The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

39 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I notice they've said they've turned down the invitation to have a B team without strictly saying they'll vote against the proposal itself.

Hopefully I'm being overly cynical and they'll vote against it, but the statement itself should be a good step for other clubs speaking out to bin it at the very least.

I was thinking the undertone was maybe we'll maybe vote for it if we get what we want; ability to put half a dozen players out on loan to one club higher up the leagues

3 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I notice they've said they've turned down the invitation to have a B team without strictly saying they'll vote against the proposal itself.

Hopefully I'm being overly cynical and they'll vote against it, but the statement itself should be a good step for other clubs speaking out to bin it at the very least.

3 hours ago, d31 said:

I was thinking the undertone was maybe we'll maybe vote for it if we get what we want; ability to put half a dozen players out on loan to one club higher up the leagues

The only mention I’ve seen of a vote being planned for this was in the same article as the one that said we’d signed up. That also said it had majority support. 

One of those three things has been shown to be false.

It sounds incredibly unlikely that the majority of members who’d be shunted down by this shit would vote for it. Also sounds unlikely that enough clubs would declare one way or the other in advance for that to be a sure thing.

If I was a gambler, I’d put my money on the rumoured imminent vote on this being a figment of someone’s imagination too.

Surely restarting a reserve league is a better idea? It doesn’t block teams transitioning up or down the pyramid. It also allows fringe players to stay match fit. I think this is a big factor in how inconsistent teams are in the league. If you get a few injuries then players get thrown in from a standing start. 

15 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Surely restarting a reserve league is a better idea? It doesn’t block teams transitioning up or down the pyramid. It also allows fringe players to stay match fit. I think this is a big factor in how inconsistent teams are in the league. If you get a few injuries then players get thrown in from a standing start. 

There's already a Reserve League.

https://spfl.co.uk/league/rl1/table

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

The only mention I’ve seen of a vote being planned for this was in the same article as the one that said we’d signed up. That also said it had majority support. 

One of those three things has been shown to be false.

It sounds incredibly unlikely that the majority of members who’d be shunted down by this shit would vote for it. Also sounds unlikely that enough clubs would declare one way or the other in advance for that to be a sure thing.

If I was a gambler, I’d put my money on the rumoured imminent vote on this being a figment of someone’s imagination too.

SFA AGM Resolution 7 on June 6th 2023.

Not so much a figment of someone's imagination, but a collective delusion shared by the blazers on the working group that think it is in the best interests of Scottish football.

Already had numerous clubs already say they will vote against it. Surprisingly enough from the leagues below about to be shafted. Not sure if any SPFL club has come out against yet. Even Aberdeen's statement doesn't explicitly state voted against.

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That would be a huge boost. I’ve not been his biggest fan but he’s been a big miss. Provides a lot more balance there than Coulson.

He would almost certainly have put up a better showing against Youan.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

SFA AGM Resolution 7 on June 6th 2023.

Not so much a figment of someone's imagination, but a collective delusion shared by the blazers on the working group that think it is in the best interests of Scottish football.

Already had numerous clubs already say they will vote against it. Surprisingly enough from the leagues below about to be shafted. Not sure if any SPFL club has come out against yet. Even Aberdeen's statement doesn't explicitly state voted against.

That’s me told, although clearly the vote “today” in the original report was a load of shit (although the second hand report I’ve seen says it was an spfl vote too).

On which note, as far as I understand, the SFA can authorise a new competition, but can it make the spfl admit the winners or the highland or lowland league admit its losers? I’d guess the latter would be less likely to vote for it? It would be hilarious if the spfl and sfa wanted it to go ahead and they couldn’t get enough teams to join.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That’s me told, although clearly the vote “today” in the original report was a load of shit (although the second hand report I’ve seen says it was an spfl vote too).

On which note, as far as I understand, the SFA can authorise a new competition, but can it make the spfl admit the winners or the highland or lowland league admit its losers? I’d guess the latter would be less likely to vote for it? It would be hilarious if the spfl and sfa wanted it to go ahead and they couldn’t get enough teams to join.

The SFA and SPFL (board level) if they get the 50%+1 will probably treat it as a mandate to push it through. There's no doubt stalling tactics that could happen, but the focus on reconstruction talks would all be centred on the idea of a Conference League would happen.

A bit like how the Lowland League was created. A pyramid was agreed at the 2011 SFA AGM, but the working idea was two ten team Highland / Lowland divisions. Highland League fought to stay intact. Lowland ended up as 16.

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Apparently Ross McCrorie should be back for Saturday.

That would be a big boost. Along with Duk being patched up would give us a great chance of a result

Looks like McCrorie to Bristol City is a done deal. 2 million apparently with The Rangers receiving a percentage of that. Norwich and West From were both interested in him. 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/ross-mccrorie-aberdeen-transfer-exit-26926105

Personally I don't think Nicky Devlin is a good enough replacement for McCrorie. Decent backup and an upgrade of Richardson but we really need to source a better alternative.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Looks like McCrorie to Bristol City is a done deal. 2 million apparently with The Rangers receiving a percentage of that. Norwich and West From were both interested in him. 

Bristol is a city more renowned for it's groundbreaking and innovative chart for categorising jobbies than it is known for it's football clubs.

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/ross-mccrorie-aberdeen-transfer-exit-26926105

Personally I don't think Nicky Devlin is a good enough replacement for McCrorie. Decent backup and an upgrade of Richardson but we really need to source a better alternative.

Agree.

Think it’s a poor deal negotiated by (presumably) the travel agent Gunn? 

The fee includes add ons if the P&J is to be believed? 
And a chunk goes to the vermin.

Devlin is also very average & not good enough 

14 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Agree.

Think it’s a poor deal negotiated by (presumably) the travel agent Gunn? 

The fee includes add ons if the P&J is to be believed? 
And a chunk goes to the vermin.

Devlin is also very average & not good enough 

£2million for McCrorie is good business for us imo. Going above that, you’re looking at the kind of figures that Ferguson, Ramsay and McKenna went for and I don’t think he’s shown the quality or potential that they did for us. Considering we brought him in essentially in exchange for Scott Wr*ght, we’ve done pretty well.

I’m not convinced Devlin is the answer as a first choice replacement though. Surely Mowbray can identify another Eastern European gem for a couple hundred grand?

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

£2million for McCrorie is good business for us imo. Going above that, you’re looking at the kind of figures that Ferguson, Ramsay and McKenna went for and I don’t think he’s shown the quality or potential that they did for us. Considering we brought him in essentially in exchange for Scott Wr*ght, we’ve done pretty well.

I’m not convinced Devlin is the answer as a first choice replacement though. Surely Mowbray can identify another Eastern European gem for a couple hundred grand?

It’s not £2m though.

The £2m includes add ons that might not be achieved.

It might be nearer £1.5m? A chunk of that goes to “them”. 
That leaves us with not much more than £1m, for a regular, who’s 25 & approaching his peak, who’s got 3 years left on his contract.

I think Gunn has negotiated a poor deal here. 

3 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s not £2m though.

The £2m includes add ons that might not be achieved.

It might be nearer £1.5m? A chunk of that goes to “them”. 
That leaves us with not much more than £1m, for a regular, who’s 25 & approaching his peak, who’s got 3 years left on his contract.

I think Gunn has negotiated a poor deal here. 

Bristol City won’t necessarily pay more just because there was a sell on clause in the contract. We might be faced with the same issue if and when Duk leaves.

Sad to see him go even though he was generally a 6/10 performer for most of his time here. As Lubo says, we weren’t going to get much more given the fee for Ferguson (a far better player).

Edited by O_Kahn