The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Don't really understand the sneering opposition to Wright from sections of our support. Quite similar to some of the stuff I read from Rangers fans about McInnes when Warburton left. He maybe wouldn't be my first choice, but he has proven himself at this level and we could certainly do much worse. 

I would quite like an obscure foreigner, to be honest. None of the 'obvious' potential candidates overly excite me. I like Archibald and Ross, but I'm not completely sold on them. Neil would likely be the best Scottish choice, although I doubt he would take it. 

People also forget that McInnes himself wasn't a hugely popular appointment either.

The longest most drawn out inevitability of the summer seems to finally be drawing to an end. I wish Del all the best, done a fantastic job here and deserves his move. Shame he leaves with only the one trophy but it was ever thus in Scottish football with successful managers of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.

In terms of replacements, my ideal one would be Alex Neil. However, having listened to his Sportsound interview, he seems to have a very high inflated opinion of himself and doesn't look like he wants to return to Scotland. So realistically the runners are:
  • Tommy Wright - Excellent job at St Johnstone, overlooked far too often due to being unfashionable, should absolutely be on the shortlist. Style of play not the greatest
  • Alan Archibald - Taken Thistle up and improved them every year, top 6 side deservedly. Question marks over his record against the Old Firm
  • Jim McIntyre - Bound to come into Milne's thinking, won a trophy with County and a big mate of McInnes's. Questions to be asked about putting Boyce wide and Billy Dodds
  • Derek Adams - Done a good job at Plymouth but ultimately a bampot and a divisive figure in dressing rooms so a No from me.
  • Alex McLeish - Seems to be washed up now but may fancy a last job before accepting retirement
  • Jack Ross - Great jobs at Alloa and St Mirren, kept the Saints up against all odds. However flavour of the month and just not long signed a new deal
  • Barry Robson - The left field option, learning his trade and may fancy the step up. Would get the respect of the players but young and naïve
Based on the above list, I'd filter it down to Wright, Archibald and Ross personally, and take it from there.

I usually enjoy your posts but I'm f*cking glad it's not your job to draw up our managerial shortlist.

28 minutes ago, d31 said:

eric black was spotted dining with george yule at the weeknd so he's involved somewhere along the lines whether thats as an advisor, negotiater with sunderland, dof or manager. remember he is still an active agent as well as coach/manager

Ah the days when I longed for black as manager

Pretty sure Ken was being facetious.   At least I hope he was.
The Magic Hat did nothing, particularly when you consider the budget he had, to suggest that he would be a good choice for us.

4 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Alex Neil would be a good replacement but think he's only wanting a job down in England.

Alan Stubbs....

Ummm, no thanks.

Did ok at Hibs. Under Stubbs' tenure, Rotherham lost ten of his fourteen games in charge, winning just once. They also conceded 37 goals during this period, leaving them with the worst goal difference in the entire Football League

Edited by akredz
clarification

There is only one candidate for me. A guy with a proven track record in our league. Consistently over performing with the resources available. Good with the media and a no nonsense stand up fellow. I would genuinely expect him to match McInnes' excellent achievements. Anyone else and I will be disappointed.

Nae luck Fermers.

4 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

There is only one candidate for me. A guy with a proven track record in our league. Consistently over performing with the resources available. Good with the media and a no nonsense stand up fellow. I would genuinely expect him to match McInnes' excellent achievements. Anyone else and I will be disappointed.

Nae luck Fermers.

Good. BoredomTwat will have a nervous breakdown.:lol:

Good. BoredomTwat will have a nervous breakdown.[emoji38]

For a while. He'll be the fourth successful manager we've had to replace in the past decade though, so I wouldn't be hugely worried.

I usually enjoy your posts but I'm f*cking glad it's not your job to draw up our managerial shortlist.

Years of watching Aberdeen's board make a mess of managerial appointments has me fearing the worst with this one.