The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

I think a really good start to the season is hiding a few of the glaring issues.

I did hear that we're struggling to get targets to move to Scotland so aligns with a lot of the thoughts on here in the previous months.

We’re light defensively.  
At LB McGarry is back up, & he’s poor.

At RB, it’s Milne who isn’t a RB 

At CB, it’s MacDonald & a relatively untried Milne. 

We need one in IMO. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

When I say relaxed I don’t mean that I think we’re absolutely sorted. 

I said at the start of the window I didn’t want us to try and rush all the recruitment in One window and I wanted us to prioritise the spine of the team whilst adding some pace if we could. I think the club have delivered that in window 1. 

Yes, still short on quality in wide areas, full back, possibly centre half and depth in certain areas is poor. But it’s pretty much what I expected. 

And I am gaining trust that thelin at least knows how to and is willing to piss with the cock he’s got. 

Exactly this ⬆️

I'm sure we'd love the squad to 100% sorted with cover in every position by 11pm tomorrow night, but we'll have to accept that Jimmy & team see this as a 2 - 3 year rebuilding project, and they're still very much in the 'discovery' phase as regards AFC and Scottish football in general. There are weaknesses in the squad, but I've seen enough of the new management's work so far to have faith that they know where we need to be better, but have the coaching ability to get the best of what we have until the next transfer window in January when I expect them to dip back into the Scandinavian market. But I'm looking forward to having Clarkson & Polvara back, as I think they'll both do well in the new system.

Meantime, there are going to be 'bumps' along the road, but I'm more confident than I've been in years that we're actually heading towards an actual destination, and not just doing lap after lap of the same soul-destroying circuit.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

We’re light defensively.  

We need one in IMO. 

One more defender seems sensible. Its all ok for one of the defenders to miss 1 or 2 games but the cover doesn't look sufficient if we have a long term injury in defence

Edited by d31

5 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

We’re light defensively.  

We need one in IMO. 

I guess rehabilitating Richardson is too much of a task for even the Swedish reanimator. 

5 hours ago, d31 said:

One more defender seems sensible. Its all ok for one of the defenders to miss 1 or 2 games but the cover doesn't look sufficient if we have a long term injury in defence

I’m staggered we’ve let Jensen go, who can cover CB & LB, with no player lined up to replace him. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I guess rehabilitating Richardson is too much of a task for even the Swedish reanimator. 

I'm confident Richardson would be as/more effective at right wing than Morris.

The PFA trial team has a couple of interesting free agents including our old pal Michael Hector...

7 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’ll leave tomorrow I’d think.

Paid off or loaned.

No idea who’s daft enough to take him though. 

I'd hope so for his sake as much as anything. 

7 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

I'm confident Richardson would be as/more effective at right wing than Morris.

The PFA trial team has a couple of interesting free agents including our old pal Michael Hector...

I was lurking on the Charlton forum when they put him on their list and the consensus was pretty much "good riddance", more for attitude and application than ability. Although football fans can be full of shit and why wiuld anyone try a leg for some diddy efl outfit? Sure you're not entirely seriously suggesting he's worth a look but i'd rather we gave the current first picks and Milne the chance first. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I'd hope so for his sake as much as anything. 

I was lurking on the Charlton forum when they put him on their list and the consensus was pretty much "good riddance", more for attitude and application than ability. Although football fans can be full of shit and why wiuld anyone try a leg for some diddy efl outfit? Sure you're not entirely seriously suggesting he's worth a look but i'd rather we gave the current first picks and Milne the chance first. 

Yeah, I was put off Hector when his career started the downward trajectory and he was talking about how much he'd love to come back.

15 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I’m staggered we’ve let Jensen go, who can cover CB & LB, with no player lined up to replace him. 

I had come to that conclusion too on Jensen.

I had completely forgotten about Richardson as well.  Almost surprised Jimmy hasn't tried his magic there, given he is at least athletic and fast. Basic defensive concentration can surely be taught - and there is a definite question mark over Devlin's ability to play Jimmyball over a 90 minute period, given it relies on full-backs overlapping the 'inverted' wingers  i.e. a fkin tough shift for anyone in their 30s.

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I had come to that conclusion too on Jensen.

I had completely forgotten about Richardson as well.  Almost surprised Jimmy hasn't tried his magic there, given he is at least athletic and fast. Basic defensive concentration can surely be taught - and there is a definite question mark over Devlin's ability to play Jimmyball over a 90 minute period, given it relies on full-backs overlapping the 'inverted' wingers  i.e. a fkin tough shift for anyone in their 30s.

Speak for yourself!

A bit concerning that we only have seven defenders, although some of them are quite versatile. 

Hopefully we manage to avoid too many injuries and suspensions there. We at least seem to have a bit of depth in the rest of the squad.

Duk will be like a new signing 😅

The announcement seems unnecessary given the nature of deadline day and hundreds of players coming available, at least on loan, in the coming hours.

Maybe a bluff, maybe a huff……

I think we look reasonably good from middle to front. Ideally might have liked another winger, but Morris has at least shown there might be a germ of something to work with, even if mostly as a blunt instrument from the bench.

Defensively, I'm still a bit unsure. I would have liked another centre-back. I don't rate Jensen, but I would have thought keeping him on at least until January might have been sensible just to cover for Molloy and Mackenzie if nobody else was coming in. An injury to either of those, even in the short-term, would be a bit of a concern. I know McGarry is still there for left-back, but not sure I'd want to depend on him for any longer than 20 minutes when we are already 3-0 up or something.

It looks like a promising transfer window for us:

Goalkeeper: A significant improvement with Mitov replacing Roos.

Defence: Molloy has performed well in the league matches after some concerning moments in the League Cup, so hopefully, he proves to be an upgrade on Jensen, Gartenmann, and Stewart. We do appear a bit short in some defensive areas, but we should start giving Milne some game time. If we face several injuries, we can always move Shinnie back into that position.

Midfield: It's a pity Barron left, as he was far from the finished article, but the signing of Nilsen is a massive upgrade – he’s been a brilliant addition. Hopefully, we’ll see Palaversa soon to make a judgement – with his signing, it was wise to loan Duncan out to get some game time.

Wingers: Disappointing to lose Hoilett, as he looked excellent just before the split when he regained his fitness. However, he did mess the club about, so we ended up signing Keskinen for a substantial fee, and hopefully, he will prove to be an even better option.

Strikers: It’s unfortunate to lose Miovski, and we will be slightly weaker in this area, but hopefully, Nisbet steps up like he did at Hibs. I haven’t been impressed with Ambrose so far, but hopefully, he just needs time to settle.

Overall, I think this transfer window has been positive for the club, and we have strengthened the squad with some quality signings.

On 29/08/2024 at 12:47, Moorie said:

Spoke about how Leven has been a help to him and his staff learning how the Scottish game works

players work hard come in on days off to go the gym

Doesn’t like looking back always looks forward and see us a project 

meal he could live off his spaghetti Bolognese as only thing he can make

would love to sit down with sir Alex Ferguson as learn the history of his time at the club

mentioned the clubs DNA a lot.

Rob Maclean mentioned would be no talk of Duk due to legal actions 

came across very well and seems like can have a laugh 

Didn’t reveal much, haha, but it was great to hear his thoughts. The fans were always going to be positive given the strong start he’s had here, but it will be interesting to see how he fares next season if things don’t start as well.