The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would disagree a bit here Aberdeen have on average had on average the 3rd biggest budget and have signed many players off clubs in the league because they can offer more money so those signings shouldn’t really be classified as ‘punts’. Also every club in the league generally lose their better players my team included it’s making sure you get cash for them at the right time and the fraction of that you re-invest is done correctly.

It's still a punt as to whether they'll work here. See Gallagher, Stwewart, Kennedy, Storey etc. We can't pay for players that are guaranteed quality. 

We can still pay more than competitors though so should be less shit

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's still a punt as to whether they'll work here. See Gallagher, Stwewart, Kennedy, Storey etc. We can't pay for players that are guaranteed quality. 

We can still pay more than competitors though so should be less shit

In that respect every signing would deemed a punt everywhere. But if you can sign the supposedly better players from your league and  often use that model it should be deemed less of one compared to other clubs who have to find more obscure players from other leagues. 

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

In that respect every signing would deemed a punt everywhere. But if you can sign the supposedly better players from your league and  often use that model it should be deemed less of one compared to other clubs who have to find more obscure players from other leagues. 

Agree to an extent but bigger clubs have more resources for scouting and coaching to help mitigate some of the risk of a number of signings going wrong at the same time.

Also, the further up the food chain a club is the less likely they are to lose better players simply because there are fewer bigger clubs.  Celtic are unlikely to be outbid by the likes of Blackburn or Wigan like we are. 

I'd be willing to bet that on any measure of performance variability, large clubs vary less than medium clubs (us) who vary less than small clubs. 

The original point was simply that we should expect some bad seasons. I don't think that's particularly controversial. 

Decided not to bother watching the game yesterday, and instead went to the pub with a pal and watched the rugby. Great decision. Only football I watch these days is Aberdeen, and my enjoyment for watching the Dons is waning, so why bother?

8 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Decided not to bother watching the game yesterday, and instead went to the pub with a pal and watched the rugby. Great decision. Only football I watch these days is Aberdeen, and my enjoyment for watching the Dons is waning, so why bother?

Apathy due to getting older perhaps?  I know I got more incensed seeing Tarquin and his jolly mates lining up beers at the front of Murryfield without a care in the world than I did watching the game yesterday.

2 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Apathy due to getting older perhaps?  I know I got more incensed seeing Tarquin and his jolly mates lining up beers at the front of Murryfield without a care in the world than I did watching the game yesterday.

More than likely that's a factor. Football in general just doesn't interest me anymore. It's only my love for the Dons that has kept me going this long, but even that is waning now. At risk of sounding like a da, it's just not the same sport as it was when I was young.

12 hours ago, 72redz said:

The only wye Glass can possibly survive is if we muddle on getting some sporadic results, maybe a competitive performance on Wednesday and squeeze a win next Seterday. But, he must start playing the younger players - get Ojo, Hayes, even Broon on the bench and start building a side aroon Barron, Mackenzie, Ramsay, McRorie, Bates, Besuijen, Ruth, Duncan…

If you think Michael Ruth is the answer up front for the Dons, I’d be asking a different question.