The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

What about the season before that one?

Truncated due to Covid, with us due to go to Fir Park where a win would have put us third, having already made it through to a Scottish Cup semi.

If we could get the manager that could blend the necessary consistency with some of the better performances Glass has shown against the bigger sides, we may be on to something.

However, we appear to have lost the bread and butter in the hunt for caviar and I don’t see it changing under this regime.

Livi did what they do - Motherwell will do what they do next week - commit fouls, take it in turn for yellow cards etc, pack their defence and bite & scratch for everything- it requires a level of nous and game intelligence to compete with that, and Glass’ teams been found wanting time and again in this sort of game.
As Cathro and now Maloney/Courts are possibly finding out, our league is maybe not the place for rookies with big ideas.

29 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Not fair to say when we don't know what's going on. Could be something personal and serious. 

He could be a close contact. 

Don't take your rightful anger out on a situation we know nothing of. 

The situation we do know of; Cormacks appointment of Glass hasn't worked, and he needs to rectify this mistake. 

If he didnae have a job wi us, wid he still be working with England? No, cos he was found oot. I dinna ken why he’s been missing on mair than one occasion. I was excited at the his appointment but as a striker, set piece expert and assistant manager, nae convinced in the slightest

46 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Not fair to say when we don't know what's going on. Could be something personal and serious. 

He could be a close contact. 

Don't take your rightful anger out on a situation we know nothing of. 

The situation we do know of; Cormacks appointment of Glass hasn't worked, and he needs to rectify this mistake. 

Worth mentioning, since I think you're a new poster, that the person you're responded too has been demanding Russell be sacked since he was appointed and regularly claims he should be replaced and that would improve anything.

He just simply doesn't like the guy. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning, since I think you're a new poster, that the person you're responded too has been demanding Russell be sacked since he was appointed and regularly claims he should be replaced and that would improve anything.

He just simply doesn't like the guy. 

Dinna think I’ve asked for him tae be sacked, I’ve jist questioned fit value he brings considering oor great failure is scoring goals, his apparent area of expertise. But, aye, I will admit that since the hail drink driving scenario wi his brother and keeping that quiet fae the club, I think he’s a wrang een

54 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Truncated due to Covid, with us due to go to Fir Park where a win would have put us third, having already made it through to a Scottish Cup semi.

If we could get the manager that could blend the necessary consistency with some of the better performances Glass has shown against the bigger sides, we may be on to something.

However, we appear to lost the bread and butter in the hunt for caviar and I don’t see it changing under this regime.

Livi did what they do - Motherwell will do what they do next week - commit fouls, take it in turn for yellow cards etc, pack their defence and bite & scratch for everything- it requires a level of nous and game intelligence to compete with that, and Glass’ teams been found wanting time and again in this sort of game.
As Cathro and now Maloney/Courts are possibly finding out, our league is maybe not the place for rookies with big ideas.

Can't dispute any of the bold but as a fan base we need to move on from Derek McInnes. Whether it's praising or criticising him.

I think one of the main problems is many of our fans believe that having the ability to win a lot of league games to nil and grind out the points is somehow “soul-destroying”.

That’s what gets you up to the table - not bull$hit philosophies that involves a lot of tippy-tappy possession that goes nowhere.
I agree fully, however that works while we produce wins. When we stopped, McInnes ran out of road.

Ultimately I suspect a Goodwin or Jack Ross type will be next, and someone like that is much more suited to Aberdeen than a Glass type sticking to some sort of nonsense philosophy.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Well this is it. I believe the club when the say they interviewed several people for the job and Glass was the best candidate.

I believe he was the best candidate as he was the only one willing to work within that remit.

Hmmm. Not for me. St Mirren fans seem to be very up and down on him.

Not convinced by Jim Goodwin.

Anyone who signs Curtis Main I’m instantly wary of.

Alex Neil seems the obvious choice to me, but I don’t think he’d be interested in coming back to Scotland or to work under the current structure.

What terrifies me is that Neil Lennon is free & available. 
Lennon & Brown…. 
Please no! 

10 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not convinced by Jim Goodwin.

Anyone who signs Curtis Main I’m instantly wary of.

Alex Neil seems the obvious choice to me, but I don’t think he’d be interested in coming back to Scotland or to work under the current structure.

What terrifies me is that Neil Lennon is free & available. 
Lennon & Brown…. 
Please no! 

Alex Neil is just a different version of McInnes IMO.

I genuinely think the structure the club has in place is correct. It's the personnel which is wrong.

Can't dispute any of the bold but as a fan base we need to move on from Derek McInnes. Whether it's praising or criticising him.

Fair enough - but we need a manager that gets it, not a yes man with his heid in the clouds - as much as I liked Glass as a player.

Warts and all, Calderwood and McInnes are the only managers that have delivered the necessary level of league consistency since Willie’s first two seasons.

I just think that needs to be our base level and this away record is an absolute shocker (even the two wins were by lucky goals) - Ross, Goodwin, Neil, Lennon would all be possibles, but for some strange reason I think an option worth trying could be on the current payroll and his name’s Barry Robson.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I genuinely think the structure the club has in place is correct. It's the personnel which is wrong.

Agree with this. Cormack has messed this up in such an important season (looking at the euro qualification paths).

Glass isn’t getting it right and I don’t think the right coaching team was picked, looking at the individuals experiences.

I think Gunn may have also been promoted to a role above his competency. 

Think it’s too early to know the impact of Mowbray. He gets the benefit of doubt for now, based on his arrival

Edited by kent_don
Edit to add Mowbray

20 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Not sure about the first paragraph.

Agree with the 2nd one. Steven Gunn, on looking in from the outside, appears as out of his depth as Glass. 

Who would you pick as Head Coach? 

10 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not sure about the first paragraph.

Agree with the 2nd one. Steven Gunn, on looking in from the outside, appears as out of his depth as Glass. 

Who would you pick as Head Coach? 

I think in all honesty any talk of Alex Neil is really wishful thinking. There is not a hope in hell he will want to work under this regime. IMO, until we actually wake up and realise that the personnel within the structure of the club is totally wrong then nothing will improve. Sacking Glass only means somebody else that will dance to Cormacks tune takes his place. And we'll end up back where we are just now because no self-respecting, experienced manager will do it.