The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I usually enjoy your posts but I'm f*cking glad it's not your job to draw up our managerial shortlist.

Years of watching Aberdeen's board make a mess of managerial appointments has me fearing the worst with this one.

Years of watching Aberdeen's board make a mess of managerial appointments has me fearing the worst with this one.

Same here.

The lack of obvious candidates gives me the fear.

My one comfort is that mcinnes was fairly underwhelming at the time of his appointment.

If McInnes provides an opinion as to his successor (as is the done thing for some reason) then he'll probably recommend Archibald or McIntyre since he's pally with them.

Wright is a steady, safe pair of hands but I'm not sure why those would be the main attributes we'd look for? Not like we're in freefall as we were when we punted McGhee and Paterson.

I'm not sure if I want Wright, but I think describing him as a safe pair of hands is doing him an injustice. If he was 20 years younger, the job he's done at Saints wouldn't be seen as 'steady', but a fantastic level of consistent over-achievement.

Indeed. He's achieved far more than McInnes, Neil or Ross, yet gets punted below them all because he's old and McInnes can't break down solid teams.

2 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm not sure if I want Wright, but I think describing him as a safe pair of hands is doing him an injustice. If he was 20 years younger, the job he's done at Saints wouldn't be seen as 'steady', but a fantastic level of consistent over-achievement.

Wrights achievements with the soft fruit gatherers are at the very least equal to those of McInnes at Aberdeen. I don't understand the safe and steady label. He has been a huge success with his current club over several years. Given a higher budget he might well go for a more adventurous style. However, you can be sure he will set his teams out to win.

Get Tommy in.

He hasn't achieved more than McInnes or Neil.

He has. Wright has a Scottish Cup win and regular top four finishes with a lower half budget. McInnes has a couple of second places finishes, with the second highest budget, and a League Cup.

Indeed. He's achieved far more than McInnes, Neil or Ross, yet gets punted below them all because he's old and McInnes can't break down solid teams.

Pretty consistent record for somebody who can't break down solid teams.

We've done "old" and solid" before, with Brown and to a lesser extent Calderwood. It worked to a point, but we stagnated and because they were never getting a bigger or better gig than us at their age it resulted in them hanging around like a bad smell to the point when the fans couldn't wait for them to go away.

If Wright doesn't have the courage to play more expansively after years of steadiness at St Johnstone, then I wouldn't be taking the risk that he'd change if he got a chance with us.

We have been banging on about getting in tougher players, particularly in midfield. Hoping the Dons would combine the tenacity of St Johnstone with the flair of our attacking players.

Tommy Wright is the ideal man to do this. It will be hard to replace Hayes and McGinn, but that is the case regardless of who the new man is.

Get Tommy in.

We have been banging on about getting in tougher players, particularly in midfield. Hoping the Dons would combine the tenacity of St Johnstone with the flair of our attacking players.
Tommy Wright is the ideal man to do this. It will be hard to replace Hayes and McGinn, but that is the case regardless of who the new man is.
Get Tommy in.

We nailed the balance in midfield towards the end of last season.

Tansey will be a more than adequate replacement for rat boy.