The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

So looks like Duk didn't return for training at all. Going by the last two seasons he probably would have shown up overweight and not be fit for the league cup games anyway but a crappy way for his time at the club to come to an end.

It's always disappointing when outgoing players behave like spoilt brats. It's probably his agent advising him (badly), but the sensible and mature thing to do would be to get back, speak to the club, do the pre-season, and leave on good terms. If I was at a club looking at possibly buying him, his behaviour would be ringing alarm bells for me. Without any pre-season behind him, he's going to be playing catch-up with his fitness for months wherever he finishes up.

I wouldn't be surprised if season 2022-23 turns out to be the high point of his playing career, and he disappears into the lower leagues again.

toys out of pram.jpg

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Too early to panic. Any resolution with miovski will see us get moving on the buying side. I doubt the club think the squad is fine as it is. 

It’s not ideal but we’ll need to let the window play out. 

1 hour ago, Ampersand said:

Agree with this and others above. Club seems to be taking a (relatively small) gamble on having enough to get us through the groups with the squad as it is. We're likely waiting on Bojan and (to a lesser extent) Duk money coming in, or if it doesn't materialise, adjusting accordingly. It's not ideal but understandable - I'll be far more concerned if we get into August and the Miovski situation isn't resolved. 

Either way, I'm not expecting the number of new players we've seen the last couple of summers. 

There's no way that the players we have available should be struggling in the group stage.

Stranger things have happened, obviously, but I'm reasonably comfortable just now.

That could all change tomorrow evening but from what I was told about Wednesday, it looks like we'll have enough.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's no way that the players we have available should be struggling in the group stage.

Stranger things have happened, obviously, but I'm reasonably comfortable just now.

That could all change tomorrow evening but from what I was told about Wednesday, it looks like we'll have enough.

Absolutely spot on. The squad isn’t the finished article but plenty in there to negotiate this group fairly comfortably. 
Otherwise Thelin out! 

Edited by 1GregStewart

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Yeah agreed, I’m fairly relaxed. 

Not accepting the ‘badly advised’ get out for duk here btw. 

If your agent advises you to not show up and breach your contract then you should know he’s not acting in your interests. 

STV are his agents. Not the tv channel before anyone gets smart. Mostly portugal jobbers on their books and Fabio Silva. 

8 hours ago, Moorie said:

Agree with this one. Even lower league teams have had 4/5 friendlies under their. Belt prior to this weekends start of the season. Yes I know it’s hard to attract teams that we can challenge for friendlies when some still away for pre season but we could have even asked banks o Dee and cove for games. Would have attracted a good crowd for these teams. Local and both have been quite active preseason.

id have liked to have a couple more in the door before Saturday game hoping we have enough to get through these first two games with what we got. Airdrie will be the toughest game out the 3 so hopefully more bodies in by then. Always a case of quality over quantity. Do wonder if the scouting abroad is causing the red tape to get players in sooner. 

We've had 2 friendlies. Played Cove before we went to Portugal and won 6-0 and then the game against Peterhead. Thelin has said thst they've also had games within the squad.

We should still have enough to see our way through these games with some left to spare. 

Totally get the concerns around the quality of the squad on the whole. Once Miovski goes then it looks really average imo.

Need 2 wingers minimum, another midfielder (especially needed as Polvara is out until nearly the end of the year), I'd like another centre back and cover for RB. That's 5 minimum and they all have to be automatic starters imo. 

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

We've had 2 friendlies. Played Cove before we went to Portugal and won 6-0 and then the game against Peterhead. Thelin has said thst they've also had games within the squad.

We should still have enough to see our way through these games with some left to spare. 

Totally get the concerns around the quality of the squad on the whole. Once Miovski goes then it looks really average imo.

Need 2 wingers minimum, another midfielder (especially needed as Polvara is out until nearly the end of the year), I'd like another centre back and cover for RB. That's 5 minimum and they all have to be automatic starters imo. 

The thing is if we have to get 5 automatic starters then we probably need to get 10 souls in.  A 50% success rate in transfers is about as good as it gets especially in the market we work in.  We will be doing well to get 2 automatic starters from the 4 we've already signed for example.  We really need to get more out of what we've got which makes the Duk situation even worse and the Polvara injury a real blow.

So why am I looking forward to the new season?  You'd think that after 60 plus years I'd know better but no, canna wait!!

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Totally agree.

The squad as is struggles to be top 6, no matter how good Thelin is.

The defence looks poor, we’re 1 light in midfield, and two wingers needed to facilitate Thelin’s style of play. 

Minimum we need: 

RB.  Not sure Devlin is a top 6 RB & no cover for him
CM. Polvara replacement. 
RW.  Morris starting gives me the fear. 
LW. We don’t have one at all 

51 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Totally agree.

The squad as is struggles to be top 6, no matter how good Thelin is.

The defence looks poor, we’re 1 light in midfield, and two wingers needed to facilitate Thelin’s style of play. 

Minimum we need: 

RB.  Not sure Devlin is a top 6 RB & no cover for him
CM. Polvara replacement. 
RW.  Morris starting gives me the fear. 
LW. We don’t have one at all 

Would you genuinely swap our squad for Killie's, St Mirrren's or Dundee's?

32 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

No.

i didn’t say we wouldn’t be top 6, I’m saying it’ll be a struggle.

FWIW, notwithstanding there will be signings for all clubs still to come, I’ll say we’ll be 4th. (I’m assuming another few will come in).

21 hours ago, fasda2 said:

The thing is if we have to get 5 automatic starters then we probably need to get 10 souls in.  A 50% success rate in transfers is about as good as it gets especially in the market we work in.  We will be doing well to get 2 automatic starters from the 4 we've already signed for example.  We really need to get more out of what we've got which makes the Duk situation even worse and the Polvara injury a real blow.

So why am I looking forward to the new season?  You'd think that after 60 plus years I'd know better but no, canna wait!!

Me too!

On 12/07/2024 at 23:20, DukDukGoose said:

I reckon Killie’s squad is comparable. Miovski maybe edges it in your favour, but if/when he goes, along with Duk who is AWOL, I think Killie’s consistency with McInness and a settled side would edge it.

Obviously, any further transfer dealings will likely change this.

Generally squad size and quality will reflect budgets - therefore the only two that should be close comparison to AFC, would be the Edinburgh clubs.

Kennedy and Watkins ended up fringe players with us, but there’s always a chance they would move elsewhere and thrive. I was sad to lose Marley in particular.

There are so many other variables in football that dictate things like league consistency, cup runs and showing up okay in Europe.

Management, tactics and the demand from up above/supporters to play a certain way all have a bearing.

Without rehashing Independence/Brexit/McInnes, your manager will do well for you, but he has a glass ceiling - however, one that coule see you in European football most seasons.

Our new appointment looks clear risk and reward stuff from the board. Saw enough in the first half yesterday in what he’s looking to do - now we just need to get the 4 or 5 players in that possibly give us a squad that can play that way over a season.