair away from equalising too though. I genuinely thought we had enough chances to win that game last night. I certainly didn't turn it off thinking we'd had a doing. As Ebbe would say "the operation was a success but the patient died."

It's been two games with a team you could almost call his. Surely we'd have to give him at least a round of league games before we say he can't adapt if it's not going well?

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Stinking European pot we’ve drawn.

If we beat the Icelanders, and assuming  the seeds progress it’s one of;

Spurs, Basel, Plzen or Qarabag.

That’s seeds 2,3 & 5 

Ah great...a team that has a squad value of c. 55 times ours; Basel, top of their group in the Europa last year; Plzen, we probably won't even be able to go there and enjoy their beer; Qarabag, another journey to the end of the world.

I believe I mentioned that we always get the hardest draws in Europe...

13 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

One of the best examples from last season was probably a defeat, IMO. At home to Hibs. Hibs scored a very good goal after we missed a few chances then just played the game out. We would still be playing that out at 0-1 just now.

Ha I had actually thought about the Motherwell game where they went 3-0 up after 15 minutes or whatever. 

9 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Ah great...a team that has a squad value of c. 55 times ours; Basel, top of their group in the Europa last year; Plzen, we probably won't even be able to go there and enjoy their beer; Qarabag, another journey to the end of the world.

I believe I mentioned that we always get the hardest draws in Europe...

If we're good enough to beat Breidablik, and all the favourites also progress out of our possible opponents then:

Spurs will probably be an impossible task on the pitch but a nice one for the supporters in these Covid days of restricted overseas travel.

Basel finished 31 points behind Young Boys of Berne in the Swiss Super League who Sevco knocked out two seasons ago. Tough but nothing to fear.

Plzen were 5th in the Czech league and would be a good match up for us and, I think, winnable 

Qarabag were 2nd in a low quality league and the "journey to the end of the world" is one they'll have to undertake too so there can be no travel excuses. Another winnable tie...

The PO was always likely to be a step up in opponent but drawing anyone other than Spurs then it's not too bad. I think Spurs, Basel, Qarabag, Plzen in order of difficulty.

So IF we progress to the PO and the other favourites do too, then I think only if we draw Spurs can you say we've been drawn against the toughest opponent again...

But that certainly hasn't been the case in Q3...