The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Jack Ross is a serial loser and the only thing he's won of note is the Scottish Championship. 

Doesn't impress me. 

St Mirren fans seem to have ideas above their station and it'll be funny as f**k if Goodwin rocks up here. 

It wouldn't bother me tbh. If/when he leaves we'll be compensated, we're currently above you in the league, still in the cup.

Its also just over a month since Goodwin was probably about 2 defeats away from getting the bullet. 

Like every manager, he is replaceable and we could easily end up with someone more tactically astute( not Glass).

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Worth taking in to consideration, but Willie Miller has said that he was led to believe the coaching from Glass was very good. Quite a few players left under McInnes and spoke of how more intensive (better) the coaching was at their new team.

Think it’s pretty clear that glass is a good coach, and in a parallel universe you’d be happy to see him come in as part of a team. 

The challenge is to build a structure that maintains the quality of training and ideas but also solves the several basic failings we were displaying week on week. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Think it’s pretty clear that glass is a good coach, and in a parallel universe you’d be happy to see him come in as part of a team. 

The challenge is to build a structure that maintains the quality of training and ideas but also solves the several basic failings we were displaying week on week. 

Absolutely. That point was more towards the folk who can't understand why we'd get rid of McInnes etc.

I said it the other day, but I genuinely think he'll go on to be a decent manager. Unfortunately he learned his mistakes here. Sometimes you need to go out and dig out a 1-0 win, playing shite rather than trying to play following your philosophy for 90 minutes.

We're really needing an experienced version of Glass tbh. Someone who wants to play good football and nurture youth, but also happy to grind out a shite 1-0 win away from home. 

If Dave really has plans to build the club then you're probably looking at a model where you are hiring a manager every two-three years, after a period of relative success. Let the other guy move on when a bigger club/opportunity arises and appoint a manager from the list of guys you've already earmarked. Otherwise it'll end up going stale.

Of course Goodwin would be interested 
And I’m not against it
But he’d want to take Langfield with him probably and I don’t think I’ve got the stomach for the negativity and bile that would draw from some our our more unhinged fans

The thought of Langfield trying to tell Joe Lewis how to be a better goalkeeper is quite amusing.

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

St Mirren fans seem to have ideas above their station...

:lol:

http://www.reddit.com/r/selfawarewolves

..anyway, as Aberdonians are known as tight b*****ds, it's obvious Cormack will go for someone where he doesn't need to pay compensation. The St Johnstone game may come a bit too quick for a Ross appointment but if he's not installed by the end of the week, then I'll be surprised.

Edited by Ric

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Absolutely. That point was more towards the folk who can't understand why we'd get rid of McInnes etc.

I said it the other day, but I genuinely think he'll go on to be a decent manager. Unfortunately he learned his mistakes here. Sometimes you need to go out and dig out a 1-0 win, playing shite rather than trying to play following your philosophy for 90 minutes.

We're really needing an experienced version of Glass tbh. Someone who wants to play good football and nurture youth, but also happy to grind out a shite 1-0 win away from home. 

If Dave really has plans to build the club then you're probably looking at a model where you are hiring a manager every two-three years, after a period of relative success. Let the other guy move on when a bigger club/opportunity arises and appoint a manager from the list of guys you've already earmarked. Otherwise it'll end up going stale.

I’m less convinced he’ll be a good manager. I think he lacked some media skills and man management. He blamed the players for most of the failings publicly and he absolutely hung ojo out to dry at tannadice. 

Not to say he can’t learn but think it’s more than just tactical naivety. 

Grinding out wins is part of it but I think in too many games the opposition just did the basic stuff better than us. 

I said pretty early on the defence would be what kills us this season and I think it’s proven out. I could have just about coped with us being a blunt attacking force as we learned the new style if we didn’t concede horrendous, simple, basic goals just about every week. 5 clean sheets in 40 or whatever it was is a one way route to getting sacked. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There seems to be a wee pattern emerging among some clubs of an owner making what could be construed as a bit of a vanity appointment (Maloney, Glass, Cathro) based on those individuals coaching abilities.

While most of the clubs have some DoF or whatever, the owners seem to have had a big say in each of these and I reckon that Ron G, Dave C and Anne Budge might not be the most experienced when it comes to making managerial appointments.

It is as much of a worry for us right now as it was for you guys with SG.

I would suggest that all 3 of those guys would have been better served - as you say - as part of a team with a more mature head as "manager".

There are loads of managers that are (allegedly) shite training ground coaches..............but if they get a good coaching team everyone assumes they are fantastic at all parts of the game.

Now that I’ve had a bit of thinking time, the person I’d like is Kjetil Knutsen.

Do I think he’d be interested? Almost certainly not. But you can only ask the question.

My gut tells me Jack Ross will get it. A serial bottler of big games at Hibs. 
At Sunderland & Hibs, the number of times they went 1-0 up & tried to game manage (& end up not winning) was high.

He’d be a McInnes clone IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

There seems to be a wee pattern emerging among some clubs of an owner making what could be construed as a bit of a vanity appointment (Maloney, Glass, Cathro) based on those individuals coaching abilities.

While most of the clubs have some DoF or whatever, the owners seem to have had a big say in each of these and I reckon that Ron G, Dave C and Anne Budge might not be the most experienced when it comes to making managerial appointments.

I would suggest that all 3 of those guys would have been better served - as you say - as part of a team with a more mature head as "manager".

There are loads of managers that are (allegedly) shite training ground coaches..............but if they get a good coaching team everyone assumes they are fantastic at all parts of the game.

Good post. 
Massive difference between being a good Head Coach & a good manager.

Its a bygone era but Fergie was a hopeless coach, the Dons players said so. Knox did the coaching bit.

There will be more recent examples. From what I’ve heard, Michael Beale did the grunt work at SEVCO, Gerrard just man managed basically. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Good post. 
Massive difference between being a good Head Coach & a good manager.

Its a bygone era but Fergie was a hopeless coach, the Dons players said so. Knox did the coaching bit.

There will be more recent examples. From what I’ve heard, Michael Beale did the grunt work at SEVCO, Gerrard just man managed basically. 

Fergie also constantly changed his assistant manager when things were getting stale.

37 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

It’s an interesting debate (if you’re a sad c**t like most on this forum) as to what the role of a manager really is, or what forms the most important parts.

It’s getting smaller all the time to the point that the manager is really there to keep everyone happy, hold it all together, be a leader/ambassador and act as a link between the board and the football operation. His role in the technical football bits appears to be getting smaller and smaller. 

1 hour ago, TheDon99 said:

To be fair, about 50% of the players Jack Ross tried to sign at Hibs ended up at Aberdeen so that could make it a lot easier on him...

If he arrived maybe they would want to leave...

The sheep need to ask themselves was Glass the sacrificial lamb or is it the next guy?
Ronny Deila built the hoose that got Rodgers the success to live in it, did Glass do the same or is it the next guy?
To build success you need the contingency plan first  

Edited by wastecoatwilly

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

It wouldn't bother me tbh. If/when he leaves we'll be compensated, we're currently above you in the league, still in the cup.

Its also just over a month since Goodwin was probably about 2 defeats away from getting the bullet. 

Like every manager, he is replaceable and we could easily end up with someone more tactically astute( not Glass).

Or not, as we discovered.

If you're going to make such significant changes as Aberdeen did in getting shot of Mcinnes,  you need to allow time for the new project to come to fruition,  not start calling for another change!

Expectations are way overboard,   Aberdeen were punching well above their weight for years. 

2 hours ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Jack Ross is a serial loser and the only thing he's won of note is the Scottish Championship. 

Doesn't impress me. 

St Mirren fans seem to have ideas above their station and it'll be funny as f**k if Goodwin rocks up here. 

We know our place mate. Good players and managers won't be at our club long term we are part of the food chain as you are also to a lesser extent.  Its a case of enjoying the good times which thankfully are happening under fan ownership.  

46 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Now that I’ve had a bit of thinking time, the person I’d like is Kjetil Knutsen.

Do I think he’d be interested? Almost certainly not. But you can only ask the question.

I like the sound of this option too.  Other than the fact the guy's stock is probably way beyond our reach, I suppose the record of people doing well in Nordic football then replicating it in the UK is mixed.   Graham Potter is maybe a good recent example that it can work though.

What Knutsen achieved has been phenomenal, but it does appear there has been a mass exodus at Bodø with their season ending at the end of 2021. 

Could a famous old club like ours still be deemed a 'stepping stone' in a career such as this?  

~~~~

On the matter of Glass being a good coach. I think there is clearly some truth in this.

Maybe they were overcoached to an extent. In trying to implement the possession-based philosophy, there were too many errors and a real softness when it came to basic defending.   Book 1 Page 1 had been ripped out of the Glass coaching manual...

Edited by tarapoa