The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that most folk are blaming the board for bringing in Warnock, which ended up f*ck*ng up our European hopes for next season. I’m sure that he interviewed well, probably lied a fair bit during these interviews, and when he was given the job I was 100% behind him and thought it was a decent appointment. Right up until his first, second or third interview when we all saw what a nightmare he was going to be. Some people saw it coming before it happened, but not me. Even in hindsight, I can see why he was appointed.

The board definitely need to take responsibility. Any serious board would. If they are sitting there saying ‘well he told he us he was up for it in the interview!’ I’d be very worried. They need to take it on the chin. 

I saw the logic of appointing him, on the provision he was up for it and taking the job for the right reasons. We had no way of knowing that, the board had the chance to do some proper due diligence. If we could see from the first press conference that it didn’t feel right then I’d be willing to bet there were plenty clues in the interview process. 

46 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that most folk are blaming the board for bringing in Warnock, which ended up f*ck*ng up our European hopes for next season. I’m sure that he interviewed well, probably lied a fair bit during these interviews, and when he was given the job I was 100% behind him and thought it was a decent appointment. Right up until his first, second or third interview when we all saw what a nightmare he was going to be. Some people saw it coming before it happened, but not me. Even in hindsight, I can see why he was appointed.

No hindsight for me on this one as this was the day before the Warnock appointment - but I could equally bring up very sugary positive messages about Goodwin and Robson before they were confirmed  !

image.thumb.png.b76d2a00b2cd0f4769f11bf688958148.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them stupid or hopelessly deluded. We played hard games against good teams with half a team missing. How would Aberdeen do against Fiorentina with half a team missing?

Anyway, we'll get another shot at it next year.

Enjoy the League Cup groups.

Hearts goal difference was -10 in the group and ours was level pegging.  Stats, miniskirts etc......but it does give an indication of a series of closer, competitive matches.  

The calibre of opponent was similar in terms of the two good sides, but you had a Latvian side in your group.  We have recently faced a couple of sides from that nation winning 12-0 on agg over four matches. Us drawing twice with HJK wasn't too clever either, but generally they are a fairly established side who were seeded ahead of us.

When I was in Thessaloniki watching us put in a credible performance against PAOK, the Greeks were all asking who this pub team from Scotland they faced in the play-off round were !

As stated, you get another go at the groups next year, and the positive is, you can hardly do much worse.

Edited by tarapoa

I would never say that I wouldn’t want to qualify for the European groups but our squad was nowhere near ready for it this season and it definitely had a detrimental effect on our league campaign. We need a few years of solid recruitment and stability at the club before we can realistically compete in 4 competitions. 

The cynic in me thinks the board were quite happy to go in to this season’s campaign undercooked because the guaranteed European cash was an unexpected bonus from our finish to last season. 

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

A sad attempt at misrepresentation. As well you know.

Anyway, this has gone on long enough. You lads are having a hard time, I get it.

League Cup draw must be soon. I hope you get some good trips.

You might be able to advise us on some of the lower league grounds from your various seasons in the lower leagues. Look forward to your input, as you seem to have plenty to say regarding AFC. 

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Hearts goal difference was -10 in the group and ours was level pegging.  Stats, miniskirts etc......but it does give an indication of a series of closer, competitive matches.  

The calibre of opponent was similar in terms of the two good sides, but you had a Latvian side in your group.  We have recently faced a couple of sides from that nation winning 12-0 on agg over four matches. Us drawing twice with HJK wasn't too clever either, but generally they are a fairly established side who were seeded ahead of us.

When I was in Thessaloniki watching us put in a credible performance against PAOK, the Greeks were all asking who this pub team from Scotland they faced in the play-off round were !

As stated, you get another go at the groups next year, and the positive is, you can hardly do much worse.

Hertz and europe go together like bacon and custard 

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them stupid or hopelessly deluded. We played hard games against good teams with half a team missing. How would Aberdeen do against Fiorentina with half a team missing?

Anyway, we'll get another shot at it next year.

Enjoy the League Cup groups.

How much of the Hearts team was missing when they got pumped by PAOK?

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He won't win, but nice to see some recognition for Barron nevertheless. He has arguably been our best player in 2024 IMO.

Agreed. Few WhatsApp group messages seem genuinely perplexed that he’s in with a shout. Strange takes. 

41 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He won't win, but nice to see some recognition for Barron nevertheless. He has arguably been our best player in 2024 IMO.

Very disappointing that he’s on his way out. Last few games he’s been superb. Hopefully he goes continental and not down south (or worse) for his own development. 

Good list as well.

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Very disappointing that he’s on his way out. Last few games he’s been superb. Hopefully he goes continental and not down south (or worse) for his own development. 

Good list as well.

That's an understatement, and leaves you questioning the point of the club spending years developing players if they can leave on a free or at best a nominal value.

It's even worse when they are born or raised AB postcoders - and so many seem to have left in those circumstances in recent times.

Not sure exactly what happened here, but feels like there's been wrongs from club, player and agent that could easily have been put right.

If you believe the rumours, he's paid peanuts and was offered little more to extend his deal.  That's just bad business for someone that was always likely to have sell-on value.

6 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

That's an understatement, and leaves you questioning the point of the club spending years developing players if they can leave on a free or at best a nominal value.

It's even worse when they are born or raised AB postcoders - and so many seem to have left in those circumstances in recent times.

Not sure exactly what happened here, but feels like there's been wrongs from club, player and agent that could easily have been put right.

If you believe the rumours, he's paid peanuts and was offered little more to extend his deal.  That's just bad business for someone that was always likely to have sell-on value.

Not sure I believe those rumours but have no real reason to doubt them.  

We can’t compete with the OF, EPL squad wages or the English Championship on wages. We can on “pathway” and opportunity to play first team football. My hunch is that that’s where we needed to do more with Barron. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed. Few WhatsApp group messages seem genuinely perplexed that he’s in with a shout. Strange takes. 

Obviously it's different to WhatsApp, but I do wonder at times what young players like Barron must think when they read through some of the nonsense that gets written about him by our fans on social media, often by folk old enough to be his dad. I know it happens at every club and is probably just part of being a young footballer, but especially when you have been one of our better players and are playing for your boyhood club in what has been a very difficult season, it can't be the most encouraging experience. 

I'm sure some of these same guys who have been giving him pelters this entire season on Twitter will be all over him as 'one of our own' if he leaves Scotland and starts getting plaudits, though. 

23 hours ago, coprolite said:

Good list as well.

Like most have a feeling him playing well is last shot to get him in the shop window for a decent move. No doubt he’ll have a a lot of interest. Hoping he makes the correct move for his career. Definitely someone who can go far in the game 

23 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Chance of more money. The young guys have grew up on the premier league now a days will jump at the chance to move down there. Can’t blame them really. Chance you turn down not make it here and end up being letting go and ending up down the leagues in Scotland