The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

23 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Looking like we are signing Zander Clark

I really don't understand why we are spending money on another keeper when we have a perfectly good keeper in Joe Lewis.

There's plenty of other areas in the team that need addressing long before the goalkeeping department.

Any word on whether Jamie McGrath has turned us down yet?

I like Lewis, but we definitely need a better alternative to him than Woods. Obviously he was dropped earlier in the season when he was on a bad run of form, but you always knew that he would have to go back in sooner or later because Woods fundamentally isn't good enough.

I doubt Clark is coming here to be back up, but would be a nice situation to have him and Lewis giving each other some proper competition. 

5 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

I really don't understand why we are spending money on another keeper when we have a perfectly good keeper in Joe Lewis.

There's plenty of other areas in the team that need addressing long before the goalkeeping department.

Any word on whether Jamie McGrath has turned us down yet?

Scott Burns is now reporting that we're 'hopeful' we can sign McGrath on a precontract. Pretty sure he thought it was nearly done previously.

Lewis has been a very good GK for us, can't deny that.

Having said that, I think age has caught up with him. I understand that GK's can play well into their late 30's. I just feel that Lewis has lost all athleticism since he joined. Doesn't seem as agile as he once was. 

Lastly, as we are the data Dons. Lewis save % is in the late 50's whereas Clark's is in the early 70's. Yes, that could be down to a multiple of factors. One being that we were cut apart too easily in the early stages of the season. However, Lewis at the height of his best was too averaging a save % of 70, particularly in the 2017/18 season.

I'm all for Clark signing. Cherrypicking the best talent from this league is the way to go.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’d have to think Lewis is on the way out if clark is signing. 

I must admit I’ve never been that convinced by clark. Can’t see him being as good as peak joe. 

Never mind “peak Joe”, Clark is nowhere near present Joe who has been excellent since he came back from his couple of games on the bench.

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Never mind “peak Joe”, Clark is nowhere near present Joe who has been excellent since he came back from his couple of games on the bench.

Tend to agree with this. Don’t get looking at a keeper now. There are plenty other areas of the team where the need to strengthen is much more pressing. 

Clark is,a good keeper but it's an area of the team that i don't think is a necessity to strengthen right now. We need to get McGrath tied up first and foremost. We need a replacement for Hedges and we need another striker long before we need a new keeper. Joe might want to go back down south but he's contracted until 2024. Will a team down south give us a fee or will he be willing to walk away from those 2 years? Or are we maybe planning on ditching Gordon Marshall and Joe becomes the new GK coach? Who knows. In all honesty i'm not sure the club knows what it's doing right now.