The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Good statement from Cormack and no need to have 3 guesses where the stumbling block is coming from.

I really hope the club wins some trophies and has some European runs under Dave C, he gets a lot of slagging but he has some great ideas and has the right attitude.

Just now, big al said:

Good statement from Cormack and no need to have 3 guesses where the stumbling block is coming from.

I really hope the club wins some trophies and has some European runs under Dave C, he gets a lot of slagging but he has some great ideas and has the right attitude.

It's a terrible statement and he's quite rightly getting rinsed for it. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He says we sell 48 games to sky. That is a lie. Sky have exclusive rights to all games. 

Aye, without discussing the merits of his proposals, Grant Russell has pointed out a few issues with Dave’s statement.

Edited by AJF

He says we sell 48 games to sky. That is a lie. Sky have exclusive rights to all games. 

Must be changing then as via play showed interest in taking a package of games which is the reason sky want to add on an extra 10- 20 games to take it to 80 to prevent Scottish football ending up on another platform …. Maybe spfl have changed think a side to this story is telling porkies just to find out which one have no doubt it was rangers who leaked the deal to the papers

The price per game argument is pointless. You could sell the four cheeks games for £5million each and have an amazing price per game but your clubs are still taking home less money than many of their European counterparts.

That being said, given that the current deal is around £25mil p/yr, if we’re being offered £38mil with the option of 5 ppv games each, we should definitely take it.

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can't see much wrong with what he's saying to be honest.

It's more detail than we usually get, so thats positive in itself. 

I'd like us to be able to get more for tv rights, but we're in the UK market and the third most marketable league in that market. 

I don’t believe there’s a massive tv deal waiting for us out there either, I just don’t appreciate him fiddling numbers to make a bad faith argument. 

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t believe there’s a massive tv deal waiting for us out there either, I just don’t appreciate him fiddling numbers to make a bad faith argument. 

I guess that's subjective. The figures aren't wrong or made up. There's a bit of an apples and oranges problem in comparing internationally and he's using one view of it to make a point. 

What that journo guy is saying isn't correct either. The league hasn't sold sky rights to broadcast all the games. They've sold rights to broadcast any 48 and sold an undertaking that they won't sell games to any other broadcaster. 

If Sky only want 48 games, the question is whether the amount they pay for exclusivity (over and above the rights to first pick of the 48) plus the amount we saveby not cannibalising other income streams is more than what other broadcasters would pay to show them. If we belive that Netherlands  or Belgium is the comparable, then we're probably falling short. If we believe it's Austria or Denmark then the new deal seems right. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country

I'd say he's guilty of oversimplification rather than hoodwinking. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I guess that's subjective. The figures aren't wrong or made up. There's a bit of an apples and oranges problem in comparing internationally and he's using one view of it to make a point. 

What that journo guy is saying isn't correct either. The league hasn't sold sky rights to broadcast all the games. They've sold rights to broadcast any 48 and sold an undertaking that they won't sell games to any other broadcaster. 

If Sky only want 48 games, the question is whether the amount they pay for exclusivity (over and above the rights to first pick of the 48) plus the amount we saveby not cannibalising other income streams is more than what other broadcasters would pay to show them. If we belive that Netherlands  or Belgium is the comparable, then we're probably falling short. If we believe it's Austria or Denmark then the new deal seems right. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country

I'd say he's guilty of oversimplification rather than hoodwinking. 

He has absolutely framed the figures to suit a narrative.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

No argument there.

He's trying to get support for the deal he wants everyone to sign so he's making an argument in support of that deal. I don't think he's pretending to provide a dispassionate analysis including all the pros and cons. It's a sales job. And it's way less disingenuous than any figures i presented going door to door for N power. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

No argument there.

He's trying to get support for the deal he wants everyone to sign so he's making an argument in support of that deal. I don't think he's pretending to provide a dispassionate analysis including all the pros and cons. It's a sales job. And it's way less disingenuous than any figures i presented going door to door for N power. 

Well if that’s how he wants to play it and he wants to act like a second hand car salesman then I’ll act like a consumer. 

A football club like ours relies on the good faith of its fan base, that’s why people buy season tickets when you’re literally banned from the stadium or plough in a monthly direct debit without knowing where it truly goes. 

the rest of the statement is pish too by the way. We don’t need to go out to tender to know it’s the best deal? Seriously? 

Also at no point is the most pertinent point to fans noted - the quality of the deal aside from monetary value. Sky sports hold Scottish football in contempt and their coverage doesn’t even try and hide it. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well if that’s how he wants to play it and he wants to act like a second hand car salesman then I’ll act like a consumer. 

A football club like ours relies on the good faith of its fan base, that’s why people buy season tickets when you’re literally banned from the stadium or plough in a monthly direct debit without knowing where it truly goes. 

the rest of the statement is pish too by the way. We don’t need to go out to tender to know it’s the best deal? Seriously? 

Also at no point is the most pertinent point to fans noted - the quality of the deal aside from monetary value. Sky sports hold Scottish football in contempt and their coverage doesn’t even try and hide it. 

Not sure what going to tender is going to acheive when the only realistic competition has already said they're not interested and that only leaves premier, who are presumably in regular contact with the organisation for their cup games. 

If all the options are shit, then your best option is still going to be shit. As sky is and will be. 

I think the sub plot here is likely to be a certain club from the dark side wanting to break away from a central, whole league, deal. If that is right, individual deals might just about benefit us but would be a disaster for the league. I think that's a far more likely alternative outcome of rejecting this deal than the league getting a better deal. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I don't see much wrong with what he's said. I know that folk, particularly some Aberdeen fans, like giving Davie a good kicking, but I feel that he has represented what actually happens in a more accurate and fairer light than the Stewart Robertson statement.