The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Enjoyed that tonight although may live to regret the away goal.

Shinnie is what a captain should be, a real leader.
Christie was excellent again (don't get why Celtic don't think he's good enough for them) and Stewart, Arnason and GMS showed they will be important additions.
Also thought it was O'Connor's best game in a Dons shirt but by god do we need a top striker. Maynard and Stockley are NOT the answer.

It certainly says something about the Scottish league. The best player outside of Celtic last season was bought by Celtic and couldn't get into their starting 11. Now possibly the best player (obviously too early to judge with the league season not even started but if I were to make a prediction) outside of Celtic this season isn't good enough to get into their squad and has therefore been loaned out to us.

O'Connor was excellent last night. He has taken a bit of a hammering from a section of our support recently, but he is going to be very difficult to dislodge if he continues to play like that. Fingers crossed that he does, because there is definitely a good player in there. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I can only say what everyone else is saying...looking good, but we desperately need a proper striker in.

If Motherwell want 500K for Moult, what the hell, pay it. We must have made more than that already over the 2 European ties, and if we get through this round then there'll be another full house at Pittodrie, and possibly money from live TV.

Just pay it. We can't go months on end relying on Christie to score week after week.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I can only say what everyone else is saying...looking good, but we desperately need a proper striker in.

If Motherwell want 500K for Moult, what the hell, pay it. We must have made more than that already over the 2 European ties, and if we get through this round then there'll be another full house at Pittodrie, and possibly money from live TV.

Just pay it. We can't go months on end relying on Christie to score week after week.

The indication seemed to be Motherwell are looking for £750k for Moult. Of course what they want and what they'll realistically be offered by clubs are two different things.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

The indication seemed to be Motherwell are looking for £750k for Moult. Of course what they want and what they'll realistically be offered by clubs are two different things.

£750,000 on a year's contract? Really?!

Not likely to happen in Scotland. Silly money for us to spend.

45 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

£750,000 on a year's contract? Really?!

Not likely to happen in Scotland. Silly money for us to spend.

Going by Alan Burrows comments that implied they valued him at more than £500k the yeah, really. Fwiw, £750k is roughly what they were looking for for Johnson last summer and reports are that he ended up going for a structured deal of £650k + 25% sell on. If Johnson's sold this summer as has been touted it'll take his fee to north of £1m. Unlikely as it seems I'd have thought that would be what they'd be basing their valuation on, even more so given Hayes apart Aberdeen aren't exactly proven in pulling in big fees for their best players.

A deal that gives Motherwell a substantial lump sum plus genuine potential for income further down the line is pretty much what we'd be looking for.

I still think that we're aiming to pitch Moult to the English market and any interest from Aberdeen is very much a fall back.

Edit: It's not exactly like for like given it was a dev fee but we're reported to have got £500k for an out of contract Lee Erwin from Leeds so...

Edited by capt_oats

Going by Alan Burrows comments that implied they valued him at more than £500k the yeah, really. Fwiw, £750k is roughly what they were looking for for Johnson last summer and reports are that he ended up going for a structured deal of £650k + 25% sell on. If Johnson's sold this summer as has been touted it'll take his fee to north of £1m. Unlikely as it seems I'd have thought that would be what they'd be basing their valuation on, even more so given Hayes apart Aberdeen aren't exactly proven in pulling in big fees for their best players.

That's because we don't sell our best players. We sign players to do well for us for years to come, not so we can sell them to someone else for more.

52 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

What would you be looking for to sell Kenny McLean this summer? 

Ideally £800k down to england but we'd want to avoid a situation where he signs a pre contract with a scottish club in early January and is then worthless.

Motherwell not think the same way? i.e get a guaranteed amount in this window

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Dramatic - Rooney will score against most teams, he just isn't good enough in Europe. Neither is Stockley and nobody knows about Maynard yet. 

Is Moult good enough for Europe? That's a gamble in itself. All I know about him is he has a good goalscoring record, I've not a clue if he's good at holding up play and making space for other players...

29 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That's because we don't sell our best players. We sign players to do well for us for years to come, not so we can sell them to someone else for more.

Well, quite.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's not exactly appealing for Motherwell as a selling club. Knowing that's Aberdeen's policy would probably mean we'd be looking for a greater cash sum as there's clearly less potential for future revenue. I'd imagine our preference would be to move him to a club with a similar model to ourselves rather than him going to a team where he'll be there for 3 years then move under freedom of contract like McGinn, Jack or whoever or someone like Shinnie who may well end up there for the rest of his career.

Guest Bob Mahelp
52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Well, quite.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's not exactly appealing for Motherwell as a selling club. Knowing that's Aberdeen's policy would probably mean we'd be looking for a greater cash sum as there's clearly less potential for future revenue. I'd imagine our preference would be to move him to a club with a similar model to ourselves rather than him going to a team where he'll be there for 3 years then move under freedom of contract like McGinn, Jack or whoever or someone like Shinnie who may well end up there for the rest of his career.

'Preference' has nothing to do with it when it comes to selling players. 

It's all about money. Motherwell would sell Moult to the Adolf Hitler XI if the clubs came to an agreement about fees. 

There's not the slightest sniff of interest in Moult, outside Aberdeen (as far as I'm aware). Motherwell can hold on for 750k from a 'preffered club' all they want but if nobody wants him (or refuses to pay that) then he'll sign a pre-contract in January for someone and leave Fir Park for nothing.....not a situation that a club like Motherwell, for all their bluster, can afford to let happen.

With 5 weeks left until the end of August Motherwell have a bit of leeway to stick by their guns. In a few weeks though the situation will be different.

With absolutely no scientific reasoning at all, I predict that Moult will go to Aberdeen for around 350-400K. :P

Edited by Bob Mahelp

There's rumours that Wrexham will be owed a sizeable sell on fee for Moult. Somebody on Steelmen Online reckons 40%, I really doubt it's as high as that but if it's something closer to he 25-35% range it's understandable that Motherwell would look for more than £500k. From a financial point of view there's probably more incentive to keep him here for another year rather than let him go to Aberdeen if we'll only actually see ~£325k of it.

A deal that gives Motherwell a substantial lump sum plus genuine potential for income further down the line is pretty much what we'd be looking for.
I still think that we're aiming to pitch Moult to the English market and any interest from Aberdeen is very much a fall back.
Edit: It's not exactly like for like given it was a dev fee but we're reported to have got £500k for an out of contract Lee Erwin from Leeds so...

There's rumours that Wrexham will be owed a sizeable sell on fee for Moult. Somebody on Steelmen Online reckons 40%, I really doubt it's as high as that but if it's something closer to he 25-35% range it's understandable that Motherwell would look for more than £500k. From a financial point of view there's probably more incentive to keep him here for another year rather than let him go to Aberdeen if we'll only actually see ~£325k of it.

Yeah I can see that point of view and I wouldn't blame Motherwell for that at all. Certainly I do not see us paying over £500,000 for him with only one year to go.

If we go in with £500,000 and it gets turned down, we really cannot do more than that. Financially it would be utterly reckless from our point of view.