The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

37 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

Such a shame. Looked brilliant during his loan spell before the injuries.

Started last season well too but you could tell he needed a rest as he hadn't managed a lengthy run of games for a long time.

Guest TheJTS98

Not raking back through pages, so apologies if this is some well-done topic that I've missed.

On the Scarves Around the Funnel Hearts podcast last week there was a section where the discussion of fan-ownership led to the topic of what Hearts can reasonably expect to achieve, and what wage structures etc should be.

I'm sure it was mentioned that Aberdeen intend to move their wage bill to the region of fifteen million quid or maybe to significantly increase it from there. This was just referenced as a quick kind of base figure and then the discussion moved on, so no context was given.

Seems a huge amount of money. Is the figure correct, and if so, have Aberdeen outlined this anywhere that I can read their plans?

Edited by TheJTS98

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

Not raking back through pages, so apologies if this is some well-done topic that I've missed.

On the Scarves Around the Funnel Hearts podcast last week there was a section where the discussion of fan-ownership led to the topic of what Hearts can reasonably expect to achieve, and what wage structures etc should be.

I'm sure it was mentioned that Aberdeen intend to move their wage bill to the region of fifteen million quid or maybe to significantly increase it from there. This was just referenced as a quick kind of base figure and then the discussion moved on, so no context was given.

Seems a huge amount of money. Is the figure correct, and if so, have Aberdeen outlined this anywhere that I can read their plans?

I believe a certain Sir David Murray has been advising us as how this can be funded...

8 hours ago, TheDon99 said:

As much as it’s a shame, on a human level Aberdeen should be proud of the fact we gave him the opportunity to make the decision based on his happiness and what he really wants, not on the state of his knee. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I can't remember seeing any specific figure mentioned on here (although I may have missed it). 

I think much of this is speculation based on Dave Cormack saying that 'our wage bill has increased', and on little more than that. I don't know the context to the increase in wages.....as far as I'm aware our wages/turnover ration for the last 20 years has been pretty consistent (around the 55-60% mark), so it could be that our turnover has increased and we're raising wages proportionally. 

There's a bit of an urban myth....mainly circulating amongst Hearts and Hibs fans.....that Aberdeen pay vast wages and that we're kept afloat by some rich investors. Not true. Our wages/turnover ratio is relatively the same as both Edinburgh clubs, and has been for a long time now. It's just that Aberdeen generally has a higher turnover than Hibs or Hearts. 

Our previous chairman was very much risk averse. We don't know yet what this current guy is planning to do with the club, but given the fact that he's a stone cold succesful businessman and multi, multi millionaire, it would seem unlikely that a lot of risk will be involved. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I can't remember seeing any specific figure mentioned on here (although I may have missed it). 

I think much of this is speculation based on Dave Cormack saying that 'our wage bill has increased', and on little more than that. I don't know the context to the increase in wages.....as far as I'm aware our wages/turnover ration for the last 20 years has been pretty consistent (around the 55-60% mark), so it could be that our turnover has increased and we're raising wages proportionally. 

There's a bit of an urban myth....mainly circulating amongst Hearts and Hibs fans.....that Aberdeen pay vast wages and that we're kept afloat by some rich investors. Not true. Our wages/turnover ratio is relatively the same as both Edinburgh clubs, and has been for a long time now. It's just that Aberdeen generally has a higher turnover than Hibs or Hearts. 

Our previous chairman was very much risk averse. We don't know yet what this current guy is planning to do with the club, but given the fact that he's a stone cold succesful businessman and multi, multi millionaire, it would seem unlikely that a lot of risk will be involved. 

I hope his wealth isn't "off the radar"...

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Is this true? Would be intrigued as to why given the Edinburgh clubs generally have bigger crowds than Aberdeen. I suppose being constant top 6 and not dropping down to the championship plays a part but they weren’t down there for long.

Just now, gannonball said:

Is this true? Would be intrigued as to why given the Edinburgh clubs generally have bigger crowds than Aberdeen. I suppose being constant top 6 and not dropping down to the championship plays a part but they weren’t down there for long.

Aberdeen are miles ahead of both when it comes to corporate hospitality etc.

5 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Our year ending at June 2020 our Wages was 9.7 million as you can see with Club Accounts:

https://www.afc.co.uk/club/shares/

I would think Aberdeen would like to get wage bill to 15 million but they also have an aim to get 15k average attendance - I would say unrealistic but that is the boards ambitious aims.  Think club will lose 2-3 million this year as they are speculate to accumulate and try and get into the Conference League next season.   

I do think you need people with business expertise to run clubs but I would love to have the German model when the fans own 51% of the business. 

Edited by betting competition

13 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Our year ending at June 2020 our Wages was 9.7 million as you can see with Club Accounts:

I would think Aberdeen would like to get wage bill to 15 million but they also have an aim to get 15k average attendance - I would say unrealistic but that is the boards ambitious aims.  Think club will lose 2-3 million this year as they are speculate to accumulate and try and get into the Conference League next season.   

I do think you need people with business expertise to run clubs but I would love to have the German model when the fans own 51% of the business. 

Which fans though?

Some of the fans that would force their way in at some capacity is frightening.

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Been rumoured for a while but that's Ruth away on loan to Falkirk.

Thought he might have come to Cove and therefore kept training with the Dons but Sheerin's pull has clearly been vital in that move. How would you rate Ruth compared to Mitch, DGW, Simon Murray or other L1 strikers? Is he going to be prolific? Will get supply from Nesbit and Morrison so has a chance to bag a few I think. What are his best attributes?

Can't see us loaning any Aberdeen players this window. Ngwenya I like but we have Harry Milne. Mason Hancock I heard could be a candidate for a loan move but doubt we'll go for him either.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 21/08/2021 at 10:10, Jacksgranda said:

As long as he doesn't turn out like you, I'll be happy.

Young Jack is doing o.k., going for his masters this year, working part time in a chicken factory, bought his latest car for cash but had to take out a loan (which he could pay off today) in order to create a credit history, and his next project is gathering up the deposit for his own house.

He's just paid the renewal fee for our TV Fire Stick. (£100.00, I think.)

He's a good wee cub.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Which fans though?

Some of the fans that would force their way in at some capacity is frightening.

I would be worried with that as well but get the right Business people in charge and hopefully the club can prosper. I think the German model lets members vote for their voice on to the board and it is normally a former player they vote for. 

Motherwell have done well since fan ownership which I have been impressed with Alan Burrows. Be interesting to see how Hearts get on over the next 4 or 5 years to see if fan ownership can work for a club our size.  

Edited by betting competition

25 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Thought he might have come to Cove and therefore kept training with the Dons but Sheerin's pull has clearly been vital in that move. How would you rate Ruth compared to Mitch, DGW, Simon Murray or other L1 strikers? Is he going to be prolific? Will get supply from Nesbit and Morrison so has a chance to bag a few I think. What are his best attributes?

Can't see us loaning any Aberdeen players this window. Ngwenya I like but we have Harry Milne. Mason Hancock I heard could be a candidate for a loan move but doubt we'll go for him either.

We've not seen enough of him tbh.

Goodwillie was very good but he didn't score enough goals. We played better when he played but couldn't leave out Rooney due to the amount of goals he scored.

Hancock won't be going anywhere IMO. Unless he tries MacKenzie at lcb, we'd be left with three central defenders (not including Devlin for obvious reasons).

Just now, Merkland Red said:

We've not seen enough of him tbh.

Goodwillie was very good but he didn't score enough goals. We played better when he played but couldn't leave out Rooney due to the amount of goals he scored.

Hancock won't be going anywhere IMO. Unless he tries MacKenzie at lcb, we'd be left with three central defenders (not including Devlin for obvious reasons).

Falkirk will be pinning a lot of expectation on Ruth given they only have Keena as their other credible/proven striker. Hope it works out for him; will certainly be keeping track of his progress. 

Unfortunate Hancock might not get out on loan but understandable given the current situation. Was hoping for a loan signing from the Dons but feel it isn't going to come this window or even this season tbh.

5 hours ago, betting competition said:

Wage bill should drop a fair bit with the McInnes dream team departing.