The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not sure I’m at full optimism yet. I think we need a few more before I can be really confident. We’re still light in some key areas and predominantly we’re just getting the gang back together. A good start but the team that finished the season still had some key flaws. 

No idea if Williams is an upgrade on pollock and our new Slovenian is anyone’s guess. 

I’ll get more excited as the season approaches…maybe. 

@Jacksgranda successor in waiting.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not sure I’m at full optimism yet. I think we need a few more before I can be really confident. We’re still light in some key areas and predominantly we’re just getting the gang back together. A good start but the team that finished the season still had some key flaws. 

No idea if Williams is an upgrade on pollock and our new Slovenian is anyone’s guess. 

I’ll get more excited as the season approaches…maybe. 

I’m with you. Looks like the chosen midfield three will be Shinnie, Ramadani and Clarkson. They did fine at times last season but were also often ripped apart, particularly away from home, early days in the window so far though 

7 minutes ago, starryfish said:

I’m with you. Looks like the chosen midfield three will be Shinnie, Ramadani and Clarkson. They did fine at times last season but were also often ripped apart, particularly away from home, early days in the window so far though 

Actually I think the midfield 3 is very good for this level, it’s the depth behind it that got badly exposed during shinnie’s lengthy suspension towards the end of the season. 

I think it’s also yet to be seen if Nicky devlin is an adequate replacement for mccrorie up the right hand side, again somewhere we got exposed during his injury. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Actually I think the midfield 3 is very good for this level, it’s the depth behind it that got badly exposed during shinnie’s lengthy suspension towards the end of the season. 

I think it’s also yet to be seen if Nicky devlin is an adequate replacement for mccrorie up the right hand side, again somewhere we got exposed during his injury. 

I agree to an extent although that trio all started matches at Easter Road, Tynecastle and Parkhead which saw us lose 16 goals and score none.

McCrorie for me is a decent player. Good at a lot of things but not outstanding at anything. I’m hoping Devlin can come in and create more goals as output from McCrorie or Richardson last season from a creating goals point of view last season was pretty non existent.

We're still a centre back and a left wing back off a starting eleven and a couple of centre backs and squad midfielders off a reasonable squad. 

Hopefully we're not relying on this Williams boy as a starter. I'd also prefer if Devlin wasn't the main rwb but it looks like he will be. 

Scales would be a good start. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This was posted and mentioned elsewhere. Both Clarkson and Williams posing as part of the Liverpool first team squad. Both now with us. Amazing.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 1.51.05 AM.png

Wonder if any of the rest would want to join?

There’s a couple there with experience of playing in Scotland who could be good additions.

Current Squad:

GK: Roos/Lewis

LB: Hayes/McKenzie (can also play LCB)

RB: Devlin/Richardson/Ngwenga

LCB: 

RCB: MacDonald/Williams/Stewart/Milne

CM: Shinnie/Ramadani/Clarkson/Barron/Polvara

W: Morris/Duncan/Besuijen

ST: Duk/Miovski/Sokler/Bavidge

Unrealistic but I'd like to see:

A new backup goalie, a left sided centre back (Scales), a new centre back, a new right back to compete with Devlin, a new Left back - key signing for me, 2x flair players who can play on the wing/attacking mid. Connor Barron to leave his current agent, sign a new contract and earn himself a move to a bigger club.

Out: Stewart and Lewis.

Undecided: Richardson, Morris and Polvara. Possibly see what they can do under Robson. 

Template unashamedly stolen from @Tommy Tappin. Thank you sir.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that Shinnie & Clarkson are back at Pittodrie, but one of the fundamental issues in "bigger" games last season was our utterly woeful ball-retention, particularly in transitions, and I'm not sure that's going to improve a great deal if we're going with the same midfield trio again this season. Shinnie and Ramadani might be decent ball-winners, but their passing accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

However, the whole team needs to do better in possession, not just the midfield, and hopefully we're looking to bring in players with a bit more technical ability than some of those that have departed. Williams might be an upgrade on Pollock in that respect, but could be weaker defensively, and Sokler might be more suited to coming short and holding the ball than either Miovski in games where we might expect to have less of the ball (particularly away in Europe).

As has been said above, we probably need at least 1 more option in every area of the team, but another central defender (even assuming Scales will be back), a left-sided wing back, plus another creative midfielder should be priorities

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/lewis-ferguson-napoli-transfer-target-30350139

Lewis Ferguson a Napoli transfer 'target' as Serie A champions eye £15m move that could land Aberdeen huge windfall

Lewis Ferguson has been lined up for a mega £15 million move to Italian champions Napoli. And that could land former club Aberdeen a chunky windfall due to their sell-on fee negotiated with Bologna for the Scotland star.

giphy.gif

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/peter-leven-set-aberdeen-appointment-30350464

Aberdeen boss Barry Robson is set to add Peter Leven to his backroom staff. Robson wants to bring in the highly-respected coach to replace Liam Fox, who stepped down for family reasons at the end of the season. Leven has a wealth of experience as assistant manager at Kilmarnock, Dynamo Brest and Orenburg.

48 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Current Squad:

GK: Roos/Lewis

LB: Hayes/McKenzie (can also play LCB)

RB: Devlin/Richardson/Ngwenga

LCB: 

RCB: MacDonald/Williams/Stewart/Milne

CM: Shinnie/Ramadani/Clarkson/Barron/Polvara

W: Morris/Duncan/Besuijen

ST: Duk/Miovski/Sokler/Bavidge

Unrealistic but I'd like to see:

A new backup goalie, a left sided centre back (Scales), a new centre back, a new right back to compete with Devlin, a new Left back - key signing for me, 2x flair players who can play on the wing/attacking mid. Connor Barron to leave his current agent, sign a new contract and earn himself a move to a bigger club.

Out: Stewart and Lewis.

Undecided: Richardson, Morris and Polvara. Possibly see what they can do under Robson. 

Template unashamedly stolen from @Tommy Tappin. Thank you sir.

Lewis will be out and replaced.

Stewart will be out and replaced with a left footer.

Need a left back as first pick. Hayes and Mackenzie as backup. Ngwenya is a left back btw.

We need, ideally, a first pick attacker/creater that could be central or wing.

It'll be interesting to see what formations are used in pre season

35 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/lewis-ferguson-napoli-transfer-target-30350139

Lewis Ferguson a Napoli transfer 'target' as Serie A champions eye £15m move that could land Aberdeen huge windfall

Lewis Ferguson has been lined up for a mega £15 million move to Italian champions Napoli. And that could land former club Aberdeen a chunky windfall due to their sell-on fee negotiated with Bologna for the Scotland star.

giphy.gif

And still the **** on Follow Follow will be spouting off about how he wasn't good enough for him as the reason he didn't move there

7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I see Minijc is teasing Josh Ginnelly has been offered a contract. Can't see it myself.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 5.11.37 AM.png

Can't see it, not certain I'd want him to be honest, but almost worth it for the seethe it would cause them by being put in their place