The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

34 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

So transfers that aren’t personally identified by the manager are scams now?

Better get rid of Mowbray and the scouting team in that case.

He wasn't identified by McInnes or Richardson. The fact he played 45 mins against St Johnstone in the 1st home game after he signed then wasn't seen for virtually the entirety of the remainder of the season is testament to that. If you seriously believe that McInnes would venture so far out of his comfort zone to splash out 800k on Hernandez then not play him then i'm sorry but you are mad. Nothing about that signing suggested it was a McInnes. Nothing. 

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

McLennan ahead of McGinn every day for me.

McGinns legs aren't doing what his head is telling them these days.

McLennan is obviously limited but is quick and can beat a man. Needs a run of games and coached out of the McInnes way of playing out wide.

I previously had this notion that McLennan had all the attributes to be moulded into doing a similar job for us that Boyle managed for Hibs.

He gives the appearance of having developed well physically to go along with his undoubted pace, and definitely had his moments when he looked the part with the Ibrox cup replay goal - and almost single-handedly turning round losing positions at home in games v Livi and St Mirren in relatively recent times.

However, the guy is always injured - and each time we do see him now he seems to have regressed into someone that doesn't even resemble a footballer, with zero correlation between legs and brain.  He's either a lost cause or our coaching/physio team need to work on him on somehow realising the early potential.

Edited by tarapoa

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I previously had this notion that McLennan had all the attributes to be moulded into doing a similar job for us that Boyle managed for Hibs.

He gives the appearance of having developed well physically to go along with his undoubted pace, and definitely had his moments with the Ibrox cup replay goal - and almost single-handedly turning round losing positions at home in games v Livi and St Mirren in relatively recent times.

However, the guy is always injured - and each time we do see him now he seems to have regressed into someone that doesn't even resemble a footballer.  He's either a lost cause or our coaching/physio team need to work order on realising the early potential.

I've said similar, but it won't be with us. Boyle might have still been part-time at Connors age.

I think he can be an asset if he uses his pace to get in behind the defence. Unfortunately he's been coached to get past the full back, cut back and cross in to the box. We've not really had a need for this since Cosgrove left.

He wasn't identified by McInnes or Richardson. The fact he played 45 mins against St Johnstone in the 1st home game after he signed then wasn't seen for virtually the entirety of the remainder of the season is testament to that. If you seriously believe that McInnes would venture so far out of his comfort zone to splash out 800k on Hernandez then not play him then i'm sorry but you are mad. Nothing about that signing suggested it was a McInnes. Nothing. 

I never said he was a McInnes or Richardson signing, he clearly wasn’t. This doesn’t mean it was a scam though. A huge proportion of transfers in world football aren’t sourced by a club’s manager.

I notice the St Johnstone game has been rescheduled for Tuesday 15th.

Given our away form, surely Scottish Cup QF weekend may have made more sense in terms of getting a Saturday fixture?

Edited by tarapoa

21 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Overall its been an indifferent transfer window but not terrible. A few positives.

We have offloaded Samuels, Gurr, McGinn and Longstaff. We signed a 20 year old dutch winger and an American youngster (our first real look at the new recruitment teams signings) with a great deal of potential. Adam Montgomery is only a temporary solution until we can find a decent left back in the summer.

This season is meaningless for us. We aren't going to win the Scottish cup however we can still hope to finish fourth. Traditionally the January transfer window is difficult to operate in. The real recruitment drive will be in the summer and I like Richard Gordon suggested, we will have a totally different looking side come the start of next season.

1/ Correct

2/ We can hope all we like, won't happen. (Especially after we lose 3-1 tonight...)

Edited by Jacksgranda

11 hours ago, bpdon said:

Yup. Agreed. My pants are p1shed. It has been a very poor window when the squad badly needed a rebalance and some different options. We are an injury or two away from being a complete shambles. Surely the club hierarchy recognise that too.

The fixture list doesn't make for comforting reading either. Away to County, away to Livi, Celtic at home followed by two trips to Fir Park. I doubt anyone will be surprised to see us going into March out of the cup and in the bottom 4 or 5.

I would nearly guarantee it.

IMO, that's 5 very winnable points thrown away in the last 2 outings, that would have left us fourth on 34 points. As it is we're sixth on goal difference from Dundee United, and and I fear we will struggle to make top six, which would be a terrible indictment on the current regime.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

IMO, that's 5 very winnable points thrown away in the last 2 outings, that would have left us fourth on 34 points. As it is we're sixth on goal difference from Dundee United, and and I fear we will struggle to make top six, which would be a terrible indictment on the current regime.

We don't need to worry. It's a transition season. Apparently. 

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

So we're transitioning from a top 6 side to a bottom 6 one. Wonderful

Exactly. Too many of our fans can't see it though. Happy to plod along as long as Cormack occasionally makes an appearance saying "I love Rowies" they'll lap it up. Part of the problem. I was actually really looking forward to seeing where the club went under Data Dave. Now i just wish he'd sod off.  

17 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Exactly. Too many of our fans can't see it though. Happy to plod along as long as Cormack occasionally makes an appearance saying "I love Rowies" they'll lap it up. Part of the problem. I was actually really looking forward to seeing where the club went under Data Dave. Now i just wish he'd sod off.  

I don't think he's going to. 

This is a big learning season for Dave. He's getting evidence that his ideas for how to improve things aren't as great as he thought. How he reacts to that evidence will determine how successful we are for the next decade or so. 

I'm hopeful that he will have enough sense to not delude himself and will do positive things. A bit worried that he won't but we'll see. 

Could be 7 considering we should have beaten Rangers too. All while Hearts have had a very tough run of fixtures.

I’ve been trying to look at the bright side under Glass but the team massively underachieving, cannot keep a clean sheet and persevering with dross as part of our “attack”.

On the plus side Besuijen looks a player, but we will be taking backward steps when we lose Ferguson and Ramsay in the summer

For those saying Cormack hasn’t backed Glass - he has. Just unfortunate the probable guts of £10k a week sitting on the bench in Gallagher and Jet

1 minute ago, scottorae said:

Could be 7 considering we should have beaten Rangers too. All while Hearts have had a very tough run of fixtures.

I’ve been trying to look at the bright side under Glass but the team massively underachieving, cannot keep a clean sheet and persevering with dross as part of our “attack”.

On the plus side Besuijen looks a player, but we will be taking backward steps when we lose Ferguson and Ramsay in the summer

For those saying Cormack hasn’t backed Glass - he has. Just unfortunate the probable guts of £10k a week sitting on the bench in Gallagher and Jet

True, but you don't expect to beat Rangers.  With all due respect to St Mirren and Ross County you do expect to beat them, even away from home. Or maybe think you have a better chance of beating them.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

This still remains the biggest problem for the current regime.

For the best part of the last decade, we'd probably have been able to see out the 1-0 lead from last night.

It wouldn't have been pretty, but the chances they'd have got the job done.  We'd have mainly accepted it, but with the usual moans about 'eye-bleeding' and 'entertainment' etc.....

Last night, County had offered little until we scored - then immediately swarmed all over the top us, hit the post and then scored two minutes later.  It was back into a level of frailty against the lower sides in the league that for the most part had been eliminated from AFC.

The performances against the bigger clubs this season have generally been decent - but the problem is even if we're on it there, the chances are it'll be a draw at best.  That is of little use, when we're shedding another two points unnecessarily in games like last night.

Was also interesting to hear Glass state they were in for a striker until late on Monday night - and that Hedges had become an unhappy player due to his agent's agenda.

Edited by tarapoa