The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

Bye GMS   thanks for the hibs games  and the odd game of brillance  but Gary Hackett had a bigger heart  . forgotten you already .

That's a weird statement.

I never saw GMS put in anything less than a full 100% stint for the Dons, despite often getting kicked from pillar to post . Always tracked back as well and put in a defensive shift.

There have been been plenty of bigger shitebags played for the club.

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I never saw GMS put in anything less than a full 100% stint for the Dons, despite often getting kicked from pillar to post . Always tracked back as well and put in a defensive shift.

It   was only the start this season he found out what  tracking back was about  and at last showed us some consistent good performances . but over the two years there was far too many games he went missing and it was usually after he took a wee knock. great player on his day but wont be hugely missed.

35 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

League Cup 3-0 defeat at Motherwell the season before last springs immediately to mind

Hooked after 27 gutless minutes

I'd imagine how many fans ultimately view GMS will be dependent on how his replacements shape up - if the likes of Hedges hit the ground running and we are doing well, he will soon be forgotten about; if they flop and we have a bad start to the season, he will be seen as a player we would really have benefitted from keeping. 

Saying that, I think some are being too dismissive - looking at the squad as it stands, I can understand why McInnes wasn't keen to hurry a player of his quality out of the door. It's a pity we didn't get more consistency out of him and I'd have liked him to have more of an end product at times, but I'm still a bit disappointed that he is going. When he was on top of his game, like in both matches against Burnley, he was just good fun to watch. It would have been nice to get a couple of really good seasons out of him, but his mind was seemingly made up. 

Edited by DrewDon

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whole team should have been hooked that night tbf.  Worst I’d seen them under McInnes.

Out of that night emerged Scott McKenna as a surprise starter for the league game at the same venue on the Sunday

The rest as they say is.................

no sign of Gleeson so far this season

surely we'll hear something before too long. I'd guess if we are letting him go (on top of not offering Ball what he wants) that we have another senior centre mid coming in soon

1 Lewis
2 Logan
4 Considine
5 McKenna
6 Devlin
7 Bryson
8 ?? Gleeson ??
9 Main
10 McGinn
11 Hedges
14 Taylor
15 Wright
16 Cosgrove
17 May
18 McLennan
19 Ferguson
20 Cerny
21 Gallagher
22 F. Ross
23 E. Ross
24 Campbell
25 Anderson
26 Virtanen
27 S. Ross
30 Rogers

I would dare say the club are keen to get Gleeson away and signed with another club. He should have been a player who went straight into the starting line-up and will be on wages that reflect that. Get him off the books and free up funds for an experienced player, probably left back, and maybe a couple of loan signings to balance out the squad.

It   was only the start this season he found out what  tracking back was about  and at last showed us some consistent good performances . but over the two years there was far too many games he went missing and it was usually after he took a wee knock. great player on his day but wont be hugely missed.

I’m sure NYCFC have acquired him for his new found ability to “track back” and not for the fact that if he does have a good game, then they can justifiably play “That’s Entertainment” as people exit the stadium at the end.

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Agree with this, his work rate was never an issue, seems to have attracted this reputation.

He could go missing in games but that was generally things just not happening for him in an attacking sense as opposed to him just shiting out of games. I remember in his first few months with us when he wasn't setting the heather alight in attacking terms I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of running he did defensively.