The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. I don't know how to word this without the inevitable onslaught, but I think Aberdeen is the right level for him just now to learn the game.

A 40+ game season at Aberdeen, with Goodwin likely helping him improve defensively, feels like its would be better than a season of U23 football for Liverpool to me.

Probably yes but he’d be a very brave man to reject when Liverpool make a move. Realistically he can’t turn it down. 

A good move for all parties may be a bit and loan back but doesn’t sound like that’s on the cards. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. I don't know how to word this without the inevitable onslaught, but I think Aberdeen is the right level for him just now to learn the game.

A 40+ game season at Aberdeen, with Goodwin likely helping him improve defensively, feels like its would be better than a season of U23 football for Liverpool to me.

He’s undoubtedly moving too soon, but the main problem is how the player and his family are feeling about this. Once they hear that a team like Liverpool are involved you would imagine that both Calvin Ramsay and his family will be desperate for him to go there. This opportunity to go to a club as big as Liverpool may never come to him again, and no form of logic will dissuade them from that, you would think.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Probably yes but he’d be a very brave man to reject when Liverpool make a move. Realistically he can’t turn it down. 

A good move for all parties may be a bit and loan back but doesn’t sound like that’s on the cards. 

Aye, it'll be life changing money for him most likely, and turning down a club of that size is always daft when an injury can hit at any point.

Be interesting to see what they do with him, as I'm not even sure he's ready for the Championship down there?

It would be derided as an awful move but a loan to a top end League One side (Derby?) would be the best for me. Think you're generally better going below your level down there and standing out, otherwise you can get lost.

He's not saying no to Liverpool.

Even something like 10apps and 10 unused sub games would be a result for him this season.

This move also wins him his next move if it all goes wrong eg he'll get an English Championship gig 

Obviously if Liverpool come calling they he or Aberdeen won’t say no. A huge gamble but the price/exposure could go up if he stays a season though and gets international recognition and cements a place. As it stands at club level Ralston won’t get a game ahead of Juranovic, Patterson can’t get a game ahead of bloody Jonjo Kenny and Sod is a bit shit really. An inform Ramsay could make that his own by almost almost default if the rest can’t get a game. Probably all irrelevant now though if the Liverpool stuff looks to be true.

Edited by gannonball

19 minutes ago, d31 said:

He's not saying no to Liverpool.

Even something like 10apps and 10 unused sub games would be a result for him this season.

This move also wins him his next move if it all goes wrong eg he'll get an English Championship gig 

He won't get near their line up this season, outwith the League Cup, I'd have thought.

I would've advised Ramsay to say no. He wouldn't be saying no to Liverpool first team, he's saying no to Liverpool's under-23s or whatever it is.

His game needs so much development, defensively, positionally, and also his stamina and enthusiasm has been questionable on the sparse evidence we have so far.

I don't think a Michael Hector type loan career will do him good, and doesn't exactly endear you to the loan team's support if things go through a sticky spell.

I think Italy was the best move for him both personally and to develop his game especially the defensive aspects. However, I would also think even Leeds would've had more fruitful possibilities than Liverpool.

He's basically got a season to somehow impress in the under-23s otherwise they'll look elsewhere and Ramsey will quickly become a yesterday's man.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

It tends to just be on the profit of a sale. That said, a clever loan move from Liverpool to a promotion-chasing Championship club can end up bearing fruit if they're promoted and want to make the player permanent. 

Ramsay is seemingly being signed to be the backup right-back, but you'd imagine that Gomez will come in where necessary for the majority/all of Premier League matches with Ramsay playing in some cup games. Probably mostly gonna be PL2 football for him this season. 

Yip, agreed.

There’s probably more potential for add ons & sell ons if you go down the Scott McKenna route. A big Championship club with EPL aspirations. 

We’ve already bagged an alleged £1m for Forest’s promotion.

Down there, average players get transferred for £15m regularly. Even if Forest are relegated but he does well, someone like a Southampton or a Brentford could buy him for that & there’s another £3m in the kitty. 

Guest ApathyAFC
11 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Not often I agree with you but I feel that he is moving too soon also.

Were a selling club under dodgy dave. Basically we're Dundee Utd from 2010 now. Thanks dave you w**k 😜

Do folk really think moving to Liverpool is a bad move? He's a cracking prospect who's a bit raw and he'll be training with world class players every day. He'll be looked after well and will probably get a handful of League cup games.

It's a great move in terms of development, a loan deal the following season may well be on the cards.

Also, if he proves he can defend he'll be a better option than Trent who consistently gets caught out of position/loses his man.

6 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Do folk really think moving to Liverpool is a bad move? He's a cracking prospect who's a bit raw and he'll be training with world class players every day. He'll be looked after well and will probably get a handful of League cup games.

It's a great move in terms of development, a loan deal the following season may well be on the cards.

Also, if he proves he can defend he'll be a better option than Trent who consistently gets caught out of position/loses his man.

Ramsay is good but he's never going to displace Alexander-Arnold.

40 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Come on now. I love to have a go at TAA's defending but he's a world class footballer in the opposing half. They've built their team around his strengths.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I would've advised Ramsay to say no. He wouldn't be saying no to Liverpool first team, he's saying no to Liverpool's under-23s or whatever it is.

He's basically got a season to somehow impress in the under-23s otherwise they'll look elsewhere and Ramsey will quickly become a yesterday's man.

The standard of that U23 league seems to be pretty poor. Quite a few teams up here have had “the next big thing” sent here and they’ve done f**k all. QP had Luis Longstaff from Liverpool this season and the guy was rotten. We also had *shudders* Connor McBride from Blackburn who was genuinely one of the worst players I’ve seen play for us.